dhlshovel

Nightingale Speakers (Falcon Acoustics) Owners Club

Robot,

Do you still have the original foam front and tops?

Or have you replaced them like me?

Would be interested to see some photos?

Is your mid range driver still the original and intact? Mine is crumbling (See pic in previous post) and not sounding so good - really need to replace it.

NM1 Drivers:

The tweeter is a 1" dome but no idea what make it is.

The Woofer is a Kef B139 12" x 8.25" passive radiator

Both of these have stood the test of time

The problem drive in the NM1'S seems to be the 4" mid range it was made by Peerless (I think it was a model no: 821615)

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/peerless/821615.pdf

Seems that Peerless was taken over by Tymphany:

http://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/821615.pdf

But has long since been discontinued.

Has anyone else replaced this driver? If so with what?

Would be grateful for any info.

Hi Keith

foam tops went years ago and i have never covered them although i am having some thoughts about doing something

The mid range driver have been replaced with peerless 82165 well worth doing having seen your post i got the old units from the garage and found they had the serial and position labels on them and as you say the position is mids to center

Have you had ant thoughts about crossover capacitor replacement ?

Had a pair of NM1's that I bought from Rayleigh Hifi back in '78 which were part of a Linn/Grace/Supex Meridian 101/105 set up. Do I still regret selling the NM1s, YES.

On 26.7.2015 at 16:41, keith903 said:

I still currently own a pair of Nightingale NM1's

I bought them in either 1978 or 79. They have been in storage for many years due to lack of space. The Foam grills ant tops disintegrated long before that. I replaced them with my home made grills and tops.

They always sounded fantastic and impressed everyone who heard them - at the time they were driven by a Sony TA-5650 V-FET amp. (That has long since been gone.

Have recently got them out of storage and want to get them up and running again.

The 4" Peerless mid range units are not in very good condition though and am not sure if they would still work or not. the cones are cracking and going powdery - one is worse than the other.

Have been looking for replacements but it seems not easy to find as Peerless was taken over by Tymphany and now they have been discontinued. I think this is the speaker though http://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/821615.pdf

nm1-1.jpg

nm1-2.jpg

nm1-3.jpg

nm1-4.jpg

nm1-5.jpg

I had the same rotten foam on the mids, but you can easily get a replacement kit for them(http://reconingspeakers.com/2011/11/07/peerless-k040-mrf-midrange-repair/). The mids is called Peerless K040. It's not a very difficult job replacing the foam and its makes the old speakers play like they were new! As you can see on my pictures in this thread, there is a new foam around mine :)

41 Years ago My ex & I used to go to York each week whilst she shopped I would visit Vickers Hi Fi to listen to an amazing pair of Nightingale NM1s.

I loved those speakers but my bank manager didnt  so they never materialised in my house !

Then 41 years later.. 2 weeks ago I obtained a pair for £50.00 One sounds amazing the other not so as the mid foam surround is shot

but I have a repair kit on the way.

Now there is not much info about them around But I have seen  some with the Bass vent at the top... Mine and several others are at the bottom ????

It mentions a switch on the crossover behind the Tweeter. My crossover is behind the mid and has no switch.??

The big foam tops have been replaced by a substantial wooden top with rotted front grille.. I am going to renovate these as they offer excellent

protection for the drive units but are easily removable for playing but may look to fabricate something more original looking next year.

The front grilles have also been replaced with a now rotted foam front on narrow wooden surrounds I will renovate these with acoustic

transparent cloth to match the tops.....   At 66 I am over the moon at getting hold of these and wife 2 thinks I am insane.

I think both crossovers are ok but if not is there an alternative ? ....... hopefully my only problem is  the mid range suspension foam

I hope to get them sorted in the next 4 weeks but I do have some other commitments coming up.

I will post some pictures at a later date. Meanwhile anyone have any useful info or comments I would like to hear them.

Electrocutas. 🙂

ng1.jpg

NG2.jpg

NG3.jpg

Edited by electrocutas

On 28/05/2018 at 20:13, electrocutas said:

41 Years ago My ex & I used to go to York each week whilst she shopped I would visit Vickers Hi Fi to listen to an amazing pair of Nightingale NM1s.

I loved those speakers but my bank manager didnt  so they never materialised in my house !

Then 41 years later.. 2 weeks ago I obtained a pair for £50.00 One sounds amazing the other not so as the mid foam surround is shot

but I have a repair kit on the way.

Now there is not much info about them around But I have seen  some with the Bass vent at the top... Mine and several others are at the bottom ????

It mentions a switch on the crossover behind the Tweeter. My crossover is behind the mid and has no switch.??

The big foam tops have been replaced by a substantial wooden top with rotted front grille.. I am going to renovate these as they offer excellent

protection for the drive units but are easily removable for playing but may look to fabricate something more original looking next year.

The front grilles have also been replaced with a now rotted foam front on narrow wooden surrounds I will renovate these with acoustic

transparent cloth to match the tops.....   At 66 I am over the moon at getting hold of these and wife 2 thinks I am insane.

I think both crossovers are ok but if not is there an alternative ? ....... hopefully my only problem is  the mid range suspension foam

I hope to get them sorted in the next 4 weeks but I do have some other commitments coming up.

I will post some pictures at a later date. Meanwhile anyone have any useful info or comments I would like to hear them.

Electrocutas. 🙂

ng1.jpg

NG2.jpg

NG3.jpg

Hi Electrocutas , Welcome to the Wam. I've just logged in after a long while away. Hope the mid fix works well. Rob (fellow nm1 owner with switch and upper bass port)

Do you have a pic with the grill off?

"Do you have a pic with the grill off? "

Not at the moment but will add one shortly

. I have the parts for the mid fix but to be honest they are not too bad

and so far sound great so probably hold off for a winter job

Super Wammer

I had a pair, also acquired around the late 70s.  Not sure of the exact timing, but I recall driving from my then home in Surrey to John Jeffries’ shop in Eastbourne.  He was a dealer of the rare Dahlquist dq10 speaker, which he demonstrated with the then popular Linn, Grace arm, Supex cartridge combination. 

This unusual speaker had already encouraged him to experiment with his own design, also with the staggered drive units on discreet baffles. I loved the prototype Nightingale and soon he lent me a pair to evaluate.  At that time, they had no lids, just foam attached with Velcro on the front. I ordered some in a darker wood colour for a future date, once I’d saved up - about £250 I think.  

The later ones I then owned had ribbed foam fronts I recall. The ‘veneer’ was a sort of Formica. The tops where cut from white foam and sprayed black.  Sadly, they never sounded quite as amazing as the original prototypes I’d borrowed but I nevertheless happily used them for several years. 

The back panel was a bit hollow sounding if I remember, and I added some of that car damping sticky stuff to deaden it a bit. I also cut triangles to fit on the baffle supports.  I’d have liked to have rebuilt the crossovers with better components but never got around to it. 

John went on to design a 2, 3 and point 5 model I believe, though my recollections are sketchy. The biggest ones didn’t appeal to me on one brief listen. I only sold mine when I won a pair of Celestion SL600 at a Hi-Fi show at the Penta, near Heathrow in the mid 80s. 

I last saw John selling some quite hi end Hi-Fi advertised in Hi-Fi News, then I think the business closed. I never heard of him since and feared he may have died. Does anyone know?

HI all,

I'm picking up on this thread I've found with regard to Nightingale speakers.I bought my pair approx 1985 for £150 (ouch) and was totally blown away by their sound.I'm no Hi-Fi Hi-Flyer but want desperately to get them going again.

My enclosed mids (Peerless 821615 I think) are broken around the suspension. Can they be re-coned or perhaps.does anyone know of a pair for sale please. 8 Ohm 4 7/8" across unit.

10 hours ago, sijohn said:

HI all,

I'm picking up on this thread I've found with regard to Nightingale speakers.I bought my pair approx 1985 for £150 (ouch) and was totally blown away by their sound.I'm no Hi-Fi Hi-Flyer but want desperately to get them going again.

My enclosed mids (Peerless 821615 I think) are broken around the suspension. Can they be re-coned or perhaps.does anyone know of a pair for sale please. 8 Ohm 4 7/8" across unit.

I think member electrocutas obtained a kit to repair the mids (see earlier post in this thread). The mids on my nm1 pair are also a bit flaky (held together with some unibond). I too would be interested to know if the repair kits are still available.

Welcome to the Wam , sijohn!

Edited by dhlshovel

Hi all,

thanks for the pointer dhlshovel!! 

I managed to find ‘speaker exchange’ in the states.They have new foam suspension kits for a princely $16 a pair. 

My coils seem to be a bit noisy. Anyone any ideas on rewinds or replace please??