bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Maybe try a women's bike - they are designed for people with shorter arms and the saddle will be designed for someone with virtually nothing between their legs.:P

With the added bonus of not chafing your belly on the crossbar :D:run:

Forget the frame height for a bit and get the shop to work out how long the top tube needs to be. Unless you have a really odd body/leg length ratio I always find that getting the reach right is the most important measurement. For example my leg length would suggest a 56cm frame but my arms are too short so I go for a 56 and put the saddle up, then I can still use a 100-110 stem which rides and looks nice. If you are over reaching the bike will be uncomfortable in a number of ways.

Forget the frame height for a bit and get the shop to work out how long the top tube needs to be. Unless you have a really odd body/leg length ratio I always find that getting the reach right is the most important measurement. For example my leg length would suggest a 56cm frame but my arms are too short so I go for a 56 and put the saddle up, then I can still use a 100-110 stem which rides and looks nice. If you are over reaching the bike will be uncomfortable in a number of ways.

Now, this is the problem with modern frame geometry. A 100mm stem, for some, is like riding with hands in pockets, as clearly illustrated here:

fat-man-on-bike.jpg

Not attractive.:nup:

Now, this is the problem with modern frame geometry. A 100mm stem, for some, is like riding with hands in pockets, as clearly illustrated here:

fat-man-on-bike.jpg

Not attractive.:nup:

That picture looks familiar.

Despite all the advice against a road bike it is an itch that needs scratching. I am sure a soft suspensiony bike would be super and lovely. But my arse is still a little sore from Sunday and I quite like it. I want to have a reason to smear chamois cream over me nads other than it just feels quite nice. I want to be able to leave the house in extra tight shorts.

I may just need to find a comfy saddle.

I might just give one of these a go.

http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/index

And then I will shortly advise you all of an almost new road bike going cheap on ebay.

You're such a cunt. Just get one of these. We all know it makes perfect sense.

Tongli.Sex.Saddle.jpg

You're such a cunt. Just get one of these. We all know it makes perfect sense.

Tongli.Sex.Saddle.jpg

Okay, so I am a little bit cuntish.

I see you have found a picture of my prostate basher.

I used to cycle hundreds of miles per week as a teenager and I never used (*or had even heard of before this thread) chamois cream.

Any bike saddle will be uncomfortable and lead to bruising when you first get back into cycling. Don't go hunting down a comfy seat because they don't really exist.

I used to cycle hundreds of miles per week as a teenager and I never used (*or had even heard of before this thread) chamois cream.

Any bike saddle will be uncomfortable and lead to bruising when you first get back into cycling. Don't go hunting down a comfy seat because they don't really exist.

This is a very good post^^^, and refers to what I was saying about getting 'bike fit'. You might as well grit your teeth and get on with it, but in the full knowledge that taking a few weeks off, will put you right back where you started.

my-ass-is-still-sore.jpg

I may have accidentally ordered a new Trek Domane 4.3

Still got to sort the saddle.

Has anyone tried a Brooks on their road bike?

I gave up on my Brooks for the road bike but there's countless others who swear by them and they do mould to your sit bones. I currently use a Fizik Antares which seems to suit my arse better. However, I've heard very good things about Rido saddles especially the Rlt for road riding.

I might have a saddle that would work. It is a WTB Speed V mtb/road saddle. Got a small channel cutout that might be alright.

So far I seem to have ignored all advice and did what I originally was thinking. Typical wam advice thread I suppose.

I shall shortly be asking about saddle sore treatment and where to buy lycra in xxxl, or maybe xxxxl.

Actually, I have had enough of this shit now... Get on the fucking bike and ride the fucker until it doesn't hurt anymore. Ok? :x

• Upvote 2

Actually, I have had enough of this shit now... Get on the fucking bike and ride the fucker until it doesn't hurt anymore. Ok? :x

Fuck off. :)

• Upvote 1