Sign in to follow this  
Bourney

Living voice

Go for em rob, no doubt another plain brown package being delivered

will not go unnoticed.

Super Wammer
Go for em rob, no doubt another plain brown package being delivered

will not go unnoticed.

Rob I'd make sure it comes in a bright red box that says "expensive hifi cable" on the front ! :)

All brown packages unwrapped and wires installed.

Single wired and cross-over to speakers now with Kondo KSL-SPC. Terminal jumpers are 1m lengths of Kimber Kable 8TC which isn't ideal.

All subjective and audio memory is awful but...they do sound better than my previous 4TC/8TC bi-wire and cross-over to speaker set up. Maybe a little more "real" and detailed. I think the system now has the effect of making you listen more than previously.

Super Wammer
No LV owners thread!!??? How rude!

show us your 'emperors new clothes'

ive had a few in my time.....

started with mk1 Auditoriums in cherry.Arrived in a state but help came in the form of Ashley from AVi who supplied drivers FOC. Nice fella. I liked them but never really got them right. A bit fizzy and loose in the bass and I could 'sense' the cabinet.

i bought some exdem Santos rosewood Avatar IIs from tomtom Audio. I loved these but at the time I was saving to get married so they were a temporary thing. Compared the Mk1 Auditorium they were less boxy, more controlled, refined and solid in the bass. A very notable step up IMO.

Lots of Audionotes etc followed! Then Harbeths etc :)

i dropped on some Maple Avatar IIs cheap and snapped them up. Sounded great but stood out visually ...so...

next... I bought some brand new Avatar IIs from Kevin that were seconds, the cabinets were Santos Rosewood again, my favourite. The experience of buying from Kevin was brilliant, the visit to Definitive quite inspiring.

Sold them to pay for some jobs on the house and regretted it.

Next.... OBXR2s. These were a strip again especially in presence and detail and somehow sounding bigger and more cut loose. Hate the crossovers and hate cherry finish but know I'll regret selling them. Doesn't stop me though :D the sale pays for plastering and decorating.

then recently I dropped on some earlier OBXS in Yew. A bit tatty but still look great. I've tried to hide the crossovers but I'll just have to accept them as i

live the sound. I may have to buy new bases as the look scruffy and they have few knocks but with the trafomatic driving them they are the best sound I've had.

Setting up up takes time but rewards with very notable improvements. Get them wrong and they are flabby, boxy do not image at all. Get them right and they are so 'right'.

null_zps99645859.jpg

Note the the nutty positioning. Wide and heavy toe in, they disappear and the the image comes together and the balance just slots into place. I know they are a bit marmite but for the price you can pick them up for, they are superb and I've not had better.

Show us your boxes!!!

Steve,

Didn't know this site existed till today.

You say "show us your boxes " , well mate I include a pic of my newly acquired LV OBXR's which by some massive coincidence look exactly the same as the ones shown in your OP photo. Cant get over the similarity, same model, same Yew finish they look identical !

I bought mine last week from a smashing bloke who does a lot of buying and selling on here, lives near Stoke I believe and he let me have them for a bargain price. I have a lot to thank him for as I am currently enjoying the best sounds I have ever had from my system thanks to the LV's and I wont part with them - ever. Thought you would be interested. ;-).

Jon.

edit. Bugger - the site wont let me upload the photo.

So, what is the difference in crossovers between the OBX and OBX R2's? Is there more foo? Different crossover points and slopes?

Afaik the original OBX cabinet makers went bust (Castle I think) and Kevin had to start looking for a new source of materials as well as manufacture. So the cabinets are different. At some point the main drivers stopped being made as well and he had to reverse engineer them and get them made to his spec. So new cabs and new drivers, but a huge effort was made to keep the same or similar sound, but there was a lot of experience gained along the way and new crossovers were designed.

Kevin has always been happy to upgrade crossovers if people want them but I have no idea of the slopes and points

So there is a difference between the OBX and the OBXR2, or there isn't if you still think you have your grandfathers axe, after the blade and then the shaft were replaced.

Afaik the original OBX cabinet makers went bust (Castle I think) and Kevin had to start looking for a new source of materials as well as manufacture. So the cabinets are different. At some point the main drivers stopped being made as well and he had to reverse engineer them and get them made to his spec. So new cabs and new drivers, but a huge effort was made to keep the same or similar sound, but there was a lot of experience gained along the way and new crossovers were designed.

Kevin has always been happy to upgrade crossovers if people want them but I have no idea of the slopes and points

So there is a difference between the OBX and the OBXR2, or there isn't if you still think you have your grandfathers axe, after the blade and then the shaft were replaced.

Trigger's broom :?