nomismo

Kef Reference Owners Club

Super Wammer

Great tweeters. Got some in my old Kef Concords. Nothing doing at Wilmslow?

Have enjoyed 107.2's for a couple of decades now. Never had the inclination to upgrade for the sound is so warm and you cannot tire of listening to them. When pushed, the bass is pretty decent. have upgraded to new tweeters (via Wilmslow), I find them a tad bright.

Old thread needs a revive, mainly because I love KEF Reference kit and like the man says near the start of this thread, feed them with Chord to really bring them to life :)

I have 205/1 Floorstanding fronts driven by a Chord SPA 1032 and, well, frankly I suddenly understood what audiophiles talk about :)

Hello everyone!

@Maatt Daniels: I bought the 205/1 quite 2 years ago from Germany in mint condition and I think they are beautiful! :love:

I just bought a 204c, it has some scratch, but the functionality is perfect :)

What run me mad is that the front cover has the pins broken. The speaker is beautiful "open", but I want to cover it during the non-use time.

There is a place where I could buy a new one?

Sorry for not coming back and answering that for you, for whatever reason I didn't follow the thread until I had a reason to come back to it today.

My 204C is a bit battered as well but it had a new UniQ driver fitted by me and my small team of experts when I bought it so it sounds brand new, (mainly because most of it is haha)

Can you get a new cover for your 204? No. Or at least not very likely anyway)

How do I know this? We bought what are believed to be the the last two, a friend and myself (We both bought exactly the same kit at the same time, we basically went halves on the contents of one of McLaren F1s old storage cupboards) from KEF directly and they were the last two on the shelves.

There *may* be one more but while the stock computer says there is KEF can't find it. It might have turned up in the 2 years or so since then but you will have to ask them.

What I have discovered since, and this might be the life saving thing for you, is that with patience, a cordless multi tool and a selection of esoteric grinding and drilling bits you can remove the snapped off lugs and refit new ones (which KEF will sell / give you for a few pence) despite the glue used to stick them in place....but BE PATIENT! You may well be working on the only genuine 204C cover you will ever lay hands on lol.

From memory, they were about £35 for the covers, KEF themselves however, pointed out that making one from the template and recovering it or having it recovered with brand new lugs might be comparable in price.

Let me know how you get on.... support numbers are HERE

I learned something today that I really, really wish I'd known 2 years ago. So much so that I've spent the afternoon kicking myself.

You see, the R200 series has a weak point, a design flaw if you will that ALL owners of them are massively aware of whenever they take the covers off and there are other people around and a child in the room will make some of them physically twitch.

Its that beautiful shiny round dome in the middle of the speaker, it's musically stunning, physically gorgeous and irresistibly magnetic to fingers of all ages that don't know better. Fragile doesn't come into it, its made of high tension tinfoil when faced with finger pressure.

I've had the opportunity to mess about with a couple of (already busted) ones so I can assure you, its not a strong bit of metal.

KEF recognised this of course and the 200/2 series had a guard over it, brilliant no?

What is NOT common knowledge, and here's the important bit for us 200/1 owners is that KEF recognised this issue a bit earlier than the release of the 200/2 series and started producing 200/1 UniQ units WITH THAT GUARD FITTED around 2004 - 5

Sonically identical to the series one driver (SP1447 or R1447 under the new nomenclature) these 200/1.5 (R1515) are matched to the 200/1 X-Over series but crucially have the armoured tweeter of the 200/2 and are exactly the same price (£217.38) as the earlier driver.

Apparently a few these made it onto the American version of the 200/1 but never any UK ones which is why nobody I know has ever come across this before... And likely why it never comes up when discussing repairs and spares for UK variant 200/1s

They do exist though, on the shelves in the spares dept, 2 of them are coming to me for the ones I bought from Jamie earlier this year.

What's particularly annoying is that if I had seen what was under my nose instead of making assumptions 2 years ago, all my speakers would be running this driver as they all had replacements. My mate that got his kit with me got one of these drivers and when I saw it I assumed he'd upgraded to a 200/2 driver. If I'd talked in more detail then I'd have figured my mistake. He got sent it by mistake as it happened, a mistake that uncovered a very handy bit of info.....eventually.

So, next time you see some 200/1 needing repair, instead of moving on, knowing how fragile they are..... think again, as 1.5 models (I like that name lol) they are A) almost unique B) Armoured and C) probably worth a bit more with a design flaw removed...

Cheers.

Super Wammer

Good Wamming Matt. I'm glad you are getting them sorted.

Shiny finger magnets indeed :whistle:

For some reason my nipper now has an aversion to going anywhere near the hifi. Might have something to do with being told the beryllium tweeters are toxic....

Hahaha, nice idea lol

I'm currently thinking to put the 2 new drivers in my floor standers, thus owning (possibly) the UKs only pair of 205/1.5 hehe.

Pop their current Mk1 drivers in the little ones and bob's me aunties live in lover :)

I've had some 104.2.s for a while now; what a great all rounder and utterly ridiculous vfm.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Proud owner of a pair of KEF Reference 104aBs. They're unfortunately sitting on a desk at the moment but I hope to give them what they deserve once I get a proper room :)

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Matt Daniels said:

Finally, 2 years almost waiting but today.... ordered 2 new drive units for my R201 babies.... Pics when they been fitted.....

Excited? Much? hell yeah!!

What took you so long Matt? They were my babies, now you've got stroppy teenagers :D

Super Wammer

I have a pair of Ref 104's from 1976 still sounding great, and are on loan to a friend as a replacement for his Quad 2905's, while they are away being repaired. He loves them, high praise indeed.