graham67

Quadies Unite!

This is off thread, but are there any views on the current Quad QMP? I know this is not Vintage Quad, but neither is the 909. I have Electrocompaniet power amps at the moment, which are great, but ECs seem to be unreliable IMO and experience. Having used the 909 in the past and found it excellent, I wonder if the QMP would do as good a job of driving my current power thirsty speakers with all the midrange excellence of traditional Quad gear, but none of the fickle qualities of EC kit (which also has practically zero support in the UK, unlike Quad).

So any views on the Quad QMP?

Edit: can I also ask about the 606? Has anyone any views on it? I understand it was the last power amp directly designed by Peter Walker.

I'm a Quad fanatic having had 22/FM/2xII, 33/FM3/405 and 405.2, 66/66FM/66CD/606 and ESL (with or without REL Stentor subwoofer)/ESL63 (with or without Gradient SDQ63 subwoofers)/ELS989/ESL2905. Now I just have the 99FM.

Quad lost its way after Walker retired and although the 77 series looked fantastic it was never really wholly brought to market before Quad effectively went bust. Post Verity/Curtis, the brand under IAG has seen no real innovation - just a brand living on its reputation - which is such a pity.

If I had to chose one set-up for style it would be the 34/FM4 with the 306 and ESL63 loudspeakers - such a pity there was never a matching CD player.

Well having owned a 34, FM4 and 306 since 1986, which gets used daily (its the domestically acceptable system in the lounge, unlike my personal one) I've just emailed IAG about getting the 34 repaired as the balance control is on the fritz requiring excessive wiggling to output both channels - I feel so let down after only 28 years of constant use :P

Paul

For me the 34/306 was the best looking and most usable (never been into remotes) setup that came from Quad and never really thought of changing it - mmm, nice dusty pic:roll:

<a  href=QampAstereo_zps5f6f220d.jpg' alt='QampAs

Paul

I contest, that my 99 pre (with a separate phono stage it must be said) is a blinder. The CD player also makes it sing sing sing. No laid back sound here and having a musical taste from Elgar to Sasha and Digweed and almost anything in between, it is easily one of the most innocuous pieces of kit I've heard in yonks.

I used to go for the very expensive MF Preamps (and they were good ) but the Quad makes nice noises without really trying or even breaking into a tizzy..perhaps this is why people suggest they are slow or dull ? I'm not sure.

The on board phono stage is good but outclassed by my Arkless Turbo

I found the onboard phono very good too and nicely flexible - as is the pre itself. A puresound p10 saw it off but you'd expect that even it costs almost as much as the pre. Cdp2 + 909 is still one of the best value combos going.

perhaps this is why people suggest they are slow or dull ? I'm not sure.

It's more a "fashion" thing. It wasn't so long ago that a true audiophile would rather be seen dead than in possession of any type of Japanese electronics, or that you couldn't give away a Garrard turntable. Quad pre-amps are currently out of fashion among the alleged cognoscenti. As usual, the cognoscenti are speaking from another orifice altogether.

• Upvote 1

Quick question for the 34 Preamp users. What number do you turn the volume to for "normal" listening levels? I'm wondering if mine has been tinkered with as the gain sometime seems a little lound especially on CD. It's my understanding that being a late grey model it should marry to the 303 power amp and that the CD input should also be at the correct level. Is the easiest way to check to remove the top plate and see if any jumpers/resitors have been swapped etc?

This will seem somewhat sacrilegious to you Quad devotees but I've just had a look in a cupboard where I store redundant odds and ends to find three 33's, two 303's and an FM 2. It's years since they've been switched on and I think I'd be scared to now. I should really stick them in the classifieds if I thought there was any demand.

Quick question for the 34 Preamp users. What number do you turn the volume to for "normal" listening levels? I'm wondering if mine has been tinkered with as the gain sometime seems a little lound especially on CD. It's my understanding that being a late grey model it should marry to the 303 power amp and that the CD input should also be at the correct level. Is the easiest way to check to remove the top plate and see if any jumpers/resitors have been swapped etc?

Yes checking the resistors at R118/R121 & R119/R122 will show what the output is set at;

copy of instruction manual can be viewed here. Though in the usual Quad style not overly helpful - diagram would have been nice!

Paul

It's more a "fashion" thing.

Fashion ? In HiFi ? Do you really think that logical right minded people would ever be swayed such an emotion as fashion ?

Oh...hang on.....

Yes checking the resistors at R118/R121 & R119/R122 will show what the output is set at;

copy of instruction manual can be viewed here. Though in the usual Quad style not overly helpful - diagram would have been nice!

Paul

Thanks I'll have a look. Reading the manual it says normal listening levels are somewhere between 12 & 17 on the volume control. I've never got anywhere near this so it seems maybe the output is high.

Thanks I'll have a look. Reading the manual it says normal listening levels are somewhere between 12 & 17 on the volume control. I've never got anywhere near this so it seems maybe the output is high.

Really does depend on the size of room type of speakers...I don't ever set mine that high.

Paul