bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Small increments, will show benefits..... set of rollers for when the bad weather arrives.

next spring , you ll be away.

Small increments, will show benefits..... set of rollers for when the bad weather arrives.

next spring , you ll be away.

I have a turbo trainer. Will be handy for getting used to the spd's.

The plan for next year is to join a club and to try and keep up with them. First plan is to do ten miles and still feel I have the use of my legs afterwards.

The turbo will , if you use it , keep your legs and rear end used to being in the saddle, you will

reap huge benefits next spring....... just keep it up , listen to some tunes even.

We have shitloads of cycle clubs riding round the country lanes my way every weekend - fu*kers take up the whole road and still cycle 3 abreast when you pull up behind them. Fuc*ers don't pay any road tax so they can f*ck right out of my way or get put in the hedgerow. C*nts the lot of em.

I'll be looking out for you next year - the fact your bike is worth more than my car makes me even more annoyed.:grrr:

We have shitloads of cycle clubs riding round the country lanes my way every weekend - fu*kers take up the whole road and still cycle 3 abreast when you pull up behind them. Fuc*ers don't pay any road tax so they can f*ck right out of my way or get put in the hedgerow. C*nts the lot of em.

I'll be looking out for you next year - the fact your bike is worth more than my car makes me even more annoyed.:grrr:

Then who would patch up the crap you buy on ebay?

Guest soulman

Mark I've been in the industry 17 years, including 5 as a custom frame builder, I haven't read all of the thread but can tell you the only good advice is to find a good local shop with an experienced bike fitter and go and sit on lot's different brands and models. I only fit people by using a turbo as a starting point, everything before that is a guess, a very educated guess in my case, but still a guess. Everything from shoulder width to foot length influences a bike fit on a road bike....

I have a turbo trainer. Will be handy for getting used to the spd's.

The plan for next year is to join a club and to try and keep up with them. First plan is to do ten miles and still feel I have the use of my legs afterwards.

Definitely endorse the bike-fit session as a good idea. I had a Specialized one negotiated in when I bought my road bike. Even though I had a pretty good idea of basic set up, eg saddle height & reach, small things such as spacers between the cranks & pedals have made a big difference to comfort & taking a niggling pain away from my knee whilst pedalling.

When I got my bike, I was only doing 10 mile loops at an average of approx 12mph, I've had a really busy summer & so havent got out on the bike anywhere near as much as I wanted to, but am now doing 20 mile routes averaging nearly 15mph. So even though this is small beans compared to a lot of guys here, it shows that improvement can come along without having to go all out banzai about it. Don't get too hooked up comparing yourself with what others say they're doing, its about steady improvement from where YOU started, not anyone else. You may well have off days, or small set-backs, but any miles you do is better than nowt. I had use of a turbo trainer a few years ago & never got on with it, so my plan this winter is to ride on dry days & go swimming when the weathers poxy, just to keep a basic level of exercise going.

And that Trek bike looks lovely & a steal of a price!

Matt.

I have been out on me new bike. Was hoping for a lovely sunny day. Nevermind.

I am currently trying out a Specialized Toupe Comp Gel saddle. I had my bottom measured and a 155mm saddle seemed to be the way to go. The one we took off the bike was 135. I am not totally convinced that it will be a keeper. Will do a few more miles on it. Will give the Brooks a try as well.

I tried loads of saddles (including about three or four of the various Brooks range) and no matter what I tried I could never find one that totally cured "numb knob" , perineum pressure seemed to be a real problem for me.

One of the Spesh BG saddles cured it right off the bat though, 90-100 miles without even so much as a tingle in the old chap, nothing except the slight arse ache you'd get on any saddle from that much time on it, best money I ever spent. I went for an Avatar as I don't do any racey racey stuff so none of the silly money, super light road specific Spesh BG saddles were an option.

Great saddles :^

Life with the saddle going well so far. Haven't bothered with the Brooks.

Going to fit the bike computer in a bit. Will be interesting to see how far and fast I am going.

Going to Cycle Show next Saturday.

• Upvote 1

They have some good cheap stuff in Aldi now and then.

Keep an eye also on the clearance section of this place http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clearance/clothing for better quality gear if you want it. I've had plenty from them.

They have some good cheap stuff in Aldi now and then.

Keep an eye also on the clearance section of this place http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clearance/clothing for better quality gear if you want it. I've had plenty from them.

Decathlon was good as well. They have stuff that will fit me. :shock:

[video=youtube;NbY6-WouiXE]

:nerves: