It Cost How Much!?!

Audio Innovations Red Hot Crew

Does anyone have a manual or drawing / photo that shows the valve layout on the S500? I seem to have a bit of a mish mash of valves at the front including mullards, some 'blank' ones etc. I may try a bit of rolling but don't know what valve does what.

Scroll down to Valve Position Diagrams,

http://www.borderpatrol.net/aiind.htm

Cheers Jez. Sorted thank you. Dropped some genelec gold dragon ecc83s in, and a 5751 in the driver base.

My AI500 went to Definitive for a little love as there was a slight presence suck out at lower volumes one one side. Turns out it was a capacitor that was failing. Swapped them out for upgraded versions. I've got it home and I'm blown away. I'd put this above the Art Quintet and the Trafomatic I had previously. I can't believe how much energy and pep it's got. No EL34 amp I've had previously has been as enthusiastic sounding as this. Well chuffed. I believe it's set up in the lower power configuration - 12W????

Congrats with it. It's indeed a lovely amp. I did lower the output of mine as well, and it made a big difference. I sold it to get an Audio Note P2 and still miss it sometimes, especially its sexy looks at night. The AN's like a black coffin...

Enjoy it!

Regards,

Vincula

Dealer

SECOND AUDIOS

I've got another thread going on in 2 Channel about using 6SN7 valves instead if ECC82. I was so pleased with the results of swopping two of each of the ECC82 valves in my Second Audios that I couldn't resist swopping all 4.

It is a tight fit but I think the results are worth it. There wasn't enough room between the valves so I have had to resort to socket savers to raise two of the valves out of the way.

I'm just running one amp with the 6SN7 valves (well CV181 actually) and the other with existing ECC82 valves to see if there is any extra heat in the mains transformer. Hence why the covers are off.

When that is settled either by leaving as is or installing another tranny to cope with the extra current draw in the 6.3v heaters then I will do more pics with the casing back in place. I don't suppose anyone on here remembers or knows the spec of the mains tranny and whether it can cope with 4 x 0.6A instead of 4 x 0.3A? It is only doing heater duty now because Border Patrol PSUs are doing the HT stuff.

So far the listening has exceeded my expectations and my ears say the CV181 valves have taken the Second Audios to a new level. I finally think they are showing what the LV IBX-RW speakers can do.

At the moment I have no plans to hard wire 6SN7 sockets into the amps if for no other reason than they would then be too deep below the covers to accept the diameter of the 6SN7 valve. (The adaptor top finishes flush with the cover and so the 6SN7 does not have to fit through the existing cut out in the cover).

4%20up%20cv181%20left%20amp.jpg

I've had an almarro 318B in place this week. My memory of the Almarro and the LVs is that it was a great match. I convinced myself I wanted something newer and probably less likely to go pop. I've slotted the AI back in and...lets just say the Almarro is going to a new owner. 

I can't fault this amp. I'm not sure how much the mods have brought to the party but it's nothing like any EL34 amp I've used before. 

Dealer

That's good to hear Steve and it's a good result from getting the AI 500 looked at. 

My pimped Second Audios are likewise making lovely music with my LV speakers. I've put the photos on a thread in DIY. 

Hi Everyone,

I have a pair of 2nd Audios (6B4G version) which are lovely.

I also have a series 1000 preamp & series 1000 MC transformer. These are nice but I don't use them much as I prefer my Luxman phono stage.

It's all lovely looking kit and I always fancied owning some back in the day...

Simon

• Upvote 1

I've owned a couple of sets of A.I. series S1000's over the years, many years ago I luckily found a pair of S1000 SE's and stupidly sold them on, you live + learn eh....!

I'm currently trying to source a pair of 2nd Audio's to enjoy and keep in my system this time round.

:)

Love to see photo's of any Audio Innovations valve ampliers and read about them from owners.....!

Cheers.

Edited by macvisual

Would any 'Audio Innovations' owners have one spare metal grommet pin that sits/locates on the top perspex plate of any of the A.Innovations valve amps please..? This is for an audio friend of mine who's missing one and trying to source one. Cheers.

I'm of course willing to buy this and pay for postage etc...

Regards; Peter (Central Scotland)

Edited by macvisual

I don't have any spare, if i was stuck I'd DIY some, just get four small bolts of similar size, file the heads down flat, then finish them of with some matt black nail polish.

Edited by JezR

Dealer
On 26/01/2017 at 21:49, macvisual said:

Love to see photo's of any Audio Innovations valve ampliers and read about them from owners.....!

Cheers.

Peter, We have emailed about my Second Audios but you have appealed for Audio Innovations photos on here so here we go.

IMG_5447.thumb.JPG.d5885acc14a94680b4af27292ed29640.JPGIMG_5449.thumb.JPG.2cb0169eca63e19e548080b09d357a12.JPGIMG_5450.thumb.JPG.edac94d0fa3a369a0e6e7a568e9a6b5f.JPGIMG_5445.thumb.JPG.a4791c4b67d5d55505d23e3d18b2195c.JPGIMG_5453.thumb.JPG.5851a60165651bdab893bc41ac64d62c.JPG

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1