TurnItUp

Moon by Simaudio Young Team

Noticed that there was no owners club for Moon. So being new here and looking to increase my post count I thought I'd start one.

I have a beautiful Moon i-5 integrated amp. I always loved the styling of this amp. I feel like its almost got a bit of a future-retro look about it. Oh and it sounds tremendous!

I know some of you will have a very serious collection of some Moon kit. So lets hear your thoughts and see some pictures!

Cheers

Graeme :D

NZPqVkKl.jpg?1

The reaction to this thread unfortunately says a lot about Moon kit: lovely stuff, hopelessly unfashionable on the Wigwam.

If it was made by magic Japanese elves, contained valves left over from WW2, or threatened to catch fire if you so much as looked at it a bit funny, then folks would be all over it. But it just works very well, which is less of a value proposition to the "hobbyist".

Granted, it can come across as a wee bit pricey, but the new-ish Neo range really does have a lot going for it at more attainable prices.

moonneo250ib.jpg

Just my opinion, as ever.

I'm surprised to hear that Moon stuff is "hopelessly unfashionable"! I'm new hear and even though I consider my self to be an enthusiast I very rarely read any Hi-Fi related literature, Magazines or forums etc. So I don't really know what popular opinion is. But then again I guess it is indeed only 'opinion'.

For some reason long before I'd even owned any Moon kit I always seen it as highly regarded. I've also perceived it as popular at least in and around central Scotland but thats probably because there are a few well established dealers in Glasgow and Edinburgh who push the brand.

I definitely have noticed on this forum and others that to the 'hobbyist' any kit that didn't have Japanese elves involved in its production is sneered at! I'd imagine theres also plenty here who'd boke when they heard 95% of my music listening is flac from a Mac mini...

I'd agree on Moon kit being a bit pricey but I'm a big proponent of the second hand Hi-Fi market. If I'm not mistaken Gyroscope your very own 600i was going here for a very good price recently.

Ah well, its a wee bit of a shame that opinion of Moon kit here isn't as high as I'd expected. Maybe those 30k valve systems really do sound better than my integrated amp? :whistle:

FWIW, the Moon MiND 180 is a stunner at the price. I am probably going to end up with one, but want to try the Auralic Aries before I shell out the £££s.

• Like 1

I have a Moon 310LP phono stage bought from a fellow wammer and find it very impressive. It is whisper quiet with great bass, lots of top end air and is very detailed without sounding dry or analytical. In conjunction with a Audio Note IQ2 into a valve pre-amp it is unfailingly musical and "right sounding". It also works very well with an Audio Note OC-9 cart.

It is also highly adjustable which is a boon if you have several carts.

Build quality is excellent and a nice design with one compartment for the onboard toroid fed by an IEC and another compartment for the boards.

Good solid design and a very nice product.

Just saw this thread!

I have to say that the i-5 is a magnificent amp! Beautifully built with a sense of musicality unmatched among its peers. :^

I just sold mine so I'm feeling a little sad about letting it go. :(

Still, maybe one day I will return to Simaudio. Their kit is fantastic but awfully expensive on these shores - bargains are few and far between.

I too have just noticed this thanks to Jezzer, I have an i5 amp and a Nova cd player to match it,a couple of folk I know also have Moon(one has an expensive recent system) but they don't do forums it seems, SWMBO also approved of the purchase on sound and looks.

Before I stepping into Esoteric madness, I used a Sim Audio Moon RS5.3 CD player and what a fantastic player it is too. The transport was the best part of it, I used it for years with a Audio Synthesis DAX Decade. Really well made and have a display you can actually read from the other side of the room. Great remote as well.

Will definitely buy some again sometime.

Well, my Moon MiND 180 arrived and is doing a very fine job. I find the app a bit of a faff, but that might be down to iOS8 on my iPad Mini being total poo. I am getting pretty good results with my wife's older iPad running a much early operating system. Musically, the MiND is a stunner, and being tiny is a very handy addition to the kit list as it takes up almost no shelf space. At under a grand new it is a bit of a bargain. I'm pretty pleased with the renderer only aspect of the device, giving me the option to use different DACs if I choose to.

I've used Moon amps for some 9-10 years now. Started with an i3 and then upgraded to the i5 which was lovely.

Currently using a P8/W8 pre/power combo and absolutely love it - although currently being forced to sell these due to job problem [i.e. lack of one!] .... I am amazed that more people have not discovered the brand. I've compared it to many many other brands and even when it came time to upgrade to what I now have, I listened to many other amps just in case I found something I preferred .... well, I didn't find anything else.

I love the musicality and emotion they allow through, combined with power/control and impact + wide open soundstage. Build quality is superb too.

Nig

Wish I'd been quick enough to take Jezzer's i-5 when it was going!

Assuming it arrives safely then if I ever decide to move mine on (and if past form is anything to go by you won't have too long to wait:doh:) I'll give you a heads up first.:^