khfm865

Krell Owners Club

Before I duck for cover, I think many classic old Krell power amps are rather above an ARC preamp, many of which tend to over-rose the tinting to me, despite being very clear and grain free - just my vibe obviously and some post original Krell amp models may sound too assertive and hard toned without the sonic sweetening of many valved 1990's ARC's... The original Krell KSA50's and 100's I remember, were not exactly 'sweet,' but they totally lacked grain and that solid state slight 'whiter than white' quality many cheaper amps exhibit. Bass power and projection have NEVER ever been in doubt :D I remember the krell PAM7 and KRC2 being pretty good, but I've never heard tham in isolation (the Krell power amp was 10m of interconnect away with short speaker cables)

For starters, into this brand,  don't forget the 'baby' integrateds they did. The 300i might be a bit 'lively' in the wrong system, but I loved the 400 model, which comes up from time to time. I also heard a post D'Agostino Vanguard integrated not long ago and it shook the balls of a pair of Harbeth 5+'s like no other - hehe ;)

Edited by DSJR
Speeling mistikes...

4 hours ago, DSJR said:

Before I duck for cover, I think many classic old Krell power amps are rather above an ARC preamp, many of which tend to over-rose the tinting to me, despite being very clear and grain free - just my vibe obviously and some post original Krell amp models may sound too assertive and hard toned without the sonic sweetening of many valved 1990's ARC's... The original Krell KSA50's and 100's I remember, were not exactly 'sweet,' but they totally lacked grain and that solid state slight 'whiter than white' quality many cheaper amps exhibit. Bass power and projection have NEVER ever been in doubt :D I remember the krell PAM7 and KRC2 being pretty good, but I've never heard tham in isolation (the Krell power amp was 10m of interconnect away with short speaker cables)

For starters, into this brand,  don't forget the 'baby' integrateds they did. The 300i might be a bit 'lively' in the wrong system, but I loved the 400 model, which comes up from time to time. I also heard a post D'Agostino Vanguard integrated not long ago and it shook the balls of a pair of Harbeth 5+'s like no other - hehe ;)

Thanks for the above DSJR...just to better explain my situation. Iam a sailor and presently on a boat. The krell I bought second hand has arrived and been delivered at home. I haven't and can't hear it for now till I go home. Owing to  heavy taxation on speakers considered a luxury item in my country, I tend to make my purchases abroad, and carry them back with me. If you can better explain how the krell KSA 100 or the KSA 100 mkii sound, it will be very helpful. I bought it thinking all pure class A Amps are musical and pure sounding. But your description of the krell so far, makes it sound like a sub woofer amp :)

And thanks for your time. 

5 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Yes, the early reviews of Venere implied a more exciting, less comfortable sound than the classic Sf, though more for the floorstanders perhaps.  Imagine my surprise when I auditioned the Venere 2.5 last year to hear how similar to my 20 year old Concertos they were!  (They were well used demo models so maybe they are a bit lively when brand new?) 

The bigger caveat for me is that the Venere finish is nice rather than wow, as all but the top Venere S model are Chinese assembled to a price.  All the rest are still Italian jobs!  That’s why I’d check out the Concertino, if you want a tiddler. 

Thanks again for the advise nopiano...by a twist of fate or luck, I will be visiting the  uk soon. The SF venere 2.0 seem to be going for 1500 pounds. Any other speakers in this range that can have that magical mid range please. The harbeths are at least at 3000 pounds. 

On a completely different note, I was wondering if I should utilise this opportunity to buy a Michelle gyrodec SE, that I have always been lusting after. Choices...choices... :)

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 00:31, John Hirsch said:

I have a KRC 3 and a Krell KSA 300S. Woult it be worthwhile to go up to a FPB 600?

Best,

John Hirsch

Welcome, John!  It is by all accounts an amazing power amp, though unless you have a very large room and demanding speakers, it might be quite unnecessary. 

Have you seen this very detailed review? Note the question about preamp quality towards the end. 

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/829/index.html

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Nopiano said:

Welcome, John!  It is by all accounts an amazing power amp, though unless you have a very large room and demanding speakers, it might be quite unnecessary. 

Have you seen this very detailed review? Note the question about preamp quality towards the end. 

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/829/index.html

I think Anthony Michaelsson of Musical Fidelity would disagree with you. He advocates massive reserves of power if loud transients are to be reproduced faithfully.

4 minutes ago, Gizza said:

I think Anthony Michaelsson of Musical Fidelity would disagree with you. He advocates massive reserves of power if loud transients are to be reproduced faithfully.

Yes, I’m sure he would!  I think some of his designs and those from Krell compete for the arc welding award, by delivering more current/amps than anyone else.  As an aside, I wonder if he is still involved now he has sold the business.  

I would suggest that very few home listeners want to reproduce loud transients.  If forum contributors are anything to go by, many want better sound at low volumes, and a less forward or aggressive sound.   

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Yes, I’m sure he would!  I think some of his designs and those from Krell compete for the arc welding award, by delivering more current/amps than anyone else.  As an aside, I wonder if he is still involved now he has sold the business.  

I would suggest that very few home listeners want to reproduce loud transients.  If forum contributors are anything to go by, many want better sound at low volumes, and a less forward or aggressive sound.   

I guess it depends on whether circumstances allow you to turn the volume up to realistic concert levels. I like to hear voices and instruments at the volume that they would be if they were in my room, unamplified. I'm amazed at just how loud and dynamic drums are, unamplified, when heard live.

Also, powerful amps will normally sound less forward and aggressive than underpowered amp as they won't be going into 'clipping' and producing distortion.

Edited by Gizza

5 minutes ago, Gizza said:

I guess it depends on whether circumstances allow you to turn the volume up to realistic concert levels. I like to hear voices and instruments at the volume that they would be if they were in my room, unamplified. I'm amazed at just how loud and dynamic drums are, unamplified, when heard live.

I agree, and I wish more folk would try to hear instruments and singers in ‘real life’ more often.  Trying to judge a system by electronic music with no natural equivalent is perilous ime.  

• Upvote 1

I love loud transients. The KSA 300S is magnificent in this regard,  but maybe the FPB 600 would be better. I just spent $1300 for Krell to re-cap and repair the 300S at their Connecticut facility. They replaced 58 capacitors and 4 relays and it still had the original problem. They had a hard time finding the actual problem. The service manager said that he pulled the tech off the job for a while because the amp was "driving him nuts". I am not a tech but I have run a repair facility at the shop that I owned from 1984 to 2005 - Scientific Stereo in Brattleboro, Vermont - and approve of this strategy. 

I picked it up and they only charged for the re-cap and relay replacement, so I don't know what actually fixed it. 

One could argue that they should have repaired the amp and then asked if I wanted to re-cap. But my personal philosophy is that, "A girl is going to do what a girl wants to do." This has led to a great marriage that has lasted 22 years after three divorces. So I accept that Krell is going to do what they want to do. 

However, I would be very reluctant to buy a 21 year old FPB 600 if it hasn't been re-capped. There is one for sale in New Jersey that was re-capped in 2012. He wants $4700 for it which I think is too high. 

Does anyone have a FPB 600 that needs a new home?

Best,

John Hirsch

• Upvote 1

Hi John, good to see you here. You know my attitude. The FPB600 was one of Krell's greats. Effortless wonderful sound & better at the delicate nuances of live music than it's half power little brother. Who ever said that high power amps can't do delicate? The FPB600 can. It can also do real loud effortlessly without getting you sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for it to lose control.

Have connected up my new FPB 600 and I'll report on it later. Looks like it was repaired in 2012 but only 6 caps replaced. 

For the UK folks - the Solo 375 and 575 monoblocks have been discontinued in favor of the Solo 375 XD and Solo 575 XD.

Wouldn't like to be the person who pays full price for a discontinued model. Some one is selling a pair of the "old" 575s on US Ebay for $9600. He has three monoblocks total.  

Best,

John Hirsch

Now I'm thinking of going from the FPB 600 to a used pair of 575 Solos and then sending it back to Krell for their $2000 upgrade to Solo 575 XD. It all hangs on whether a stranger from North Carolina buys my FPB 600 this Saturday. Getting an change of speakers from the outstanding original KEF Reference 4s depends on the whims of a Tennessee doctor who owns about 10 pairs of the original Kef Reference series. 

So much for free will.....

Happy New Year To All,

John Hirsch