Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

j.haindorfer

looking for mark richards

hi folks

I am josef from austria and I am searching for an amplifier builder, probably a private person, named mark richards, I own a pair of 2A3 push pull/PSE monoblocks, each monoblock bears 4 2A3 in pushpull mode, and leaving the outside tubes, 2 2A3 in PSE mode, on top is written "Klystron-handbuilt by mark richards", so i would be very interested to know this man, cause the amps are very fine built and sound superior.

Maybe someone knows this man

best audiophile wishes to england from austria

josef

Hi Josef

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your query, but there's a good chance someone else here will.

All the best

Martin

PS - the amps sound interesting. Can you attach a photo to your post?

I think you might get some mileage by seeing if it is Dr. Mark Richards who is a radar expert for military applications. That would tie him to the word Klystron, and give him a very profound knowledge of the application of valves which are still extensively used in ruggedised military applications.

Mark Richards is/was a HiFi engineer based in Weston-super-mare in the UK.

He learned his trade with the vintage valve company who he worked for for a number of years.

He did projects for private individuals to order.  He nodded a pair of leak tl12+s for me to dual mono stereo 20 spec and mighty fine they sounded.

At one point he set up a company called thermisonics with the intention of building high quality but affordable valve amps.  Unfortunately they never got a product to market.  I'm fortunate to have on of the batch of a dozen prototypes they built.  It has a high quality power supply and uses the classic ecc83/el84 combination.  Into efficient speakers it sounds very modern and controlled at the frequency extremes with a classic liquid valve mid band.

I'm never selling mine but if anyone on the forum gets offered a thermisonics valve amp, my advice would be buy it before the owner comes to their senses and changes their mind!

57 minutes ago, Bags said:

Mark Richards is/was a HiFi engineer based in Weston-super-mare in the UK.

He learned his trade with the vintage valve company who he worked for for a number of years.

He did projects for private individuals to order.  He nodded a pair of leak tl12+s for me to dual mono stereo 20 spec and mighty fine they sounded.

At one point he set up a company called thermisonics with the intention of building high quality but affordable valve amps.  Unfortunately they never got a product to market.  I'm fortunate to have on of the batch of a dozen prototypes they built.  It has a high quality power supply and uses the classic ecc83/el84 combination.  Into efficient speakers it sounds very modern and controlled at the frequency extremes with a classic liquid valve mid band.

I'm never selling mine but if anyone on the forum gets offered a thermisonics valve amp, my advice would be buy it before the owner comes to their senses and changes their mind!

Are you Mark?

• Haha 1

I think you might get some mileage by seeing if it is Dr. Mark Richards who is a radar expert for military applications. That would tie him to the word Klystron, and give him a very profound knowledge of the application of valves which are still extensively used in ruggedised military applications.
Thanks Ade, I was wondering why the amp was called Klystron when there's no conceivable use for one inside it

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

The name seems familiar to me, but I'm not sure why. However, as I'm a former radar tech, that trained near W-S-M, it's likely to be nothing to do with hi-fi.