Bourney

Micromega CD players

Super Wammer

You might be lucky, my Meridian 200 transport, which has the Philips swing arm laser kept having problems reading discs. I sent it off to them and they simply adjusted the intensity of the laser output,  which cured the problem.

• Like 1

The Leader uses a Philips CDM-4/19, they're everywhere these days, though I'd prefer to buy a cheap old cd player for an original salvage than buy a chinese no mark clone that will not be the same quality.  The number of scurrilous ebay sellers with salvaged CDM1-3-4- and Pro mechs claiming them to be NOS is incredible these days. They haven't been made for over a decade where the hell do they expect us to think they've been storing them?

and just in case any of you didn't know..

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Drummerman said:

What is a CD player?

Presumably you’d recommend me selling my CDs and moving to a streamer? 

2 hours ago, Drummerman said:

What is a CD player?

It's a device that enables you to get the best sound from digital

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2018 at 19:15, Neil Jung said:

Yep. 

I’ve taken it into Deco Audio in Aylesbury for them to have a look at it. If it needs a replacement laser then I’m going to be out of luck.

Deco say they have fixed its dirty motor contacts (that caused the skipping) by blasting extra voltage through it so I’m getting it back tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it sounds better or worse than the Rega Apollo I bought from Radiant Red. Do you think it will be better or worse?

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, Neil Jung said:

Deco say they have fixed its dirty motor contacts (that caused the skipping) by blasting extra voltage through it so I’m getting it back tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it sounds better or worse than the Rega Apollo I bought from Radiant Red. Do you think it will be better or worse?

I think the Apollo punches way above it’s price point (mk1) that is. Less mechanical parts to go wrong too. 

The Micromega is a good player but if it’s working fine when it comes back and perhaps take the opportunity to sell it because parts are getting very rare.

Hopefully when you get your amps back from JC you will hear an improvement too 👍🏻

Oh, don’t forget the uprights for the rack, see if you can get some longer lengths to exchange with. Often dealers have a few knocking around. I swapped mine at Audio T Reading some years back.

44 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I think the Apollo punches way above it’s price point (mk1) that is. Less mechanical parts to go wrong too. 

The Micromega is a good player but if it’s working fine when it comes back and perhaps take the opportunity to sell it because parts are getting very rare.

Hopefully when you get your amps back from JC you will hear an improvement too 👍🏻

Oh, don’t forget the uprights for the rack, see if you can get some longer lengths to exchange with. Often dealers have a few knocking around. I swapped mine at Audio T Reading some years back.

If the MicroMega sounds better I might keep both until the MicroMega passes away. But I suspect the Rega is better, unless the performance of the MicroMega was compromised by the dirt in the motor. You’d be very welcome to come round and help me decide which sounds better!

Turns out the buzzing in the right channel is caused by the Kairn preamp so I’m waiting for JC to have the bandwidth to look at it. I wasted his time getting him to look at the Klouts; he was very nice about it.

I haven’t resolved the short uprights issue for the Quadrasoure rack yet either! I was going to rebuild it with the shelves the right way up, but life got in the way.

Hello, new to this forum but if it's any help, I repaired my own stage 2 Micromega CD player. Simply replaced the whole laser mechanism. Purchased in Hong Kong and yes wasn't original Phillips but was pretty straight forward and I'm a true novice. Cost about  £25 from memory and just a little fiddly but job done and still working fine. Very analogue sound and I haven't noticed any difference in sound from original. Happy to give advice.

Mikee

9 hours ago, Mikee said:

Hello, new to this forum but if it's any help, I repaired my own stage 2 Micromega CD player. Simply replaced the whole laser mechanism. Purchased in Hong Kong and yes wasn't original Phillips but was pretty straight forward and I'm a true novice. Cost about  £25 from memory and just a little fiddly but job done and still working fine. Very analogue sound and I haven't noticed any difference in sound from original. Happy to give advice.

Mikee

Thanks but I’ve now had it repaired but as my preamp has a noisy channel haven’t actually listened to it to compare it to my “new” Rega Apollo since the repair.

Result, be interested to know how the Rega compares to the Stage 2. I remember listening to a Copland CD player and an Audio Analogue Maestro player costing over twice the price of the Stage 2 and honestly felt that I preferred the sound of the Micromega. Hence still getting used regularly although a bit 'moody' with some CD's. Doesn't play recorded one's or others that it doesn't like.

I’ve had the faulty Kairn preamp repaired by the excellent John Caswell and the upgraded Micromega Leader 2 repaired by Deco Audio in Aylesbury. We (my learned friend Simon and I) spent 3 hours ensuring the speakers were in the best position and properly adjusted to firmly grip the carpet without any movement. The system was sounding pretty good.

We were going to tweak the Aktiv card in the treble Klout to provide more treble, but didn’t have the right screwdriver to get it open! So that didn’t happen.

But we did replace the Rega Apollo with the MicroMega to see which sounds best. The impact was immediately obvious and the mended MicroMega was streets ahead in musicality. So I will keep both and will run the MicroMega until it breaks.

Edited by Neil Jung

Owned a micro mega aria bought brand new and still think it’s the best I’ve ever had or heard stunningly detailed and beautifully made. 

32A8CC85-86E9-4CC8-BDF3-52C5910459CD.jpeg

Edited by falcoron

Hi. 

Old topic but I will give it a go. 

I just got my hands on a Micromega Duo CD 2 transporter. 

I love the design but there is one big issue with it... 

It seam to read the discs I put in (finds the right amount of tracks and change tracks correctly) and you can see the counter tick the seconds away. But!! There is NO sound from it.. I have tried both the toslink and digitalcoax out. But not a sound from it.. 

Am I missing out on something or is it just the fact that it need a good deal of service to be able to run again?? 

I use the Rega dac, and it locks on the signal both from toslink and coax... But NO sound at all. 

Anyone with any ideas what it could be? 

Br Tommy 

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it's faulty. The good news I suppose is that if it's reading the disc properly, that tends to suggest the transport mechanism and logic circuitry is functioning correctly. However, the odd thing is that the DAC is locking to it, so it's obviously outputting something. It seems unlikely, but I don't suppose there's some sort of mute somewhere that's inadvertently been switched on? Also, I'm obviously assuming that an input from a different digital source to the Rega produces music, and that something hasn't been switched over or off in the DAC.