It Cost How Much!?!

Audio Innovations Red Hot Crew

This is a little bit odd.

6L6GC (which is what virtually all of them are) is a drop in for 5881. The very early 6L6 have a lower plate voltage rating, but the're very old and rare. 6L6GC is current production. However, neither are really a drop in for EL34s. The plate dissipation of a 5881/6L6 is lower than an EL34. I can't find the original specs for the Ai, so it depends very much on what it was originally designed for. It very much depends on the design, in terms of the plate and grid voltages. If it's designed for EL34s, then KT77 or 6CA7 are fine. 5881/6l6GC may not be.

I asked the designer!

Yes, it's OK, the cirtcuit isn't too hot for 5881s. Ideally, you would be better changing the circuit very slightly (cathode resistors), but it will work fine 'as is'.

• Upvote 2

Is it Saturday yet? What about now? I'm really looking forward to collecting my new Signal Valves! 😀😀😀

Still not Saturday yet, is it... Not long now! 😂😂😂 Spinning some Bad Manners on Vinyl at the moment... This amplifier is really rather fun... 👍 

A big thank you to GJO for these wonderful Valves. The difference in presentation was immediately obvious! I'm too excited to write any more detail for the moment... 👍 👍 👍 

Good afternoon! I've just "Pulled the Trigger" on a matched trio of Mullard ECC83 NOS Valves... 

What have I started? 

😨😨😨🤑🤑🤑

• Like 1

And they're in! Wow! 🎉🎉🎉🎊🎊🎊💡💡💡🎼🎼🎼😁😁😁

On 14/08/2019 at 14:25, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Ummm; any recommendations for Power Tubes? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Didn’t we start off with output tube options...

i would give JJ KT77’s a go as a reasonably priced option that would offer something a little different to your 34’s