stax92

'Acoustic' curtains - room treatment

All of the best with YOUR choices.

There are better cheaper alternatives probably.

a) Select-install-maintain SUITABLY.

b) If you really want a safely-nurtured hippo, do not purchase a chicken.

c) Be kind to everything, including your state-of-mind/budget.

d) Enjoy lurvely sounds/suitable perceptions.

e) Curtains are ideally suitably for modyfying light-ingress, NOT for modifying mis-installed-placed-maintained sound.

Sometimes quality budget headphones are best alternative.

Some prefer electronic curtains.

For the "acoustic pictures" I sourced an acoustic company who do work on concert halls/venues/schools etc.

They supply proper 50mm acoustic foam by the meter.

They will also apply a layer of double sided tape to the foam, which makes it easy to apply.

Apply to the back of your picture/panel.

IMG_0920.jpg

Thats pretty much what I want to achieve, just remove some of the reflections from a flat large wall.

This is a great solution, but I have just ordered a couple of large canvas Photo to canvas pictures with frames 47mm deep and shall hopefully damp the room a little at the 'shouty' end.

Thats pretty much what I want to achieve, just remove some of the reflections from a flat large wall.

This is a great solution, but I have just ordered a couple of large canvas Photo to canvas pictures with frames 47mm deep and shall hopefully damp the room a little at the 'shouty' end.

Good luck with your project Mike.

Put some pics up when its all installed.

Rodney I've run some REW sweeps with a Umik at different positions so I've 'seen' what the room response looks like, I just want to hear what deadening the HF a bit sounds like. That's all really, nothing too technical or ambitious - I certainly don't want to listen in an anechoic chamber. There were a couple of small spikes and humps but nothing too alarming from memory - I was concentrating on the bass humps with the combined sub/main speakers that were far more noticeable. The thing is that the graph is just that so I want to see if those spikes are as potentially offensive to the ear as they might be to the eye.

I don't get the impression that DSP works above 250Hz so I won't be treating specific frequencies with that - I'll avoid specific notches for the time being but I quite like having a play around so I won't write that off. I have a window in what looks like a key reflection point and a glass door in another. Putting some curtains up instead of the roller bamboo blinds and hanging a couple of cool pictures looks like a nice way to test things. I was curious about the curtains and if anybody had tried them, it's the possible over-deadening that interested me in particular, but if I get them I'll certainly report back. The blinds are looking more likely at the mo, because I'm lazy.

Good luck with your project Mike.

Put some pics up when its all installed.

Will do. Hopefully once suitably installed they will fit in with Chumpy's criterion.

Fortunately I don't like Hippo's or headphones and I use my curtains for Bi Directional control of light ingress and egress, which makes me kind to neighbours (if I had any) and minimising light pollution to allow for more appreciation and respect for nightime nature outside, whilst allowing me to enjoy musicness and lurvely sounds inside, whilst also maximising happiness of (and being kind to) Mrs Wife as she selected said pictures to enable me to make small fine tuning adjustment by installing said pictures providing discrete and sneaky (unknown to Mrs Wife) high frequency absorption, whilst maintaining suitable budget.

You should NEVER have electric curtains.

• Upvote 1

Everyone's a winner in that situation Mike - even nature :^ I was hoping that the curtains would have a better effect on the light ingress/egress thingy but maybe I need to run some tests :P

Electric blinds are a different matter - says the man without a remote controlled amp!

Mike, Adrian (age 136) has 3 acoustic panels I made for him that he isn't using. They are similar to these- http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cm_acoustics/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

If you're not too far away maybe you could borrow them to see what effect they have. When I have time I will be making some 600x600mm panels for lending/experimenting, etc.

Mike, Adrian (age 136) has 3 acoustic panels I made for him that he isn't using. They are similar to these- http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cm_acoustics/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

If you're not too far away maybe you could borrow them to see what effect they have. When I have time I will be making some 600x600mm panels for lending/experimenting, etc.

Wow, that would be interesting.

I am near Truro, but at this moment don't drive as I have a spinal injury (or 6) and am on lots of Morphine and other meds.

I shall ask the Misses if she needs to go to Drakes Circus in the near future. ;-)