nomismo

Kef Reference Owners Club

Over the years i'd listened to various Kef speakers the most memorable(other than what i have now) were a demo of a pair of 105's, i fell i love but s.h.m.b.o put an end to that love affair,to big to ugly shame on her.

Years later on my quest for new speakers to try and better my then flavour of the day Mission 782's, i had booked a demo of a pair of ATC sm 40's

a much raved about speaker, how ever they were not for me, being somewhat down in the mouth i asked if any thing else they had might put things right, in they wheeled the Kef ref 203mk2's and the rest is as they say is history.

Every time i sit down to listen they just draw me into the music,they get better by the day.

Obviously they cost me an awful lot more than the Atc's would have but for me money well spent.

Good speakers, but really come to life when they have the correct amplification behind them. In our shop, I find Chord electronics on of the best matches for the Reference product.

A few weeks ago I was at the KEF factory listening to the new series of Reference which is due to land anytime now. Great product again & largely improved.

I have a set of updated and refreshed (much upgraded) Reference105/3's. I know we all try to justify our purchases emotionally, but I struggled with these speakers like a bastard when I first got them.

Really, thought they were just "ok"...but no more. In fact, I hated them. "You tart Steve...what have you done..."

But, (here it comes) I was wronger than a very wrong thing.

Summary

No bass... Err, yes actually, but I was listening to cabinets adding bloat to the sound with my old expensive speakers.

Smooth and unexciting... Err... No, this was a lack of showroom impressive treble.

Flat. That'll be the material / source.

I've now listened to hundreds of LP's and thousands of CD's and in every single way, they outperform me. They can simply transport you with the imaging, and the bass, whilst not to the sub 35hz level, is astonishingly accurate.

I now "get" the sound and realise that my speakers are a window to my system, my source and the enjoyment. I would not swap them except for Reference 4.2s or Blades.

Love.... At 3rd sight.

I've had 104/2's which were great with both Arcam and NAD Silverline amplification. The 105/3's to my ears sounded brighter than the 104s which I actually preferred.

After that I had 205's (Mk1) which were also very good indeed. They were used with NAD Silverline and also Perreaux amps. Both worked very well IMO. I think a very brightly lit amp would have been too much for the Ref Mk 1 tweeters. The NAD and Perreaux both have silky yet detailed top ends which balanced things out very nicely.

You can pick up the Mk1 203 and 205 Refs for great prices used.

I have two pairs of Kef Reference; the 103 and 103/2. Both models are a bookshelf two way design.

Like others, I thought the 103's were dull until I decided to listen to them for an extended period as my office speaker. It was only then that I realised that they are an excellent speaker but their flat response does not have the wow factor on first listening. Listen for extended periods though and they reveal themselves as extremely capable.

Super Wammer

I can not tell a lie after a bake off and listening to a pair of KEF 103 speakers I really wanted a pair. Got lucky found a not too shabby pair for sale on ebay and due them being collect only from Kings Lynn got them at a bargain price . They are now my AV front speakers and they sound excellent being sealed box they are quite happy really close to the wall and this bolsters up the bass no end . I have never really liked other KEF models over the years but these 1970's reference items are going nowhere .

Heard 107s many years ago and was smitten but just started working full time and they were around 9 months (trainee) wage!

Bought some 3.2s a few years ago (got a great deal on a new pair - actually less than some were asking in the classifieds for used pairs) - really enjoyed them but moved to a bigger house and a pair of 4.2's came up for under a grand - rude not too!

That was six years ago and I haven't fancied changing just yet. (Although some nice 109's could tempt me away - not at the £7000 asking price though...)

Went round to a work colleague's house last night to chek out his system and advise on some issues it has. He has KEF Reference 4s and i had no idea how big they were - I approve!

My other half calls them the coffins - they're a bit conspicuous in black.

Did you get the issues sorted?

On the .2 versions (and possibly the originals too) you can unscrew the terminals, reverse and refit for 'boundary compensation' - something like a 2db cut from the bass drivers is achievable.

Mrs burger also finds our 105/3's somewhat repulsive (as do I) but does like the sound from them

Here is some useless non- tech info, I call them psychos (please see American psycho opening sequence where they are in his apartment)

Sad as it may be as soon as I read 105/3 I thought of that film lol.

I think I am sadder, with a part sad family, even got the kids, all over 25, to watch and they all spotted the speakers

Finally replaced the treble units on my 104/2s. The treble unit sin these speaker suffer from the ferro fluid "drying" up due to them being vented, so to speak. I managed to find a pair in good working order although there is a fella in the States who will replace the fluid for a fee, he advertises on e bay. Will be sending my old pair of for a refurb soon.

Super Wammer
Finally replaced the treble units on my 104/2s. The treble unit sin these speaker suffer from the ferro fluid "drying" up due to them being vented, so to speak. I managed to find a pair in good working order although there is a fella in the States who will replace the fluid for a fee, he advertises on e bay. Will be sending my old pair of for a refurb soon.

T33's?