graham67

Rogers speakers

This is a thread for all non LS 3/5a which has its own thread.

I am lucky to have had several Rogers speakers but these are my favourite, the 3-way Studio 1. These 8" bextrene coned speakers are a descendent of the LS 3/6 program and share many similarities with the Spendor BC1.

P6110061.jpg

P6110052.jpg

They respond well to prefer transistor power and I have had good results with Quad or Pioneer amplification.

Alas, I no longer have any Rogers speakers, and I didn't keep many pictures, but I have found one of my old Export Monitors which are very similar to yours. You can also just see the Studio 1a underneath them too.

I've had more than a few different models over the years, including ls1,6,7 and also the 3/5a. At that time in my Hi-Fi journey, they would certainly have been on the end of something big and solid state, though I cant for the life of me remember what it was. Possibly Talk Reference Mono's at 200w each. They did always respond well to competent power!

export2-1.jpg

Hi Rick, very close relatives indeed!

It seems that Rogers made several very similar speakers all using the same size cabinet, but with significant revisions to drivers and crossovers. The full history can be found on this site, which mentions both the models in your pic.

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/others.htm

It is also fortunate that they sound better with their Tygan grilles in place, as unlike modern descendents such as the Stirling and Harbeth, they are not pretty unclothed!

They are lovely on speech, vocals, instrumental and more cerebral material, though they can struggle with rock sounding a bit polite.

Its a shame Rogers went under, as these old school big box BBC speakers seem to gaining in popularity after a hiatus. There are even new players in the market such as Stirling and Graham.

All the best,

Wow it must be a 67 thing, I have exactly the same speakers a set of Rogers Studio 1's and was born in the same year....

I power mine with a Fisher 500C valve amp and can confirm that they also sound lovely on the end of same valve watts, they replaced a pair of Tannoy Eaton's which they beat in pretty much area of sound reproduction. But maybe we should keep quiet about these Roger's sleepers so the price doesn't go through the roof like LS3's...

- - - Updated - - -

Some shots of mine.....

IMG-20120713-00988.jpg

IMG-20120713-00986.jpg

IMG-20120716-00995.jpg

I have owned LS4a2 (3 pairs), LS7t, LS5/8.

RogersPArig.jpg

And currently have a pair of LS6 and a pair of non-Rogers LS3/5a. Used to have a pair of Harbeth C7s too, while on the subject of BBC inspired speakers :)

P1011994.jpg

The LS4a2 were decent little things, for their size and price. The LS7t were better if occasionally a little fizzy and needing care with placement to keep the bass under control. The Harbeths that replaced them were better in every way, liked them a lot. Years and other speakers passed and I picked up a pair of mint LS6 locally. These are very early ones with soft dome tweeter and are sweeter at the top end than my old LS7t. The bass doesn't extend as low either but it is much better behaved. In fact, these are very forgiving and undemanding speakers to position and partner. There is a pleasing and consistent balance in all of the Rogers I've had. Not "impressive" speakers and not what I'd use for wall-busting high volume rock but wonderfully listenable over long periods and able to convey the important elements of the musical performance in spite of their limitations (dynamics, resolution, frequency extension). A neat trick :^

I've had a fair amount of fun with Rogers speakers. It all started with a pair of Studio 1's, which really are one of the great highlights of all my hifi fumblings. Mine came from a dealer selling on the pair for a customer, and were practically as new. They sounded splendid hanging off a Sugden A21a :love:. They were replaced with a pair of Tannoy 12" HPD's, which wasn't an easy choice to make and tbh they were equally lovely but in quite different ways.

Since then I've also owned ls5/3a's, jr149's, ls5/9's, ls7t's, and finally Studio 2's. The only ones I didn't really like were the ls7t's, as I recall they were unexpectedly bright and boxy sounding. The Studio 2's were awesome and the ultimate Rogers IMO if you have the room ('dey big) and a gutsy amp, but eventually succumbed to a sale of all my kit to raise funds for other things. I also really rated the ls5/9's, but of all the models I tried it's the Studio 1's I'd have back first.

Now using a pair of Tangent RS4's as they were relatively cheap, local, and err towards the same BBC inspired sound.....but if anyone has some Studio 1's they want to shift, let me know ;-).

but of all the models I tried it's the Studio 1's I'd have back first.

Hi Dave, it was your recommendation that led me to purchase the Studio 1 at the top of this thread. I listen to mine every day, their full midrange and smooth treble means they go with radio 3 or 4 like strawberries and cream! I was originally thinking of LS3/5As but i prefer the Studio 1s bigger more extended presentation. They also seem to be very flexible working well in smaller to medium rooms and they dont seem to be fussy about positioning.

So thanks again for the tip. But I can't help you with your last request, sorry! ;-)

All the best,

Graham.

Thought I would add my thoughts here. Used Rogers speakers professionally at the BBC for many years, especially the LS3/5A which were fantastic for speech monitoring. I blew a few pairs of woofers playing music through them though! At the time (1980s) these things weren't considered especially valuable or sought after for domestic use. Broadcasting House must have had thousands of pairs of LS3/5As. A few years ago got my hands on PM510s - the huge broadcast monitor speakers. These are the perfect speaker for low level and any other kind of listening and perform brilliantly with the ATC amp, although they are each the size of a small fridge and need two strong people to move them.

Very nice they look a bit smaller than I had imagined with some careful camouflaging maybe the wife wouldn't even notice the difference between them & my Studio 1's

Dave's pair of Studio 2s looked very similar to these. Is it right to assume that the Studio 2 is the domestic version of the 510?

The Studio 2s are a bit smaller than the PM510s.

The Studio 2s are a bit smaller than the PM510s.

I owned the Studio 2's from 1986 through to a year or so ago and sold them to the wammer above. I have used them with a Krell KSA100 flat out for a couple of hours (that's about 160w into 8 ohms and 320 into 4) and as the speakers are 4 ohm from memory, that is bloody loud (about 115dB at 1m). So loud in fact that my neighbour across the road knocked loudly on my door during Metalica (One 12" single) and I couldn't hear until the end of the track. Apparently the whole street could hear it inside their houses with the windows shut.

Not the most subtle speaker, but they go loud and have really awesome bass. They were my main speakers for quite some time during my Naim to MF A370 to Krell period. They much preferred the Krell's and I ended up with a KSA200b driving them with about 470W into 4 ohms. They also worked really well with a pair of Albarry 408 mono's (40W), but not quite enough grunt for me at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

As it say's in the article, Studio 2's are the domestic version of the LS5/8, with a super tweeter added for above 15K Hz. They can be driven active if you have 6 channels of amps and a X/over. I once blew up a Naim 250 trying that out.