topoxforddoc

Nakamichi tapeheads..

I am surprised that no-one has started a thread on any tape gear, let alone Naks. Anyway, the return of my Nak Dragon from its visit to Alex Nikitin's tape deck hospital in Ruislip has prompted me to revisit tape as a serious medium.

My Dragon had died with transport problems. But a week on Alex's bench has revived the old beast and brought it back snarling and breathing fire. Whilst it was there, it was completely serviced, had the dreaded orange caps replaced and was modded with Alex's Full Monty, replacing the 4066 chips with his special ANT4066 chips. If you subscribe to the tapeheads forum, you can read about his ANT4066 modifications.

For those who don't know, Alex is in fact ANT Audio (www.ant-audio.co.uk), perhaps better known as a designer for Creek as well as his own ANT Kora phono stages. He repairs cassette decks of all makes, with machines shipped in from round the world. I was astonished to see even vintage Naks being repaired, like the 1000ZXLs. Dead ZXLs and Tri-Tracers can't be serviced by B&W, but if you're patient, Alex brings them back to life too.

So, i'm looking forward to some more tape foolery. Feel free to join in.:cool:

• Like 2

I own the Nakamichi CA7 pre and PA7 power amplifiers. Designed by Nelson Pass for Threshold: they drive anything with control and quality.

Digs out Yamaha 'Cheese Wedge' cassette deck......

Don't design like this nowadays!

Digs out Yamaha 'Cheese Wedge' cassette deck......

Don't design like this nowadays!

Ooh, now that's a classic! Yummy.

I have an RX-505 that went into storage in excellent condition. I hope it comes out that way. Haven't done any cassette playing for a while.

I recently acquired a BX300E. Quite amazed at how good some of my 25 year old tapes sound!

I have the old all mechanical Nak 500 cheese wedge version of the original Yamm, hasn't been out of the box for a while.

Does a DR2 count?

Alex Nitkin is one of our own over at www.tapeheads.net where he's very well regarded.

Brian Reeves in Cheadle is an ex-Revox employee who can work wonders with their decks.

B&W still actively support Nakamichi in the UK.

Jeff Galen, ESL Labs in the States.

I'm listening to a vinyl to cassette recording of Morcheeba's "Charango" on a Maxell Metal Vertex via my Nakamichi CR-7A - it's seriously good.

Excellent - thanks for the information on a decent repair/service person.

I'm using an old Aiwa while my Nakamichi is playing up - really missing the lovely sound from the Nak deck.

I will have to contact Mr Nitkin :^.

Excellent - thanks for the information on a decent repair/service person.

I'm using an old Aiwa while my Nakamichi is playing up - really missing the lovely sound from the Nak deck.

I will have to contact Mr Nitkin :^.

If you PM me, I'll let you have Alex's mobile number. His web contact page on his website www.ant-audio.co.uk just allows you to email. B&W will service most of the more modern decks e.g. 58x, 68x, Dragon, CR & DR series etc, but not the older 1000/700s. Alex can service them all within reason, depending on the condition of the heads.