The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

amcluesent

Sonus Faber - best speakers in the world ?

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Yes me too,

Same qualities in a full range speaker. Is that actually possible ??? Even the 'best' small fancy reiterations can't completely nail it.

I may be imagining it, but the pair I owned had a lovely clear yet rich middle, apparent on vocalists and woodwind amongst others, and a sharp stereo image (as long as toed-in sharply to cross in front of you).  There was also a slight suckout which gave ‘added depth’ dimension.  Very alluring, if not strictly accurate.  

The SF sound has evolved since then, as mine were 1997 designs.  The stand mounted two-ways from most eras seem universally loved, though I hankered after the larger Cremonas for some time.  The cabinet work is second to none imo.  

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I may be imagining it, but the pair I owned had a lovely clear yet rich middle, apparent on vocalists and woodwind amongst others, and a sharp stereo image (as long as toed-in sharply to cross in front of you).  There was also a slight suckout which gave ‘added depth’ dimension.  Very alluring, if not strictly accurate.  

The SF sound has evolved since then, as mine were 1997 designs.  The stand mounted two-ways from most eras seem universally loved, though I hankered after the larger Cremonas for some time.  The cabinet work is second to none imo.  

Much better than your SCM40's ?

Super Wammer
Just now, eddie-baby said:

Much better than your SCM40's ?

If you’re referring to the cabinets, I think of my ATCs as immaculate but in an engineering focussed way, whereas the Sf style is more like fine furniture or musical instruments.  Especially the red violin finishes!  

I’m delighted with the ‘plain elegance’ of the curved ATCs though, and the cherry finish looks great in our room.  I definitely find square edged boxes pretty jarring to the eye nowadays unless they’re small bookshelf types.   

16 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

If you’re referring to the cabinets, I think of my ATCs as immaculate but in an engineering focussed way, whereas the Sf style is more like fine furniture or musical instruments.  Especially the red violin finishes!  

I’m delighted with the ‘plain elegance’ of the curved ATCs though, and the cherry finish looks great in our room.  I definitely find square edged boxes pretty jarring to the eye nowadays unless they’re small bookshelf types.   

How about the main thing, sound ?

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

How about the main thing, sound ?

Well they are different!  

The ATCs are definitely more accurate tonally, with crisper and deeper bass, and a very uncluttered and precise top end. Cymbals have less splash but real sizzle, for example. The mid is super on the ATCs though a bit more forward, which is great on fine recordings but exposing of weaker ones.  They lack the seductive tone of the Sf, however, and those Sf were an easier listen as background - perhaps they had a slight ‘loudness’ contour to their response.  

The ATC imaging is deep and wide when appropriate but not quite as sharp in focus; and each speaker seems have a ‘wider’ sound that suits orchestral and opera slightly more than intimate jazz or solo singers, for example.  I’m not really a rocker, but I’d say the Sf were a bit softer, though my old Krell amp gave them a good kicking!  Both are relatively unfussy on location, though tinkering does alter the result.  Hard to get badly wrong though, ime. 

My Sf were about £2,000 in 1997 and the ATC £3,750 in 2017, so I’m not sure how close that is adjusted for inflation. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 08/05/2019 at 00:43, Sir_Franc said:

I recently joined the SF club :)

47607640302_450a3d010d_c.jpgDSC01191 by Rick Francis, on Flickr

They look fabulous Rick, I know you said you were after a pair of these. Sound as good as they look?

On 09/05/2019 at 08:04, lostwin said:

They look fabulous Rick, I know you said you were after a pair of these. Sound as good as they look?

I've heard these... All I can say is WOW! 👍 👍 👍 

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

I've heard these... All I can say is WOW! 👍 👍 👍 

They’re Elipsa SE aren’t they?  Something very elegant about that shape!

Sadly they aren't the SE version. TBH I'm having trouble integrating them in to the room which is why I haven't posted a short review. I'm still working on them so hopefully they will get better :)

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, Sir_Franc said:

Sadly they aren't the SE version. TBH I'm having trouble integrating them in to the room which is why I haven't posted a short review. I'm still working on them so hopefully they will get better :)

Sorry to hear that.  They probably need plenty of breathing space.  Hard to tell from your pic. My old Sf worked best crossed over in front of listening position  

Good luck. 

The issue I'm having is due to the rear ports and being placed close to the rear wall, the Snell's didn't mind as the bass driver fired down. I also have found they work best crossed over. I'm forever hopeful I'll be able to move one day and use them in a larger room. :)

• Like 1

Super Dealer

Why don’t you just measure the room with REW and apply a little EQ?

Keith