Sign in to follow this  
Bourney

Living voice

1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

No. ;-)

The Avatars are actually the only LV I've never owned, although tripping over them accidentally (sat in on a client's demo) was my first experience with LV.

The OBX models are musically superior but more demanding of better amplification to fully convey that.

If I were you, I think I'd probably want to get a chance to listen to the R25A – the 25th anniversary version of the Auditorium. Admittedly I've not heard these myself, but recent communication with Kevin/Lynn suggest Mr Scott is particularly pleased with the way they've turned out. I suspect they might well prove to be superior not only to the basic Auditorium, the R3R (now discontinued), but also the current incarnation of the Avatar.

FWIW, I'd probably say the current sweet spot is the IBX version of the RW3. More recent production LVs are a considerable step forward from the older generation on every level. I had a pair of OBX-RWs from 2007, Castle cabinets, but more recent production has moved things on considerably. A mate had a newer pair of OBX-RWs, circa 2010 (Hornslet cabinets) but has recently swapped them for a pair of the latest models, observing the overall improvement is considerable, not least in the standard of build quality and finish.

That’s interesting, thanks. I fear that more recent and new models are going to be out of my price range. The non RW models of the IBX and OBX are more common and a 10 year old pair could be in budget, do you have any experience of these?

17 hours ago, lostwin said:

That’s interesting, thanks. I fear that more recent and new models are going to be out of my price range. The non RW models of the IBX and OBX are more common and a 10 year old pair could be in budget, do you have any experience of these?

Nope, sorry, I went from OBX-R2s (bought in 2014) to OBX-RWs in 2017. I don't recall ever hearing an inboard version of the OBX at the time.