bmtell

Cycling for fat bastards

I was going to buy meself a shiny new road bike last week. The I though it might be an idea to try one out for a bit before parting with me money. So I hired a Trek Domane 2.summat for the day earlier. It is the sort of bike I have been contemplating.

It mostly went well. Bit more hills than I would have liked, but I guess I will get used to that sort of thing.

The big problem was my interaction with the saddle. Everything was okay with my hands on the top of the bars. There was a little dicomfort after a while with my hands on the hoods. Although I think a 54 frame might have been better than the 56 I had. Trying to cycle with my hands on the drops gave me a 'fuck no, that's not going to work' feeling in my nether regions.

So this has led me to have a bit of a rethink. My back has never been the most flexible, even when I was a skinny person. So I am not sure if I will ever get comfy on the drops.

So, do I try a saddle like an Adamo. Or do I have a look at getting a speedy hybrid? I tried a Giant hybrid afterwards for a short while and that was really rather easy going and comfortable.

Best go and change the ice pack on my perinaeum.

it takes a bit of time to get comfortable in the saddle. Remember, less is more, but you may need to try a different saddle, talk to your local shop. I suppose it goes without saying, you WERE wearing padded shorts and chamois cream, right?

Super Wammer

Pain at the outset is a given, it'll pass after a couple of weeks. It's worth thinking about an ergonomic saddle though:^ Also, it's worth making sure that you get the right sized frame. A good measure is 10" less than your inside leg for a road bike.

A good measure is 1" less than your inside leg for a road bike.

Mrs bmtell goes biking. :D

Super Wammer
Mrs bmtell goes biking. :D

I don't get that, but I am rather thick:)

it takes a bit of time to get comfortable in the saddle. Remember, less is more, but you may need to try a different saddle, talk to your local shop. I suppose it goes without saying, you WERE wearing padded shorts and chamois cream, right?

Maybve I should speak with one of them bike fitting people. Had me padded shorts on. No cream. It was more of an extreme pressure issue than chafing or owt like that.

The saddle on the Trek dips down in the middle and the front bit is raised slightly. Will investigate saddles and have a chat with a shop. And practice hills. My legs just about gave in early and I stopped on one hill. Then a senior citzen cycled past as if it was flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Pain at the outset is a given, it'll pass after a couple of weeks. It's worth thinking about an ergonomic saddle though:^ Also, it's worth making sure that you get the right sized frame. A good measure is 10" less than your inside leg for a road bike.

That would mean a 56cm frame, but I have short arms. Will see if I can try out an ergonic saddle maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd stick to the car and just accept being a fat bastard - far less effort.:D

Or do what I did and get a German pointer and wank about 6-10 times a day.

More fucking like it.

September isn't the best time of year for a new road bike. Nothing better to put you off than cold, wet and dark.

For fitness the bike doesn't matter to much so why not a cheaper hybrid for a couple of years? Then the dream road bike.

Bib shorts of a decent quality if you haven't already, worn next to the skin.

Saddle width is important. Can you feel your sit bones being supported? Too much padding on a saddle is bad the chamois should suffice. Chamois cream is only really needed on long distances.

Wish you well with your new life as a cyclist.

3 weeks of riding every day and the pain will go away. :^ I once bought a Brooks saddle as I had heard of their legendary comfort. No kidding, it took 500 miles before it didn't feel like I was straddling a bag of rocks!

September isn't the best time of year for a new road bike. Nothing better to put you off than cold, wet and dark.

For fitness the bike doesn't matter to much so why not a cheaper hybrid for a couple of years? Then the dream road bike.

Bib shorts of a decent quality if you haven't already, worn next to the skin.

Saddle width is important. Can you feel your sit bones being supported? Too much padding on a saddle is bad the chamois should suffice. Chamois cream is only really needed on long distances.

Wish you well with your new life as a cyclist.

The plan was to get the right clothing that will keep me as warm and dry as possible. And not bother when it is icy are raining hard.

I have put a used Brooks Professional on the hybris and that is pretty good with my cycling shorts.

Super Wammer
That would mean a 56cm frame, but I have short arms. Will see if I can try out an ergonic saddle maybe.

You can get different size handlebar stems:^

This was that sort of saddle I was thinking about. http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-typhoon

Looks a bit more lke an instrument of torture.

- - - Updated - - -

Best cycling advice I can give you is,

- get off them

- get out of my way

Hahahaha... Oh hang on a minute. It wasn't funny was it. Fuck off you massive cunt.