graham67

Rogers speakers

Years ago I had to choose between a pair of Studio 1's and a pair of Tannoy Devons, and after about 3 months of swapping them around I finally plumped to keep the Tannoys and sell the Rogers. 13 years later and I've just done a repeat of the contest between my latest pair of Studio 1's and a pair of Tannoy Cheviots (12" HPD's), and this time the Rogers have been the clear winner with the greatly superior quality of the treble being the deciding factor. The Tannoys excel on scale and have a much more forward mid range which is great for electric guitar, but still came second overall. Not sure why I didn't reach the same conclusion as last time, but probably has a lot to do with it being a different room, different amp, and maybe me now having middle-aged ears! Anyone want to buy a tidy pair of Cheviots :P?

My Dad used to own some Rogers LS7t, I liked them.

I owned the LS1 and LS2, those were good too.

Thought I should finally post some pics of my original LS6. I bought these as a backup speaker a while back. They sound really nice in that proper Rogers way. I would not recommend them to metalheads and rockers, but they are beautifully judged for speech, acoustic, vocal, pop, classical etc and work well in smaller UK sized rooms.

Being the domestic (non-Studio) range, the build is much simpler than the officially licensed models but the sound is still very BBC. The woofer is an in-house polypropylene Swisstone unit and the tweeter is a soft dome SEAS and both seem decently built. Unlike the later vinyl wrap models, these are finished in 80s 'tastic teak veneer.

It is hard to judge from the photos but they are similar in size (and in many ways concept) to the Harbeth Compact 7.

PA040019.jpg

PA040032.jpg

PA040024.jpg

PA040023.jpg

PA040018.jpg

PA040004.jpg

I ran LS3/5a's for over 20 years and then Studio 1's for 10 more great speakers both and only replaced the 1'2 when I bought some 104/2's which seemed to have more of the same. I currently have 2 pairs of LS33's combined with a pair of AB33's and a C33 used in a cinema system.

There were a very nice looking pair of Studio 1's two stalls along from mine yesterday at Audiojumble, the chap wanted £450 for them.

I think that they are lovely/wish I had bought/retained.

I have a pair I bought new in 1986. Lovely in a small-medium size room with a Hafler pre-power combo which was probably a bit bright so a good foil to the Studio 1s' laziness.

I realised that newer speakers were being made with 2 pairs of inputs to allow bi-wiring or bi-amping (Rogers hadn't bothered with all that audiophile malarkey), and wondered if they would benefit from similar so I ventured inside. Tracing the crossover circuit showed that they were configured as 3 individual filters connected to common input and earth points, so I removed the components and hard-wired them together on a square of 12mm plywood (epoxied in place), installing 2 more sets of sockets to allow tri-wiring. I then ran them tri-wired with Kimber 8TC and 2 x 4TC, which in combination added quite a lot of extra life and some welcome clarity to their presentation. Really lovely, but a bit big and black on their stands for SWMBO, so they ended up in the loft :(

I still have them, though, waiting for a bigger living room - or maybe a change to Impulse horns or some big Snells...

I have had a pair of Roger's studio 2's for a few years now, and been able to compare many speakers to them, thanks to having a pair of monoblocks or a good dual mono amp. I have used one speaker on the left or right, and the studio 2 on the other, and the only speakers I have found so far to be a match for the Rogers were a pair of £9000 Harbeth 40.1 speakers, close contenders have been Jbl l96, Jbl L100 century, Spendor s8e, Spendor s9, Yamaha ns-1000.

Well, I am the proud new owner of a pair of Studio  1's, and weighing up my amplifier options. Quad appears to be the default, but also considering vintage amps/receivers by Pioneer/Yamaha. Amp advice would be greatly appreciated, based on what would get the best results/synergy from these beauties.

I also need to gat the cabinets restored, as there is some water damage, which is a real shame but sure can be rectified. Looking for repairers in the midlands!

Super Wammer

Before I moved them on, I ran the following with the LS6a/2's below:

Quad 306/Quad 34
Quad 306/NVA P90sa
Quad 306/Croft Micro Basic 25
Quad 405-2/Croft Micro Basic 25 

2014-05-31105608_zps9e86a841.thumb.JPG.144f4bd8776d9365ac384c1cb4d02f68.JPG

2014-05-31105626_zps0huboddt.thumb.jpg.173e7d33e4a67bb73993a0fd2d764a7a.jpg

Very nice top and mids, but polite bass with every combination...

Edited by orbscure
Updated broken images
  • Upvote 1

hi spen,

I agree with Pete that the 405-2 works well with many rogers including the ls6 and smaller model such as the ls3/5a and ls1. However I did find that my studio 1 sucked up power which caused my 405 some problems at higher volumes.

I imagine the later 909 would be a bullet proof match and should provide a stronger bass performance too.

as a left field alternative, I ran mine with a pioneer a300r precision which gave a more energetic performance at the expense of a little treble smoothness

I can also recommend the Copland csa14 which worked very well into rogers ls6 and my studio 1s giving a meaty sound but adding a lovely delicacy to the top end.

graham

• Upvote 1

On 5 September 2016 at 23:35, graham67 said:

hi spen,

I agree with Pete that the 405-2 works well with many rogers including the ls6 and smaller model such as the ls3/5a and ls1. However I did find that my studio 1 sucked up power which caused my 405 some problems at higher volumes.

I imagine the later 909 would be a bullet proof match and should provide a stronger bass performance too.

as a left field alternative, I ran mine with a pioneer a300r precision which gave a more energetic performance at the expense of a little treble smoothness

I can also recommend the Copland csa14 which worked very well into rogers ls6 and my studio 1s giving a meaty sound but adding a lovely delicacy to the top end.

graham

Thank you Graham, have narrowed down the field to Quad, Croft and looking at a number of Copland amps. Imagine the Pioneer would be in a similar performance bracket as my MF M3i. 

Just been reading how good the Fisher 500c receiver is, as I have an urge to try something classic, but none for sale in the uk.

I noticed that the recent Studio 1's you sold on the wam had been serviced by Wilmslow, wondering how I would know if this is something the set I have need? To my ears the sound good, getting up close it is almost as if all the frequencies/sound is coming from the mid/bass driver, but that might just be clever design! Wouldn't like to think that I was listening to them underperforming.

a question to all; wondering which other smaller/similar size Rogers I should keep an eye out for - seems like I have found my preferred sound😊

LS7's are excellent and sound a lot bigger than the LS6's especially in the bass but smaller cabinets than the Studio 1's.

Edited by wizmax
  • Upvote 1

hi spen, the tweeter is a little rolled off by modern stds but if it was faulty I am sure you would notice. If it sounds nice I would leave it as one can quickly spend as much as they are worth. Even after being serviced i found there was a bit of hiss from both midrange units when ear was right up against them.

try to get along and hear some other rogers models and you will soon know if they are working fine.

I have never heard ls7 but those who have usually rank it above the ls6 which is very nicely balanced in a smaller room. The revealing pro focused later model ls 1 is a fab speaker for peanuts as long as the amp and front end is civilised in the treble. it mates well with a 405-2. it doesn't look much but is a great small space monitor for more civilised material.

I can recommended the studio 7 which despite the different drivers sonically is very similar to the studio 1. It is also usefully easier to drive and cheaper as it doesn't have the domestic ls 3/6 cachet of the studio 1.

but imo sourcing a really nice well cared for pair of rogers is more important than the actual model. Spares, except for the 3/5a, are non existent so repairs are usually costly compared to their value.

atb

graham

Thanks Graham, appreciate the advice, enjoying learning about the Rogers line, first speakers I have enjoyed since I owned HHb Circle 5 monitors, which were made by Harbeth and from memory had remarkably similar drivers. Going to concentrate on getting the right amps now for the Studio 1, struggling to come to terms with the Quad 99 aesthetics at the moment, although I know it makes sense!

Hi Spencer, I'm pretty confident that there's no need to get the Studio 1's serviced. They were my second pair and sounded exactly as I remember the first pair sounding. I know some people like to get crossovers 'refreshed' but if you're happy with their sound then I'm not sure you'd improve anything, and different caps may inadvertently change them for the worse. Up to you of course. (Graham, I think the hiss you were hearing was more likely coming from your amp ;-)). No need for spares if nothing is broken! Just concentrate on getting the cabinets up to scratch if they're keepers.

As I think I mentioned when you visited, my first experience of this speaker was at a company I used to work for, where one of the directors had picked up a pair from a studio sale that looked like they'd been rolled down the road a few times. Still sounded fantastic and filled a large room with ease. 

You're right about the Quad 909/99 'look' though, to me it's not as nice to look at as some of the earlier Quad combo's like the 34/306 etc. I'd still recommend the 909 as a great match and that's probably the less ugly of the components (though my other half told me mine looked like a small photocopier >:() but you could pair that with a Croft pre-amp perhaps?

P.S. If you want to experiment with different Rogers models I'd steer clear of the LS7t, as that was by far the most disappointing of all the models I tried. Aside from the Studio 2's (which were incredible but huge) the Studio 1's remain my favourite, just above the LS5/9's.

Edited by la toilette