James Evans

Sonneteer Owners United Front

I used to own a Sedley phono stage. Best pound for pound amp I've ever owned, very musical with great justifiability.

Another Sonneteer fan here. :)

15408787806_eec3e8a745_b.jpgDSCF3785

With a Sedley on its way too now. :^

Do Sonneteer actually make the Campion any more? I can't see it* on their web site now, only the Orton and the Alabaster.

* however I am a half-blind geriatric fool - I may be having a senior moment

Super Wammer

Orton owner here.

Having sent off my Croft pre for modifications today, I put the Orton into my main system with Shahinians.

Sounds superb...

Hi James - could well have been, it was being sold by the Emporium. Plumbed the Sedley into my rig this morning about an hour after it arrived - it was absolutely stone-cold so first impressions are therefore unreliable. Played a couple of tracks via the resident Aria, then via the Sedley. I only managed about 15 mins or so listening as had to nip off to work but from that the Aria is a better stage - it just fizzes with energy and life, sounds more spacious too. The Sedley's more tame, considered, mature even but doesn't have as much fire in its belly - it did loosen up noticeably in that short session though so we'll come back to it tomorrow. Will probably need to have a fiddle with the settings but kept it close to the Aria's ie 100 ohms which works great with the Benz.

One thing which did surprise me is how damn heavy the Sedley is - it's virtually the same weight as the Campion. Feels like they didn't mess around with the size of the transformer.

Photo...

15740697446_3c1bea7a29_c.jpgDSCF4494

Richard, was that the sedley that appeared on ebay at the weekend?

Gyro, the Campion is no longer made sadly.

Thanks James. :^ Well, more like :x actually, but you get what I mean.

Super Wammer
Orton owner here.

Having sent off my Croft pre for modifications today, I put the Orton into my main system with Shahinians.

Sounds superb...

So how would you rate the Orton compared with the Croft combination? I have hear the Orton briefly with some Harbeths and was impressed, but think the Croft combo gives more scale, better soundstage etc. - but that's probably subjective; thought the Orton very refined. :dunno:

Super Wammer

I still prefer the crofts - a fuller and bigger sound but the orton still has something special

Super Wammer
I still prefer the crofts - a fuller and bigger sound but the orton still has something special

Interesting. This should probably move to the Croft section, but what modifications are you making out of curiosity and possible self-interest?

A new owner of a sonneteer orton mk2 bought on here and must say its a

wonderful amp which took me by surprise even though I had read great things about it

it replaced my bel canto s300i a good amp but the Orton is something special.

Is there much a difference sound wise to the latest mk4?

billy.

Having bought and love a pair Harbeth P3esr's I felt my £9300 Lavardin IT-15 was a bit of overkill moneywise. Sounded fantastic but felt I could achieve a very respectable sound for a lot less.

Spoke to a few dealers (a couple sold Sonneteer) and got Sugden IA4, Croft 7R and Primaluna Prologue. I didn't want to return to valves, the Sugden was too big for my rack and although a lot of users use Croft with P3's I wasn't convinced. No reason just the grey matter knocking against it.

Then spoke to my friend and famed Wammer Steve Bourne. Yes he who has probably owned more kit than Richer Sounds. He had some experience of P3's and I have visted him so had an idea of his room and his likes and dislikes. He is also a lovely guy. He loved the Sonneteer Alabaster and said he'd have another at the drop of a hat. Good enough for me.

Spoke to Sonneteer who recommended the Alabaster rather than the Orton with the P3's "as it had more life that the P3's need".

Doug Brady sent me a demo one. Hey, come on, this can't be £1500. Really close to the uber expensive Lavardin and possibly a little more expressive. A better power cable and together with a REL sub my baby Harbeths sound like big brother HL5's.

Fantastic amp and for the money one of hifi's steals.

I think there's a certain harmony between the Alabaster and the P3s, it's very difficult to fault. I was really taken with mine and its up there with my favourite bits of kit.Glad you're enjoying it Al. Interesting to hear how it doesn't disgrace itself against the fancy Lavardin. Enjoy old chum :)