topoxforddoc

Nakamichi tapeheads..

I have my Dragon currently with Alex, can't wait to get it back and hear what it can do after all these years not being used.

Just to clarify, is this thread for Nakamichi cassette decks only, or for any Nakamichi equipment? :)

• Like 1

Just to clarify, is this thread for Nakamichi cassette decks only, or for any Nakamichi equipment? :)

Tapeheads would be an indication methinks.. ;-)

I recently acquired a BX300E. Quite amazed at how good some of my 25 year old tapes sound!

Same here, Geoff - sent it B&W in Worthing for a service, sounds fantastic! Like you say, my 25-30 year old Maxell and Thats Metal and Chrome tapes sound amazing. Just picked up the wired remote on eBay for a lot less than the going rate too.

I'm just waiting for MiniDisc revival to start so I can make a killing (2 full sized and 2 portable machines!) ;-)

I tried to join Tapeheads a couple of years ago but part of the joining process involved having to answer a 'simple' question that 'anyone' would know the answer to. It was something about American sports which we don't play in the UK and when I asked for a more reasonable international question I was advised where to go ... Not very friendly.

I tried to join Tapeheads a couple of years ago but part of the joining process involved having to answer a 'simple' question that 'anyone' would know the answer to. It was something about American sports which we don't play in the UK and when I asked for a more reasonable international question I was advised where to go ... Not very friendly.

That is unfortunate. The former owner, suggested by your timeline, has moved on. Perhaps try again...?

Just been browsing Gumtree. There is a Nakamichi RM200 wired remote control for sale near London compatible with a number of different decks. I assume must be fairly rare so a heads up for the tapeheads out there.

NAKAMICHI RM-200 For Cassette Tape Deck's ZX-9 ZX-7 LX-5 LX-3 BX-300E BX 700ZXE
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nakamichi-rm-200-for-cassette-tape-decks-zx-9-zx-7-lx-5-lx-3-bx-300e-bx-700zxe/1342650866?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Posted (edited)

A while ago I got a Nakamichi BX-300E and liked it but wanted to give a good service, which has now been done.  I  still have a few hundred cassettes from back in the day, a lot of which are studio copies of sessions from Tin Pan Alley, Hollywood, Village Way Recorders and others. I also have many radio promo tapes from back in the day.  Playing through some I just found a studio tape of Hugh Cornwell and one from TPA of Pete Townshend.  This is a really bloody good deck, pulling out amazing detail.  Just recorded a TDK MA, one of my few remaining new ones.  The source is a 15ips master of Gail Ann Dorsey’s first UK band 20TO and the sound is bloody out of this world. I also made a 192/24 .wav using a Focusrite Pro24 and Reaper and the digital is just lifeless in comparison.

I really love the build quality of real Nakamichi kit from before it became a lifestyle brand for Chinese crap.

5477F9DF-85A6-4CC9-B4CA-318A0A627F12.jpeg

Edited by DocStewart
  • Like 1

Tapeheads would be an indication methinks.. wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

Ah, good point!

My Nakamichi turntables and I will stay out of it, then. ;)

On 22/07/2019 at 04:30, Beobloke said:

Ah, good point!

My Nakamichi turntables and I will stay out of it, then. ;)

I don’t see why Adam, others have mentioned pre/power amps here.  The Nak turn tables where awesome beasts.

Had my ZX-7 serviced by B&W late last year. A very lovely thing it is, too. Along with my other decks and Walkmans, it gets regular use with blanks, old pre-recorded and new pre-recorded. Wouldn't be without it.

47554585881_f0b201ec67_b.jpg