The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Maro73

Audiophysics owners

Neat setup David.

Do you use the Tempos with the grilles on? I find the Scorpios sound just a tad more clear & focused with them off. The drivers are good to look at too.:cool:

I finally scratched the itch a few months ago and acquired a set of AP Avanti 3s with side-firing woofers. Considerably larger and heavier than the Tempo 3is that I was using previously. I agree with the comments above - the side-firing woofers on the Avantis make them a little more fussy in positioning than the Tempo 3is. The Avanti 3s sound great though - speed, detail, wide tonal range, precise imaging and almost holographic soundstage. But for old time's sake, I went back to the Tempo 3i's yesterday - I'd forgotten how good they are! The Tempos have all the features I like about the AP 'house sound' - just like the Avantis, but with less bottom-end heft, not unexpected since the Avantis are significantly larger speakers. The Tempos treble in particular is sweet and well integrated with the mids. Now if only I could persuade SWMBO that we need two sets of AP speakers!!

Hi Folks, I had started a thread earlier and someone has kindly pointed me here. I've had the new Codex running in nicely the last few weeks. The Codex come with a fully enclosed 10 inch bass driver and is vented underneath each speaker, so I wonder if that makes them less fussy on positioning. I tried mine firing across my room, but yesterday moved the system and now firing down the length of my room and I do think they sound a good bit better (sofa is also now away from rear wall). I can't really fault them.....great detail which is how they brand themselves, but it's so true....moving away from Dali, it's like a veil has been lifted....and that low end.....really nicely integrated.......love them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Codex certainly look like Audio Physic speakers - which is no bad thing - but they've changed the driver arrangement quite a bit with the internal subwoofer &
front mounted bass driver & done away with the side firing bass drivers with rear port. Will be very interesting to hear these.

My Scorpio 25s are sited on the long wall of 5 x 3m room (no alternative in my room) & fire directly at the listening position - the imaging is very precise
but I might fiddle around with toe in again & see what happens.

I've only just recently started thinking about APs due to seeing lots of them come up s/h on Audioemotion / .Elite Audio. Having read up a bit on them, they sound very interesting! What's the difference between the standard and the 'plus' versions though? E.g. the Tempo 25 and 25 Plus, or Scorpio 25 / 25 Plus?

Also, is there much of a step up in performance between the Tempo, Scorpio and Virgo ranges, or is it mostly a size factor? A s/h Virgo is the same price as a new Tempo! 

10 minutes ago, josh said:

I've only just recently started thinking about APs due to seeing lots of them come up s/h on Audioemotion / .Elite Audio. Having read up a bit on them, they sound very interesting! What's the difference between the standard and the 'plus' versions though? E.g. the Tempo 25 and 25 Plus, or Scorpio 25 / 25 Plus?

Also, is there much of a step up in performance between the Tempo, Scorpio and Virgo ranges, or is it mostly a size factor? A s/h Virgo is the same price as a new Tempo! 

As I understand it the 'plus' versions have revisions to the crossover & a different damping material in the woofer chamber. This is claimed to improve bass
control -  the one aspect of the Scorpio 25 I think could be improved just a little...

Nice to see the AP fan club on the Wam is growing!

I've been an AP fan for many years for many years, first using the Tempo IIIi (same as in the images DavidKDavid has posted earlier in this thread) and since last year, a gorgeous pair of Avanti III's.

4 hours ago, josh said:

YMMV but the main difference I found moving up the range was in the bass slam or heft (or what you will). My Tempo IIIi's went down pretty low, with clear taut low frequencies, but switching to the Avanti IIIs (much bigger, with side-firing woofers) increased the tonal richness and emphasis in the bass. Both speakers share the AP house sound - incredible tonal clarity and detail, holographic sound stage, a little fussy in placement.

FWIW my advice would be to go for an s/h speaker - if you enjoy the house sound, then move up the range, with the expectation of a similar sound.

22 hours ago, DaliFan8 said:

Hi Folks, I had started a thread earlier and someone has kindly pointed me here. I've had the new Codex running in nicely the last few weeks. The Codex come with a fully enclosed 10 inch bass driver and is vented underneath each speaker, so I wonder if that makes them less fussy on positioning. I tried mine firing across my room, but yesterday moved the system and now firing down the length of my room and I do think they sound a good bit better (sofa is also now away from rear wall). I can't really fault them.....great detail which is how they brand themselves, but it's so true....moving away from Dali, it's like a veil has been lifted....and that low end.....really nicely integrated.......love them.

For both the Tempo's and Avanti's, I found that a small investment in DSP to optimize the speaker - room interactions made a huge difference. (More than for other speakers I've had in the same room - perhaps owing to the detail and clarity of the APs?)

Here's a link to another thread where I've shared my experience of DSP with the Avanti's, including the "before" and "after" curves.

6 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

The Codex certainly look like Audio Physic speakers - which is no bad thing - but they've changed the driver arrangement quite a bit with the internal subwoofer &
front mounted bass driver & done away with the side firing bass drivers with rear port. Will be very interesting to hear these.

My Scorpio 25s are sited on the long wall of 5 x 3m room (no alternative in my room) & fire directly at the listening position - the imaging is very precise
but I might fiddle around with toe in again & see what happens.

I would encourage you to try them. They are my first pair of AP, and having had Dali Epicon before I did not think I'd even consider a move away from them. The plan was to try the AP first, then try Triangle Cello.....but for me the AP were so good, I actually decided not to demo the Cello (perhaps a mistake!). The AP are the closest full range sounding speaker I've come across that is not in a massive cabinet. Yes many do add a subwoofer to get to the extreme lows, but I just don't think the codex would benefit much from a sub, they have 2 x 10 inch subs already.....so unless you have a huge room!

I've got the classic 30 in oak
Wife friendly and sound great even at low levels.
They're also good for a range of genres which I found other speakers I've owned didn't.
Overall impressed but I would like to try with an AP subwoofer at some point, trouble is you just don't see them in the second hand market. At least I've not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, jamwat said:

I've got the classic 30 in oak
Wife friendly and sound great even at low levels.
They're also good for a range of genres which I found other speakers I've owned didn't.
Overall impressed but I would like to try with an AP subwoofer at some point, trouble is you just don't see them in the second hand market. At least I've not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go !

http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/audio-physic-luna-subwoofer---dark-burr-magnolia-finish----pre-owned-10147-p.asp

Well, after a loooong speaker hunt, I think I’ll be joining the audio physic club. I’ve had a lovely pair of codex here and they saw off my other “finalists” from magico and vivid. 

The next step for me is some speaker cable. I’m not 100% believer in cables making much difference, but having worked so hard to get to where I’m at, I want to make sure I explore options and be open minded. 

In your experiences, what cables work well with AP? My other boxes are T+A HV series. Thanks. 

another day be interested in the differences to the magico and vivid and what you liked about the codex compared to them ? 

51 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

another day be interested in the differences to the magico and vivid and what you liked about the codex compared to them ? 

Hi Phil, i didn't respond on the other thread as it would've hijacked it.

In summary, the Magico S1 and the Codex have some similarities to me. Both are pretty neutral, with lovely top and bottom ends with very nice fast paced bass. Rightly or wrongly, I felt that, the S1 was perhaps a glimpse of the real Magico sound and that their real speakers start with the S3 and that I'd be hankering after them before I'd even bought the S1.

I felt that the bottom end on the S1 was compromised in that what was there was absloutely lovely, but they didn't go deep enough when needed. In summary, the Codex seemed to do wha the S1s did, plus deep bass when needed (as per the specs). I would say the S1 pipped Codex on top end though and was more rhythmic and pacy perhaps. There really wasn't much in it in terms of my preference.

The Vivids, in comparison, sounded quite coloured and a little distant in their presentation - they were excellent for certain types of music and played nicely at low volumes when the kids were in bed. My main gripe was their over powering bass when they were louder. I felt they were moving too much air and it was surpressing everything else - they need space around them IMO. The bass also lacked control (and I wouldn't blame my amp) - it was as if they were trying to sound bigger than they are, if you know what i mean.

• Like 1

ah thanks so much , yes alon wolf when presenting the a3 said that it would be more full range than the s1 but the s1 would be more refined . very interested in your experiences especially as you travelled so far and lugged all those amps about 

i have heard some audio physics some years ago and they were excelllent , so glad you have found the codex 

On 3/18/2018 at 09:54, Eddieedwards said:

Well, after a loooong speaker hunt, I think I’ll be joining the audio physic club. I’ve had a lovely pair of codex here and they saw off my other “finalists” from magico and vivid. 

The next step for me is some speaker cable. I’m not 100% believer in cables making much difference, but having worked so hard to get to where I’m at, I want to make sure I explore options and be open minded. 

In your experiences, what cables work well with AP? My other boxes are T+A HV series. Thanks. 

Congrats on your new AP Codex. :^
Regarding speaker cables ... FWIW I use Transparent 'Super' with Scorpio 25s. I've owned these cables for years & have no wish to change.
No harm in trying a few different cables.