stax92

'Acoustic' curtains - room treatment

Hello all

I use a miniDSP to integrate my subwoofer but I'm aware of the limits of DSP room correction for higher frequencies. I'll be treating the room with some acoustic panels but I can't hang them in front of the glass door or window that I reckon are likely sources of reflection so I've been looking at curtains for the first time in my life :oops:

More specifically... making some out of this stuff http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_acoustic_curtain_black_160_cm.htm I've read a few reports on pro audio sites but not much else. They seem favourable whilst recognising their limitations but they're likely to be better than glass.

Anyone tried something similar?

Hmmm....must mention to the missus that my music room desperately needs new curtains :whistle:

Well, my listening rooms in general improved acoustically when I first put up curtains and I still have several bare walls.

I was also considering putting up Acoustic Curtains on the bare walls, but wonder if anyone has had success with alternative cost effective and visibly acceptable room treatments.

Well, my listening rooms in general improved acoustically when I first put up curtains and I still have several bare walls.

I was also considering putting up Acoustic Curtains on the bare walls, but wonder if anyone has had success with alternative cost effective and visibly acceptable room treatments.

24082012485_zps6dd6390c.jpg?767

Carpet over dense rockwool in a curved 5-8" deep box. Top of wall has the same behind fabric. This is acceptable to MY wife. YMMV.

24082012490_zpsecd427f7.jpg?671

Front wall is fabric 8" out on folding frames with 200kg/m3 rockwool behind. At the moment it is overdamped in the HF, so I am trying a lining of foil covered parchment (from Tesco) behind the fabric on all the top wedges. Mainly cos that's the easiest place to start, the panels just pop off.

We both like this slightly oriental look, so we can agree on appearance. And I can do all the work myself, changing it if we don't like it.

Yes

curtains will improve sound as reflections are reduced. With some space between wall and curtain will increase the how much low end will be reduced. I got my curtains at IKEA (much cheaper). Mine hide both subwoofers and bass traps.

IMGP6534_fix.jpg

Michael

Nice set up Michael. I'm thinking along those lines although if I'm going to make some (in the sense of asking the missus to) I might as well go for some material that's made for the job. A alternative is here and they even have some specifications http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilo-Wool-Serge-Acoustic-Curtain-Fabric-/111031800353?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Curtains_Blinds_CurtainFixtures_Accessories_EH&hash=item19da02d221 but they look pricey. These blinds seem to have better noise diffusing specs http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/acoustic-blinds.htm assuming they're using the same index.

Steve, your thread was an inspiration for how I want to do the rest of the room, they look great. The room is an outbuilding/summerhouse so I can put up what I like and I'd thought of something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AFHS-Pro-Acoustic-Foam-Home-Studio-Room-Treatment-Kit-24-tiles-4-Bass-Traps-/390782173477?pt=UK_Musical_Acoustic_Treatments&hash=item5afc6ec125 but I don't want it to look too much like a gimp's lair.

Dick, it looks like that should do the trick, blimey. Hope the bake off is going well.

I am thinking of getting a couple of photos printed onto canvas via the internet, about 1 metre x 0.8 metre and 4.7cm deep. Then fill the space behind each picture with rock wall.

Do you reckon the canvas will allow the rock wall to do its thing? I have no specs of the canvas.

Mike I was going to ask Steve what he used, or maybe resurrect his thread. Apart from the stuff he used as a filler there seem to be a few options from Rockwool or Knauf, I suppose I could always put some of those gimp tiles on a board and cover them with a printed sheet/canvas.

I am thinking of getting a couple of photos printed onto canvas via the internet, about 1 metre x 0.8 metre and 4.7cm deep. Then fill the space behind each picture with rock wall.

Do you reckon the canvas will allow the rock wall to do its thing? I have no specs of the canvas.

If you only want to affect LF, then canvas should have no effect. At higher frequencies, it will.

If you only want to affect LF, then canvas should have no effect. At higher frequencies, it will.

Thanks for the replies Steve (stax92) and Dick, I was just curious if those that may have experimented had found benefit by padding out behind the canvas or is most of the absorption dictated by the size of the holes in the canvas i.e. Very High Frequencies only?

I expect a photo to canvas will just be water based printer ink and should make little sonic difference to the Canvas (just in case anyone thought I might be hanging up oil paintings):P

Also the type of wadding, I have used BAF wadding in the past, but don't know if there are better products now.

What are you actually trying to achieve? Ideally you want a balance between reflection and absorption, and for most reflection to be diffuse. The treatment you need depends on your room and the issues it has.

Large plate glass usually benefits from a curtain in front, to cut down on HF reflections, but you need to be careful that you don't over damp your room.

As AmDismal says , All you will do with curtains is curtail HF and deaden the room , you might overdamp it as well , and a dead room sounds real lousy.

What you need to do is buy a $75 Umik-1 from minidsp and use REW to see where the excess decay is in the sound spectrum and treat those areas specifically rather than a shotgun type approach.

For the "acoustic pictures" I sourced an acoustic company who do work on concert halls/venues/schools etc.

They supply proper 50mm acoustic foam by the meter.

They will also apply a layer of double sided tape to the foam, which makes it easy to apply.

Apply to the back of your picture/panel.

IMG_0920.jpg