bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

Super Wammer
Best cycling advice I can give you is,

- get off them

- get out of my way

Cyclists are allowed in the middle lane?:P:D

You can get different size handlebar stems:^

Is it better to go with a larger frame and a shorter stem? The 54 I had a very quick go of last week seemed about right.

Super Wammer
Is it better to go with a larger frame and a shorter stem? The 54 I had a very quick go of last week seemed about right.

Use the formula I gave, 10" less than inside leg. Then choose the suitable stem. Many folks go for frames that really are too big. Much better I think, to go for one that's the proper size. In some ways, the smaller the better as they tend to be lighter, but also more responsive.

Thing is it's going to be difficult to get the fit right when you haven't cycled that much. If you stick with it you may well start working on your back flexibility and then be comfortable with a longer reach.

Also one brands 52 can have a longer top tube than another's. Stem lengths also effect the bikes handling. 15mm shorter on a stem feels very different.

As you've said your hands and wrists felt OK I wonder if your saddle is a bit low. That puts more weight and therefore pressure on your arse.

Super Wammer
Thing is it's going to be difficult to get the fit right when you haven't cycled that much. If you stick with it you may well start working on your back flexibility and then be comfortable with a longer reach.

Also one brands 52 can have a longer top tube than another's. Stem lengths also effect the bikes handling. 15mm shorter on a stem feels very different.

As you've said your hands and wrists felt OK I wonder if your saddle is a bit low. That puts more weight and therefore pressure on your arse.

I doubt if one manufacturer compared with another varies that much with regards to geometry. As for fit, the right size is...the right size. Regarding saddle height, that's easy. Sit on the bike, and put one pedal in the vertical position, and you should be able to put the ankle part of your foot flat on the pedal, with a straight leg. If not, adjust the seat post accordingly.

Super Wammer
If they can maintain a steady 70 mph and are prepared to indicate properly when they do change lanes, I don't see the problem :^

Hang on a cotton-pickin' minute. You said as long as they stay out of your way, and now you say you don't see a problem? Confusing...

I'm having visions of a bike seat wide enough to support your sit bones.

513e2c96e1293.preview-300.jpg

Super Wammer
I'm having visions of a bike seat wide enough to support your sit bones.

513e2c96e1293.preview-300.jpg

:D

Super Wammer
They wouldn't be in my way if they maintain the flow at a steady 70 mph. Those who wish to do illegal higher speed can go around them on an outside lane. I recommend you re-read the middle lane thread to gain a full understanding. Cyclists who ride as I have described are perfectly fine in my view and are not really in my way.

I made the blanket request I made in this thread because in reality they won't / cannot and are indeed generally in my way. Therefore they should in these real circumstances, get off and get out of my way.

Likewise:D

I was of course, being facetious

Super Wammer
I was being faecal. :)

A common trait:D

Just try to get out & ride for a month or two. Even keep a small log/diary of rides, miles, speed, aches & pains.

Then try getting a bike fit. It will look at everything from the peddles up, so knee bend, hip flex, saddle position & fit looking at your different riding positions ( ie where you hold the bars) as well as neck/ shoulder angle, elbow bend etc. be prepared for them to offer you different peddles/shoes/ saddles/ stems etc to get the fit right. The fitter will probably ask you about your targets, ie getting into racing, longer distances or just general riding for fun/ fitness.

Small changes to position can make a big difference in comfort, & if you're more comfortable, you're more likely to stick with your new hobby, rather than giving up too early. So I think a bike fit is a very worthwhile spend.

Matt.

Super Wammer
Just try to get out & ride for a month or two. Even keep a small log/diary of rides, miles, speed, aches & pains.

Then try getting a bike fit. It will look at everything from the peddles up, so knee bend, hip flex, saddle position & fit looking at your different riding positions ( ie where you hold the bars) as well as neck/ shoulder angle, elbow bend etc. be prepared for them to offer you different peddles/shoes/ saddles/ stems etc to get the fit right. The fitter will probably ask you about your targets, ie getting into racing, longer distances or just general riding for fun/ fitness.

Small changes to position can make a big difference in comfort, & if you're more comfortable, you're more likely to stick with your new hobby, rather than giving up too early. So I think a bike fit is a very worthwhile spend.

Matt.

The OP hasn't indicated his aspirations, so I'm assuming he just wants to achieve a normal level of fitness with a bike that suits this. Get the bike right, and the rest can follow.

All advice is worthless unless we know what sort of cycling you want do.

Flash git on carbon road bike waving his lycra clad arse at passing ladies?

Sit upright and enjoy the scenery and make rude gestures at cloth ears?

Slipping, sliding and jumping about in mud and filth?

Trekking around the world with a tent and floppy hat?

Getting a barrel of beer home for the weekend?

and that's before we start thinking about your physique. Heavy, fat bastards like me need something that can support them without falling apart. Bad back? Forget the head down arse up style. Who are you going to pedal with? How hilly, How quickly do you want to go? Do you want to enjoy it, unless you are a fitness freak in which case you might enjoy some suffering. How much do you want to spend?

You can do almost anything on any bike but different styles are best tackled on different machines.

Saddles vary as much as the arses that support them but different models are supposedly designed for different degrees of leaning forward.

It's a bit like hifi, a really good dealer is invaluable, but in my experience are few and far between.

All I would say is start gently and then find out what you want to do, but most importantly enjoy... apart from that inflated perineum...

This was that sort of saddle I was thinking about. http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-typhoon

Looks a bit more lke an instrument of torture.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha... Oh hang on a minute. It wasn't funny was it. Fuck off you massive cunt.

:goodone: