graham67

Quadies Unite!

I noticed a thread for Quad ESL but not their electronics so here is the place for Quad fans to own upto their affliction :)

Here is my late Fidele modified Quad 34 and Quad serviced 405-2 both with RCA sockets.

P1070008.jpg

P1070020.jpg

P1060013.jpg

Another of an earlier din equipped 34 and 405-1.

PB06001934405front.jpg

PB060017quadrearpanels.jpg

I love the industrial design and clever modular build of the 405 amps. The sound is smooth, controlled and non fatiguing and surprisingly revealing of whatever is upstream. It works very well with Tannoy and Rogers speakers and is a particularly good match with the LS3/5A. It is highly reliable, unflappable, runs fairly cool and its protection features make it a good match with delicate older speakers. I can see why they were so popular with studios and the pro market. Just make sure the two big PSU caps are in good order else the sound will degrade markedly.

The 34 is a no nonsense pre-amp with many useful features, particularly for vinyl replay. Although not as flexible, the circuit is fundamentally similar to the better equipped 44 which featured a modular input card design. Unlike the earlier (and IMO noticably inferior sounding) 33, the input sensivity can also be adjusted to better match with modern digital sources. Although a little veiled compared with more modern designs, it makes a good match with the 405 if you want to build a compact system.

The innate build quality and user friendly design of the 34 and 405 make a great intro to vintage audio with few of the perils that can accompany more tempremental brands.

:^ loved my 99 series stuff although I might get thrown out of this thread mentioning it :D

The 909 is such a fantastic power amp for the money.

Super Wammer

I have 2x quad ii amps rebuilt by peter lindley, I will put some pics up they are beautiful and sound amazing

pete

Super Wammer

oh yea I also have 2x 303 a 33 and a fm3 tha I have had serviced by quad 2 yrs ago again beautiful sound love all the quad stuff

boxed up waiting to decide what todo with them

I have a pair of Quad IIs, a Quad 22 and a Quad AM2 built into a nice cabinet with a Garrard 301 and Decca FFSS. Lovely bit of kit and I really must resurrect it from the storage it's been in since we last moved house...

Quadlyness is next to Godlyness as I think some clever person said.

I own just one Quad piece - the 909 power amp, which is one of the most iconic Quad products. It is smooth, full and powerful with a wonderful midrange. Detractors have said it is laidback and lacking extension at the frequency extremes. Well, that's only if partnered with the Quad preamps, which give it a 'snooze-y' quality.:P Partner it with a really dynamic preamp and its performance moves into the hi-quality league.:^

Will keep mine until its time to change to its QSP successor.:)

SS

I have a 44, a 303, a 606 and a pair of IIs. I bought the 33/303 first, and the 303 lasted 28 years before it rolled over and died. So I had it refurbished and it's off on the next 28. I have the 33 somewhere, and have previously had a 34. All were and are excellent. I respectfully disagree with my old pal SSM, who I know tends to be prone to absorbing audiophool mythology and received alleged wisdom - there is absolutely nothing wrong with Quad pre-amps. Their alleged deficiencies are a total myth. I have trialled the much maligned 33 against allegedly better pre-amps, and there was no difference. I even tried the replacement boards made by Net Audio for the 33, and they made precisely no difference (I ended up selling them). So, all I can do is repeat a ditty written for the Quad Owners Forum elsewhere, to a possibly familiar tune:

How thankful we’re for Quad, for instruments and voices

It wondrous things hath done, in which sound world rejoices

From Walker’s earliest steps that sent Quad on its way

With innovative gear that still sounds good today

O may this bounteous Quad through all our lives be near us,

With ever joyful sounds that never cease to cheer us;

And keeps us from the craze to upgrade when perplexed;

And frees us from the ill about what to buy next!

All praise and thanks to Quad, which gives musical heaven

Quad II, three-three, four-four, 303, fifty seven,

Although we find it sad that Huntingdon’s no more;

The Real Thing soldiers on, and shall for evermore

The 99 and 909 were the supporting acts when I demoed the audiolab 8200CD, and on a latter occasion the Elite pre and QSP for the M-DAC. A year before that it was the QC-24 and 909 when I dem'd and bought my 909.

:D

Music from the Bueno Vista Social Club and Afro-Cuban All Stars were used. I distinctively remember wishing the reproduction had more life to it, the crackling excitement in the air reminiscent of a live performance. Instead, the tempo was a bit laid-back and the brass players seemed to be a bunch of toothless old gits struggling to muster enough breath to make the top brass notes ring around my head.:P The soloists all seemed to be octogenarians back from hip surgery, there was little sense of sway and swagger to them. Oh dear.:nup: I reckon my Rega Elicit has a better preamp section than the 99 and Elite preamps. Used through the 909, imaging is tight and focused.

Any doubts that those ss Quad preamps were holding the Quad powers back were laid to rest when I partnered my Ayre pre to the 909. Oooh!:love: Loads more air and space in the treble. The top notes from the brass players had the heft and power to break free from the speakers and sound like naturally bright trumpets and trombones. And the soloists became the 50yos they are, swaying and enjoying their moments.

:D

That was the 99 pre. The 33 is its grandfather, so goodness knows how backsworld it is.:mrgreen:

SS

ps: before the rest of you quaddies fling your pipes and slippers at moi. I'm just yanking Tones' chain. The 99 and QSP pres are competent enough, but I do reckon the Quad power amps can rock out more with other preamps.

pps: reckon the QC-24 is the best of the lot:^

The power amp in the dubbing theatre where I work is a Quad 521f, which has been pumping out sound for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for about 20 years, and never a hitch.

Fantastic.

Didn't we have a vague plan 20 odd years ago to replace the Quads with some of Nic's Trilogy amps?

They'd have looked nicer for the punters!

What is that green TRIFID doing sitting on top of your HiFi :shock: