graham67

Quadies Unite!

Super Wammer

Hi Tarzen , after being asked to move them a part to help the sound stage , they are now 3.5m apart , and the  5meters away from where i sit , the quad z4 like to use the wall as a base reflex , so they are about 200mm away from the walls , this improved the bass, and the sound stage was a bit wider , but they bore the pants of you after a while, i just don’t know what it is, i think the crossover has been made to show case the ribbon tweeter  which is sweet , but at the cost of some of the soundstage speed and timeing  , there is a bee or fly at the start of the division bell track this starts at the beginning of the track and gets louder and moves from left to right ,but on the quads it just suddenly turns up and then goes,  the track what do you want for me , part of the beginning is missing (muted ) in the back ground  whilst the tweeter take's over , the whole crossover seems to timed only for the tweeter and singing voice, i would bet they sound wonderful on classical music or folk , or any soft music etc , but try and play rock they seem to fail to bring the music together ,i will let you know if i chage my mind , they have had about 60 hrs now which should of burnt them in , as quad say 50 hrs, if they are kept i will have new base plinth added to the original made of granite ,to weigh the speakers  down,

hi Gwen, Imo you should get return them while you still can.  You disliked them at the start and your opinion hasn't improved much.  I suspect the balance is not suited to your favoured listening material. Send em back and i suspect you will feel a lot happier ☺ 

Then, if you want to rock, get some old Jbl monitors, they sound sensational playing the Division Bell! 

Super Wammer

well Gra i  have never had JBl stuff , but have thrown a lot in the skip , would not allow them in the door , may be they are to Your tastes but not mine, , regads

Anyone know of a web-site where I can check to see what year my QUAD equipment was manufactured? I have all the series numbers but can’t seem to find a site anywhere to check them against.

Thanks, Robin

If anyone has a Quad Vena, and finds that the iOS USB stops playing after a few minutes with later iOS versions, you need a firmware update to v.0.39.  I believe it would ordinarily be a return to factory, but you can do it yourself with the appropriate STLink programmer.

On 18/02/2019 at 13:06, Fantasque said:

Anyone know of a web-site where I can check to see what year my QUAD equipment was manufactured? I have all the series numbers but can’t seem to find a site anywhere to check them against.

Thanks, Robin

Email Rob at IAG he can let you know 

Posted (edited)
I have found a way of getting decent MC replay from the inbuilt phono stage of a 34.  Years ago I had the 34 including the two phono cards recapped and tweaked by Fidele Audio to what they called 34ST spec.

I have always found the 34’s MM stage (stock or modified) to be OK, a little safe, but a nice balance.  However it is usually bettered by a reasonable offboard phono stage.  Further the MC stage stock or modified is pretty poor at least with the MC carts I have tried, so I have stuck with MM carts into the 34.

However I stumbled upon a SUT that works very well into the 34 on-board stage.  Using a AT OC-9 ML/ii i connected a current Puresound T10 transformer into the MM stage.  I found that using a low capacitance Oyaide cable intended for phono applications also helped bring out the best.  Although not quite as detailed or as spacious, tonally I preferred it to using the T10 into an LDA PH-1 which is a very capable budget stage.  IMO, the P10 is a good combination with the OC-9 sounding dynamic and bold and is much better than other sensibly priced SUTs I have tried with this cart.  I have tried it in my main system and it works very well, just being nudged out by the Denon HA-500 which I prefer for its leading edge snap.

My findings apply to the current Puresound T10 with the 2 high/low loading toggles.  For some reason I found the first generation T10 with the 5 position loading rotary switch sonically inferior and to my ears sounded dry and flat on all positions with the OC-9.
Edited by graham67