bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Things are going well with the shiny new bike. All good with the saddle. Bought some winter clothing. 10 miles with some small hills is not so bad, so I am going to join a 18 mile ride at the weekend.

I've gone a little bit mental and bought some Bont Vaypor shoes. Just need to decide which pedals. Any recommendations for the easiest to unclip 3 bolt cleats? Much practicing will be done on turbo trainer before venturing out.

Everyone forgets their clipped in and falls over at least once! If you keep your hands on the bars and land on your shoulder it's fine. Sticking your arm out to save yourself hurts your wrist.

Not up on road pedals but guess you can get adjustment on the spring tension. Back it right off to start with and you'll unclip easily.

> Look Keo2Max < have adjustable tension and float (via different cleats) which makes them easier than most to acclimatise to.

They're nice and easy to rotate out of too.

Start off at the minimum tension and then adjust to taste as your confidence grows.

Things are going well with the shiny new bike. All good with the saddle. Bought some winter clothing. 10 miles with some small hills is not so bad, so I am going to join a 18 mile ride at the weekend.

I've gone a little bit mental and bought some Bont Vaypor shoes. Just need to decide which pedals. Any recommendations for the easiest to unclip 3 bolt cleats? Much practicing will be done on turbo trainer before venturing out.

I know I usually extract the urine, but your ride to fitness has quite impressed me Mark :^ Are you destined to be a mere shadow of your former self next time I see you?

I know I usually extract the urine, but your ride to fitness has quite impressed me Mark :^ Are you destined to be a mere shadow of your former self next time I see you?

Might have to stop eating pies a bit more for that to happen. But will get there. I had a small salad for lunch yesterday. :shock:

I thought I would replace the cheap tyres that my bike came with with some nice Continental Gator Hardshells. Should reduce any chance of punctures I thought. Guess who got a puncture today?

I had just gone over a cattlegrid sat down, so I will let them off. Tube change was painless. One of the group used one of them compressed CO2 thingies. Gonna get me one of them.

Did 18.5 miles today. Struggled on a coupole of hills and had to stop half way up for a short brake on them. Legs a tiny bit tired from yesterday.

Can't wait for poncy carbon soled shoes to turn up.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Back in the day, I found the Hutchinson Kevlars pretty good. Never liked Continentals, always found them hard to get back on. Anyway, sounds like you're enjoying it :^

The downhills and flat bits are dead good.

It was a pinch flat on the inner. So I will let the tyres off. Pumped them to 110psi. But maybe 110kg sat down going over a cattle grid is too much for them.

Super Wammer

It was a pinch flat on the inner. So I will let the tyres off. Pumped them to 110psi. But maybe 110kg sat down going over a cattle grid is too much for them.

Yeah, maybe :)

Regarding hills, when I used to cycle regularly, on short hills I would push harder as the pain set in, does wonders for strength and fitness. On longer hills, best to just focus on the road just in front of you, don't look too far ahead otherwise it'll become a slog*. Just set a nice tempo in the appropriate gear and before you know it, you'll be at the top :^

* Obviously, you need to do this safely, don't want to run into anything:)

You've lost some weight then?:run:

Back in the day, I found the Hutchinson Kevlars pretty good. Never liked Continentals, always found them hard to get back on. Anyway, sounds like you're enjoying it :^

Only ever bought 1 set, lasted longer than the bike.

Did 18.5 miles today. Struggled on a couple of hills and had to stop half way up for a short break on them. Legs a tiny bit tired from yesterday.

Impressed you're making progress with this. Just keep the miles ticking over.:^

Sit upright and enjoy the scenery and make rude gestures at cloth ears?

Rude gestures are now customisable, and great for night-time.

ZPMfKhC.gif

Yes I have.

But maybe that was the big poo I had earlier.

Mark if you fancy it join the Wigwam Wheelers on Strava - it's not a cock waving club or anything just a bit of fun and a bit of encouragement - there's a few wammers in it. That goes for anyone else - the more the merrier. :^

My shiny shoes have arrived. A bit too posh looking for me. The soles are certainly stiff. Am going to pick up some of these ( http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-parts/pedals-pegs/shimano-pdr-540-spd-sl-road-pedals-black ) on the way home and then play at unclipping on the turbo trainer this week. Or may I should just go out and learn the hard way.

Will have a shuftie at the Strava. Seems to be all the rage at the mo'.