graham67

Rogers speakers

10 hours ago, Spen ago said:

I am very tempted just to get a second hand 99/909 Quad set up on the cheap so I can at least be listening whilst trying out new bits of kit along the way.

If you do go this route then you could forget the 99 pre and just buy a 909 if you can find one on its own, maybe partner it with a passive preamp instead. I've just taken the 99 pre out of my system and am feeding the 909 direct from the variable outs of the cdp-2, and I don't feel I've lost anything at all. 

I still reckon that a good valve preamp partnered with a 909 could definitely be a contender long term. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I am now using only AudioLab 8000a to drive Rogers and so far, so good. My 8000a is a late F model.  It was marketed as "mint" condition on fleabay and David Coe from DA Audio replaced some of the more vulnerable caps, separated the pre and power stages and put in an additional relay (all documented AudioLab mods) for an additional £200.  So it probably is a better than average model.   I will try and listen with a wider range of music before officially reporting back and maybe wait until I get Dave's tube pre to compare.  But at the moment, like the CDQ, I don't think there is that much difference between the Croft/mono bloc combo and the AudioLab 8000a.  Again would be considerably cheaper than some of the other options you are considering.  I know that a lot of folks on here don't like the AudioLab much but it has always worked for me.

Edited by arb70sok

Super Wammer

I have had a loan of the "standard" Croft 25 from bluedroog for almost 2 months now.  

For the last week I have also had David Coe's new improved on the "Blue Velvet" design tube preamp.

My life is too busy for extensive and exhaustive comparisons but I did try listening to a number of different tracks first using my AudioLab 8000a, then the Croft and finally David's new design.

All three of the pre-amps were being fed from my DACDAC (http://www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor) which in turn was fed by my Cyrus CDX transport or a Sonos connect. The pre-amps (well the 8000a is integrated but i was only using the pre stage) all fed my class D mono blocs (http://www.cherryamp.com/king-60v-desktop-marachino-dtm) which were driving the Rogers Studio 1's.

My view was that both the Croft and Dave's preamp were noticeably better than the 8000a.  Where better means more resolving, clearer soundstage and tighter, sharper bass.

However in my opinion the difference was not night and day and what the comparison has ultimately told me is what a good deal a 2nd hand AudioLab 8000a can be.

After I had established that both the Croft and Dave's amp were better than the AudioLab I tried to differentiate between them.  That was much harder.  Dave's amp, to my ears, had a very similar sonic character to the Croft when played through the Studio 1's.  Dave's amp had a better build quality and the volume control and input selectors were nicer to use than those on the Croft but as far what they sounded like there was hardly anything to choose between them.  Dave's amp might have been ever so slightly more resolving than the Croft but it would be a tiny margin to my ears and I thought the Croft possibly was slightly better for pace and dynamics.  So depending on taste and the type of music you listen to you might prefer one over the other.  Spen ago - if both of these are on your short list then strongly suggest that you do AB comparisons with both using your own kit, in your own room and with the sort of music you like.

For me although they were both better than my 8000a, ultimately the margin was so small that what it convinced me of is that I am more than happy to stay with the 8000a for the time being.  I like the 8000a so much that I suspect I will need to pay several thousand pounds to get the sort of improvement that would move me off the 8000a onto a better amp and that money is probably better spent either improving sources or speakers.

While in experimentation mode I have also been comparing the power section of the 8000a to my class D mono blocs.  It is a similar story. There is a noticeable improvement with the mono blocs over the power stage of the 8000a but difference does not, in my opinion, justify the huge difference in cost between the two.  The mono blocs were the best part of £1500.  As I result of that I am thinking about moving the mono blocs on sticking with the 8000a only.  Have to stress here that typically I don't listen at high volumes.  If you like to turn the wick up then I suspect the difference might be more apparent as the mono blocs are 200W into 8 Ohm whereas the 8000a is only 60W.

Postscript. (30th Jan 2017)

Dave Coe gave me a curious demo unit in two separate cases with an umbilical cable between them.  Transpires that I did not have this umbilical properly connected so that I was not hearing Dave's amp at its full potential.  I have got Dave's amp back with clear instructions on how to connect the umbilical and it does sound significantly better than before!  However neither Dave's amp not the Croft have convinced me that I want to part with more cash for them.  They are both better than the 8000a but neither of them are so much better that I want to pay the monies to upgrade from the 8000a at this time.  i was tempted by the Croft Micro 25 currently in the classifieds but on doing another comparison session between the Croft and the 8000a I have decided to stick with the 8000a for the time being.

Edited by arb70sok
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the invaluable notes Andrew, have to admit that I have 'settled' with my Quad system for the time being, I know there are gains to be had by investing more cash but struggle with the performance/pound ratio. 

Last thing the kind fella who sold me the Quads said was 'don't upgrade just for the sake of it, you will find most equipment (unless 3-4 times the price)  will provide a different presentation, rather than 'better'. On reflection seems to be pretty wise, seeing as he had rather a high-end main rig. 

A little bit tempted by the Rogers LS7 on eBay, wondering if a smaller box might suit my room better...

hi spen, they look pretty tidy however price is already on high side. If the bass is too much on the studio 1 you could consider the much cheaper ls6 series 1 which doesn't go as deep. In the teak veneer, it is also fairly discrete looking. It has a very similar tone to the Studio 1 but not as rich or full. But it still has the familiar slightly tubby bottom end when placed close to the wall which gives that signature Rogers warmth.

It is more efficient so is a little quicker sounding and can be woken up with a powerful amp. Your quads would be ideal. It is not as accurate or revealing as the studio 1 but is a good all rounder, as long as your musical tastes are on the more cultured side. The more basic tweeter means it is more forgiving and pretty sweet at the top. It works well in small rooms. Just look for the very best condition you can get.

Imo, a real bargain for those looking for a BBC sound on a budget.

graham

• Upvote 1

Thanks Graham, top advice. I think I am probably looking for a more significant shift in bass response than another set of Rogers would offer. I love the way vocals are presented, and acoustic instruments, but bass lines sound quite lazy on such a lot of my favourite music. My musical taste falls into two camps; the easy going vocal rich/acoustic folk stuff like Feist and Beck, secondly the groove orientated funk and soul of the seventies/eighties moving up to more recent influenced artists like Daft Punk and Prince. 

The Rogers make style one sound great, style two not so much....

Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed my system in recent months, just doing what we all do I suspect and looking for that bit 'more'. Will do a bit of reading whilst not trying to fall down the hifi internet rabbit hole....

Edited by Spen ago
Spelling muppet
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Spen ago said:

The Rogers make style one sound great, style two not so much....

I have to admit I completely agree with your insightful appraisal Spen. It is the main reason why I ended up with a set of modded 70s JBLs. They are still good on simpler stuff, but brilliant on style two. I love the way they dig out the 60s swing of tom jones, 70s funk&soul such as stevie wonder, the Jacksons, electronica such as Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, and then go onto make complete sense of upbeat 80s froth. And most importantly for me, they are great rock speakers which, IMO is the Rogers' weakness. On the JBL, the bass and drum lines are very tuneful and provide the foundation and pace of the music that draw you in.

Their secret is extremely quick bass which starts and stops in a flash while still having that fatter 70s sound.

I still have my Tannoys and Rogers but use them mainly for daytime listening to BBC.

Its a pity you are not closer as you would be more than welcome to listen to them.

• Upvote 1

Might get lucky and hear some JBL's at Scalford (if better half allows me a day pass), in the meantime I'll get searching for a decent pair, cheers!

Hello, has anyone had a chance to listen to a pair of Rogers LS3/7's ?

I was wondering about a "smaller sized" replacement for a pair of 5/8's but I just love the presence and imaging of the 5/8's

I am very happy with my 'new' Rogers LS4a's I picked up at Scalford the other weekend, a really nice sound from them, good bass but not 'boomy' like the Wharfedale's I've been listening to recently. 

Super Wammer
This is a thread for all non LS 3/5a which has its own thread.

Cheeky request - I have searched and couldn't find this thread: can you give me a clue? Ta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking of trying an amplification change....Croft 7R that has been modded to provide 30w per channel (for sale on PFM), wondering if anyone could advise if this would power the Studio 1's? Aware they are pretty power hungry, and wondering if this will be an upgrade from my Quad 909/99 set up. Will be going for  25R pre too if power is sufficient.

Thanks all

I'm a big Rogers Fan, started with LS2's in the 80's with a solid state amp, graduated to a used pair of LS5/9's.  I saved up and paired them with a rebuilt McIntosh 225 valve amp.  Then, I was riding home on my bike and passed a sale of sorts - a guy had a bunch of stuff on his sidewalk, I couldn't believe a ratty pair of Rogers sitting there on the concrete.  Turned out to be the older LS6's he wanted $30 bucks for the pair!  I put them alongside my LS5/9's and was pleasantly surprised how they compared.  Like others have said, I don't think Rogers ever made a bad speaker, though you have to buy into the refined, slightly relaxed presentation.  The female voice is handled like no other speaker I have heard.

Super Wammer

Hi - any Rogers fans out there?  I am now selling my Studio 1's.  The same speakers that appear on the first post in this thread.  (Though since the Wam's website has been upgraded I can not see the photo and just get a photobucket message instead!)  I am not selling because I don't like the Rogers Studio 1s.  I love them -  best speaker that I ever bought however I can not shift the Rubicon 2's that I bought at a reasonable price and there is not enough room in my house any more for two sets of speakers so I have decided to stick with the Rubicon's and move on the more saleable (I hope) Rogers. I have a classified add that I hope will shortly appear in the completely revamped "classifieds" but I have advertised elsewhere, so if you are interested, move quick.  Looking for what I paid graham67 for them £450 + £50(optional) for spare drivers.  They are in good condition and sound amazing, provided you have a beefy enough amp.  Collection only.  PM me if you are interested.

• Upvote 1

Having owned these for several years I can confirm these studio 1s are in excellent sonic and cosmetic condition. Wilmslow refurbed or replaced the tweeters and supertweeters with like for like and replaced some crossover caps. 

As one bass driver had started to sag, I subsequently sourced an excellent pair of the correct cast rogers/swisstone bass drivers.  Speedy Steve at Magna Audio installed these and tidied up the internal wiring.

So these are an excellent sorted pair of studio 1s that do everything you expect of a classic BBC sourced design. 

Andy is also a really good guy to deal with.