wizons

Poor remastering of classical recordings.

I have 1980s CDs of the Lindsay Quartet playing the Beethoven and Schubert string quartets. Some of these discs were pressed by PDO in the days when they used a lacquer that corrodes on exposure to acidity (:doh:) and have 'bronzed'.

Some time ago I bought these classic recordings again in cheap box sets issued by Sanctuary Records. The sound of the reissued box sets is significantly poorer than the original discs. I've also got an EMI 16CD box set called '20th Century Masterpieces', which is great value, but the remastering is shockingly poor compared to some of the original discs. For example, the Du Pre/Barbirolli recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto sounds absolutely dreadful alongside my 1980s CD of the same recording.

Is this a worrying trend in the reissue of classic recordings? has anyone had similar experiences. I should say the differences are not subtle. Whoever mastered the Elgar on this reissue should be shot.

If this is a trend, then save your treasured discs to a hard drive before they are zapped and cannot be played anymore.

Have been puzzled to find similar.

Tennstedt Mahler box set was an example. Not subtle either.

Many times seems fine so puzzles me why they occasionally muck it up.

Probably has ever been thus. I have a box set of Bernstein doing Mahler symphonies on vinyl on CBS and the first sounds like an experiment in stereo acoustic recording.

Twas always thus IME. Poor re-issues are par for the course, probably caused by economics or availability of original source material.

I have some excellent modern remasters, and some dreadful ones.

Of course some of the 24bit "masters" on Qobuz and some DSD recordings sound awful as well, so perhaps some the good versions are the result of skilful engineers, and those doing the re-masters just don't bother altering the original.

I have 1980s CDs of the Lindsay Quartet playing the Beethoven and Schubert string quartets. Some of these discs were pressed by PDO in the days when they used a lacquer that corrodes on exposure to acidity (:doh:) and have 'bronzed'.

Some time ago I bought these classic recordings again in cheap box sets issued by Sanctuary Records. The sound of the reissued box sets is significantly poorer than the original discs. I've also got an EMI 16CD box set called '20th Century Masterpieces', which is great value, but the remastering is shockingly poor compared to some of the original discs. For example, the Du Pre/Barbirolli recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto sounds absolutely dreadful alongside my 1980s CD of the same recording.

Is this a worrying trend in the reissue of classic recordings? has anyone had similar experiences. I should say the differences are not subtle. Whoever mastered the Elgar on this reissue should be shot.

If this is a trend, then save your treasured discs to a hard drive before they are zapped and cannot be played anymore.

regarding the shooting , i have a list of many other that should be shot for services to dreadfull audio , the bbc for one on radio , the proms , the bbc scottish readio of the promes the bass end was so hyped up , and microphoes over everything, and then mixed, i mean tymps in you ear and first fiddle ramped up to compensate, why not a stereo pair behind the conductor, i havent a recording of the radio relay of the bbc scottish , i f any one has it i would pay the postage but the bass sounds like its direct injected in to the sound board,, amongst others, , some time the bbc get it right and other times it varies so much , and the limmiters seem to have a mind of there own, litterally , please leave some dynamics in the music ,

regards

lowendall ,

regarding the shooting , i have a list of many other that should be shot for services to dreadfull audio , the bbc for one on radio , the proms , the bbc scottish readio of the promes the bass end was so hyped up , and microphoes over everything, and then mixed, i mean tymps in you ear and first fiddle ramped up to compensate, why not a stereo pair behind the conductor, i havent a recording of the radio relay of the bbc scottish , i f any one has it i would pay the postage but the bass sounds like its direct injected in to the sound board,, amongst others, , some time the bbc get it right and other times it varies so much , and the limmiters seem to have a mind of there own, litterally , please leave some dynamics in the music ,

regards

lowendall ,

I agree that there are some awful Prom broadcasts, but there are excellent ones also, which begs the question why? If the venue stays the same, which it does of course, then many of the variables for said venue should be preset. Ok the size of ensemble varies but surely with a bit of care more consistency could be achieved. I would guess that there are competent engineers, and others who are complete tosspots.

Bad mastering and remastering has always been a problem. I remember from my youth mono classical recordings butchered to make them sound like stereo. Also, certain record labels were known for their 'chrome plated' (i.e. excessively bright) sound balance. (All this was from before the advent of digital recordings.)

Those excessively bright recordings still exist to this day, Chris. I find some modern DGG offerings positively painful. Listen to the Mahler 5 by that Venezuelan kids orchestra for example, absolutely excruciating.

Going back to electronically reproduced stereo, this ruined many a Decca Eclipse reissue I well remember.

Nexos 8.55046 prpper sounding orchestra the string sound good , real bottom end even to the fiddle sounds , the drums are at the back no close miking the horns are over the back at the leftside trombones dont have mic up them , just to my flaps propper recording , movement 2 listen to the thing , lovely sounding , just letting the orchestra and conductor balance things out it seems , even the tymps sound great as they have space and no close mics to fook up things, big pat on the back naxos,

I am convinced also lots of local mic messes up with lots of distance and phase issues , so come on guys , if mr naxoz can get strings to sound lke strings , hornd and trumpets to sound fine , and double basses with real depth , get your act together, .some shockers in my collection , from all camps,

I do rather like the meridian recordings , uk label lovely things , seem to be just setthem up and go ,

lowendall.

Twas always thus IME. Poor re-issues are par for the course, probably caused by economics or availability of original source material.

I have some excellent modern remasters, and some dreadful ones.

We can't blame poor remasters on record company poverty. They could leave the damn things alone for free after all. I wish they would! There are still many great DGG co releases though. And Naxos come to think of it.

So I have been listenning to a nice lso live sample cd lovely recording sound like mr faulkerner just turns up with poss a stereo pair and couple of out riggers , thank the lord every thing in were it should be , flutes in the middle horns over there tymps at the back and it doesent sound like spot mikes all over the plaace , so a big thank you sir.

it aint hard , I should imagine apart fromsatnds he gets all his gear in a bike ikea bag , and probably some sort of hard drive, digital preamps .

I am off to buy some cds,

regards

lowendall.