bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Damn I miss this sort of adrenalin rush. Any of you guys who've ridden the mountains will have experienced it. Overtaking car after car with shear drops protected by just a lightweight helmet and lycra. Down in an aero tuck hitting speeds of around 100kph. That rush at the bottom is like a drug - no wonder these kids are addicted to it.

Posted (edited)

Get in there! Finally back on the bike - should get me over the med issues. Good fun to ride.

Edited by Tune

Just now, Tune said:

ofpewygwuehchpdzi2g4.png.3330f8fca8279dc0a4c1e199fc4e42cf.png

Get in there! Finally back on the bike - should get me over the med issues. Good fun to ride.

? How do you ride it with no pedals   :D or is it electric ?

Right. EBikes. For British roads. Assumung you have ridden a bike before and are not 74..

FXXXing useless. Slower than a normal bike thanks to government regulation ( explanation might be required).

The government is green? Twaddle. Give us 45kph e bikes =- or at least 30kph like the US. Give us the opportunity to commute to work without affecting carb levels. Allow us to arrive is a suit.

Green? No way.

Edited by Tune
Language was affected by frustration...

Need one of these Tune.

ADBA1D59-6536-4E3B-9E43-9E56A50D801F.thumb.jpeg.f7b895d2daa2381155e939f2d64b3f41.jpeg

Very nice.... assuming it’s fixed wheel,  technically it needs a front brake to be road legal.

Very nice.... assuming it’s fixed wheel,  technically it needs a front brake to be road legal.

Fixie track bike, titanium with a split seat tube for that crazy short wheelbase, work of art 😍

Brakes are not an option on this bad boy.8D5AFF61-29D8-4674-A06F-FEE5C7C4D652.thumb.jpeg.c0e4cf35287e56a6bba4e084a07a9b35.jpeg

Get the bike hacked. Who’s to know?

I agree. I think it's the only way - it's just daft that the UK legislation basically causes people to break the law. Even chipped, they still only basically double people's output if they are going a distance.

I would imagine recreational riders would struggle to manage 150w as an aerobic threshold - so only 300w. That's going to give a typical, slightly overweight adult along at about 32kph and they will be working hard to manage that.

It's undoubtedly safer and as I say, a leisure cyclist might well struggle to keep that up for an hour into work anyway.

As for extremes, as I say, in most of Europe that are "unrestricted" which in reality means 45kph/30mph - same as a car. A rider has to really work hard to manage that speed - putting out 250w plus. Most can't do that.

So the bicycle is no faster than a car in built up areas but has a stopping distance that's around 50% LESS than a car. Yet the powers that be consider that to be unsafe (as I say, number plate and insurance are compulsory in the EU) and prefer people to sit in traffic with their engines running polluting the atmosphere.

This might amuse the cyclists on the forum.

https://vimeo.com/11377028

The Scanuppia. Now I admit it beat me. The only one that did. I simply couldn't keep the front wheel down so I didn't have any control over the front end. There's really nothing like it. I tried on the MTB too - no point in trying a road bike. Nowadays with some of the MTB gearing combinations and a special seating position it might be possible - if I was 7 years younger...