graham67

Rogers speakers

2 hours ago, arb70sok said:

Hi - any Rogers fans out there?  I am now selling my Studio 1's.  The same speakers that appear on the first post in this thread.  (Though since the Wam's website has been upgraded I can not see the photo and just get a photobucket message instead!)  I am not selling because I don't like the Rogers Studio 1s.  I love them -  best speaker that I ever bought however I can not shift the Rubicon 2's that I bought at a reasonable price and there is not enough room in my house any more for two sets of speakers so I have decided to stick with the Rubicon's and move on the more saleable (I hope) Rogers. I have a classified add that I hope will shortly appear in the completely revamped "classifieds" but I have advertised elsewhere, so if you are interested, move quick.  Looking for what I paid graham67 for them £450 + £50(optional) for spare drivers.  They are in good condition and sound amazing, provided you have a beefy enough amp.  Collection only.  PM me if you are interested.

Having just sold mine on eBay, I can say I had a lot of genuine interest from the Far East, looking to pay a premium for both the speakers and shipping. I ended up selling to a uk bidder, buy sold the stands to Hong Kong with no hassle. The same buyer had bought some export monitors, seems there is big demand for vintage Brit kit out there...worth a thought

Super Wammer

Thanks Spen!  I don't have any packaging at all so am very much hoping to get a local pick up.

Why did you sell yours and what have you replaced them with?

The only reason I am selling mine is because I couldn't shift the Rubicon 2's I bought before the Rogers and don't want them (the Rubicons) sitting in my attic collecting dust.  I bought the Rubicon's brand new and am hoping that with use they will improve and mellow somewhat.  The Rubicon's were almost 4x the price I paid for the Rogers Studio 1's but at the moment I prefer the Rogers.  The Rubicon's are more revealing but they are also more fatiguing.  There is a lovely relaxed presentation from the Rogers.  Anyway I hope you are very happy with whatever you replaced the Rogers Studio 1's with.  I have always been tempted to give Harbeth's a try but have not had an opportunity to even demo them so far.

Oh and do you mind my asking what you got for your Rogers Studio 1's? 

Edited by arb70sok
  • Upvote 1

Hi Andrew,

Very similar tale here, replaced with Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, which do the things I was missing with the Rogers, tighter bass with extended highs, but as yet have not matched with an amp to get the right midrange. I wasn't silly with the asking price of my speakers, plenty around at the £600 mark, but I just asked £380 which covered what I paid just about. They sold pretty quickly too at that.

Agree with you about the relaxed nature of the Rogers, my wife is not happy even though she wasn't too keen on the big cabinets, she hated the sound of the Don's being fed by a Class D amp - the other extreme I suppose! I would say a good compromise are the Harbeth/Graham/Spendor modern versions....

It's a funny old merry-go-round innit. I'm 90% sure that the guy I bought my/your Studio 1's from said he'd previously been using some top of the range Dynaudio floorstanders but dumped them in favour of the Rogers, reckoned that the Studio 1's were the best speakers he'd ever owned :). He only sold them to me as he was emigrating to the States.

So I guess as always it's just finding the compromise that bothers you the least (or perhaps obsessively swapping components for your own entertainment, like me ha ha).

Edited by la toilette
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 06/10/2017 at 08:31, la toilette said:

It's a funny old merry-go-round innit. I'm 90% sure that the guy I bought my/your Studio 1's from said he'd previously been using some top of the range Dynaudio floorstanders but dumped them in favour of the Rogers, reckoned that the Studio 1's were the best speakers he'd ever owned :). He only sold them to me as he was emigrating to the States.

So I guess as always it's just finding the compromise that bothers you the least (or perhaps obsessively swapping components for your own entertainment, like me ha ha).

After spending the evening listening to a couple of amps with the Dynaudio, me sat there enjoying the hifi 3D fireworks, my wife popped up and said she 'missed the old sound'😳'Much warmer, you would hear the brushes on the drum in this track without having to turn it up'....'voices are too forward and instruments too recessed'.

Conpromise is right, I had itchy feet because of the perhaps slow bass and rolled off treble of the Quad/Rogers, but perhaps have thrown the proverbial baby out with the bath water by loosing the midrange.

I'd put this down to the speakers rather than the amp, as I had the 909 connected to the Dynaudio for a few days, and the same effect was noticeable.

Super Wammer

Thanks for the update Spen.  I do believe that my Rubicon 2's are mellowing!  I thought I had made a big mistake with them, but the more I listen, the more I am enjoying them.  They definately are more revealing than the Rogers.  I bought the Rubicon 2's brand new and I have heard people say that several 100 hours are required before making judgements.  Well I am probably getting near that now and I do believe I am beginning to really enjoy them.   I have class D mono blocs with an AudioLab 8200CDQ pre-amp in front of them.  Sometimes I find the treble a little too forward and bright but I suspect this may be more of a characteristic of the AudioLab than the speakers.  I am very keen to try a good quality passive (Music First) or tube pre-amp in front of the mono blocs to see if that helps.

Hello all

I own a pair of Rogers Ls7s. They've been in storage for a while along with the rest of my hi fi. I'm planning on setting it all up again but I'm in two minds whether to keep the Ls7s or not. They always seemed a bit wooly sounding to me and I had to sometimes reduce the bass on my amp.

However, I've been told that to get the best out of them you need a 'tight' amp and I've been playing them through a Technics SU7700. Is this a bad pairing? 

Cheers

21 minutes ago, alexanderhenry said:

Hello all

I own a pair of Rogers Ls7s. They've been in storage for a while along with the rest of my hi fi. I'm planning on setting it all up again but I'm in two minds whether to keep the Ls7s or not. They always seemed a bit wooly sounding to me and I had to sometimes reduce the bass on my amp.

However, I've been told that to get the best out of them you need a 'tight' amp and I've been playing them through a Technics SU7700. Is this a bad pairing? 

Cheers

I'd pair them with something with a high damping factor such as Rotel amps, or a Hegal and keep them away from the corners on light open stands.

2 minutes ago, alexanderhenry said:

Thanks. I'm not an expert though. What sort of stands do you mean exactly?

God I'm no expert either! Just know what I've tried or heard in the past that's worked.

This type of thing.

postadsuk.com-apollo-speaker-stands-pair

cheapest way of getting the best from Rogers I found was using Quad amps, a well trodden path, the two go very well together. A 909, or a 405 amp will provide ample power and a smooth detailed sound, and I would expect add the clarity you are missing with the Technics. I have recently sold my Rogers and Quad amps, and proof of how good this pairing is can be seen in my eBay watchlist at the moment...oh, and there is a 909 on Gumtree, but you will need a preamp.

i have owned ls6 and studio 1 and they are certainly fuller in the bass than typical.  Like spen i found old quad amps worked well, i used a well sorted 405-2 and 34 with my ls6.   If bass was a bit full in the room, i also found a good match in the pioneer a300r precision having a leaner quicker sound.

if you are not a rocker these rogers give a sophisticated BBC sound for very little outlay so don't dismiss them until you have tried some different amps and decent stands as mentioned. 

Like Graham I have owned LS6 and Studio 1's and currently have both Export Monitors and LS7's at home and  would never  have described any of them as wooly, so I think that unless your LS7's are faulty you have an amp - speakers mismatch. If you live anywhere near me you are always welcome to visit to compare your Rogers with mine as well as  to my BC1's and Quad 989's.

Edited by wizmax

I recently bought a pair of Studio 1s in very good condition including the original packing boxes and documentation.

These have lived a well traveled life having been bought in the 1980s in Christchurch and then moved to France and most recently Western Australia where the original owner sold them.

Now the tragic bit.The crossovers were damaged in France and were replaced with some  standard two way commercial crossover which was wired up to just the T27 tweeter and the woofer.Unfortunately the originals were removed and thrown away.

Does any body have a crossover schematic or a set of original crossovers?Even damaged ones?