killie99

Thorens Thorens Thorens

It's a Grace G-707, designed to be an ideal partner for a V15iii. 

I'm quite impressed with it 's performance, it certainly has some really nice characteristics - depth and separation are really really good. I'm still fiddling with the setup to try and get the best out of it. I'll keep it in for a few weeks before going back to the Jelco but first impressions are good. The bearings are very smooth for it's age, no sticky points at all. It was in a bit of a sorry state when I got it but it's cleaned up very well and looks pretty respectable now.  

Super Wammer

It looks fab Stuart... I must admit that my TD125 hasn't seen very much use at all recently but I'm tempted to have a tinker with another arm. Having said that though, I really must get it checked over first and that's next on the cards :) 

Edited by orbscure

On 5/6/2016 at 15:16, Nagraboy said:

Looks very good.

It looks like you're using the 124 without the upper platter. Does this mean you can't use the clutch to stop the record whilst still keeping the motor running? If so, I've read that that causes increased wear to the motor as it has to start up every time a new record is played.

Correct - I dont use the clutch. I always leave the platter spinning when changing records; Ive done this on all the decks Ive ever owned.

Jack NSM

Having trouble with a noisy belt on my TD124. Sent off for a new one and its about 1" greater in circumference than the resident one (which, however, is quite tight). Googled the topic and found a can of worms re replacewment belts - their quality and varied dimensions.

Any experience of problems in this area anyone? (or recommended suppliers?)

Tony L on PFM has tried a load of different belts I seem to remember, may be worth asking him.

I've just come across this Thorens thread and felt I simply had to contribute to a thread on a TT I feel very strongly about. It's one of my all-time favourites. Perhaps THE one. The following was recently posted at another site (only slightly altered) and I see it as quite appropriate to bring it here. Hopefully, some of the benefits from my many tests and comparisons (referred to below) will also be of assistance to some who seek help in addressing their own units. This Thorens report is couched in the context of a comparison with my Lenco and former Linn and, hopefully, may also be helpful in that regard.

Lenco vs Linn vs Thorens 125

After my own recent experiences with a Thorens 125 (and Linn, and Lenco, and Techie too) I just had to agree with this; from a post elsewhere, “…the TD-125 can still keep up with contemporary high-end and very expensive turntables.” Especially because of its natural-sounding tonality, I can envisage opting for a 125 (or a Linn with a more bass-neutral “Keel” upgrade, or even a re-armed Techie) over several mega-buck TTs which are not as realistic in tone. I’d previously thought of tone and dynamics as equal in importance (with detail-resolution bringing up the rear) but recent events have led me to see tone as slightly more important than dynamism.

I’d stress, however, that; while the 125 may be good with its own arm or the commonly supplied alternative, I find that it’s much, much better when the arm is upgraded. After years of acknowledging that my Linn was better than my 125/SME-3009II, subsequent experiments with both the Linn’s Ittok and a lowly Sugden SAU2 arm proved to me that the 125 was/is significantly better than my Linn (and more neutral; without the vintage Linn’s midbass hump) in my own personal opinion. YMMV. (Surprisingly, the SAU2 arm from a little Connoisseur BD2 was virtually as good as the Ittok – with MMs ONLY – and I believe its great performance against the Ittok and others is mainly due to the fact that its ideal low mass better matches the MM carts which I use).

Regarding the Lenco L75, I’d lusted after one for quite some time – mainly because of its reportedly awesome dynamism. And I’d fully expected it to blow away all my TTs, based on all the reports I’d read. But, though the Linn was put out of the running by the Thorens (mostly because of its coloured midbass, IMO) the Thorens simply refused to be similarly defeated by the Lenco. It’s true, the Lenco was/is slightly more dynamic, but the Thorens is very nearly as dynamic while it also has a fuller and more natural tone (making voices and instruments more believable) in addition to being significantly more detailed and better at the fades of notes.

Much more on these and similar views can be found in the book; “Guide to the Best HiFi Stereo System – At the Least Cost,” after a quick google-search. But I sometimes wonder if I’m one of only a very few who find the Lenco to be a bit ‘thin’ in its midrange tonality. My experiments have led to improvements with mats (which also brought improvements in low-bass, which I’d thought a bit light) but the major improvement in regard to midrange tonality (and in several other areas) came with the double-stacking of platters (+ the doubled mats). In fact, there’s at least one other Lenco user who suggests that his unit sounds a bit thin unless he double-stacks platters for tonal and other “huge” improvements. Incidentally, he stacks a very expensive VPI “Super-Platter” atop his Lenco, which he calls; “Yoda.” And his comments can be found in a Lenco-Heaven thread entitled. “What is the point of a stacked platter

Curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience regarding the Lenco’s tonality. (I sometimes wonder if my own unit was/is a bit extreme in this regard).

Nevertheless, I very much like both the Thorens and the Lenco, despite the fore-mentioned concerns with the latter, and especially in a scenario where I’m keeping both. Both are great, and I believe stacked platters yield much greater benefits than all the other popular Lenco mods put together. Arguably, stacked platters bring a standard Lenco from Class C to Class B levels of performance. Perhaps the Lenco can be further modded to completely match or surpass the Thorens in tone and detail - and so my outlook may change, later - I'll continue to experiment there.

But, today, if I had to make a choice between the two, it’s quite possible that I’d keep the one which sounds more natural to me, overall.

So, yes, when the preceding is viewed against the backdrop of the many mega-buck TTs previously ousted by semi-standard Lencos in fancy plinths since its rediscovery in the Home-Despot Revolution, I have to agree with what was said here; “…the TD-125 can still keep up with contemporary high-end and very expensive turntables.

Yes, the 125 is good with the arms supplied by the factory - though, not as good as a pre-Keel Linn, in my experience. But, also in my experience (utilizing A-B comparisons with the same arm & carts) it can be much better, and better than the Linn, if the arm is suitably upgraded (to the likes of the better Grace, Mayware, MAS, Mission, Haddock, Ittok, Graham, Jelco, Rega, etc). Mostly due to its already massive cast-alloy 'sub' chassis (which had always made this TT secretly better and more neutral than the original Linn, which prevailed only because of its better arms) such an arm upgrade brings a Thorens 125 to the level of a modern ('Kore' sub-chassis upgraded) $10k Linn Akurate LP-12, in my estimation (which itself is not too far short of the ultimate 'Keeled'/Radikal $20k Linn Klimax, according to my research). 

Also, as seen above, I've found the 125 basically on par with a significantly improved Lenco, which has a history of ousting the likes of TNTs, EMTs, and Ariadnes in other users' systems, not to mention challenging the likes of Walker Prosceniums and SME 30/2s, as we've seen played out in the Home-Despot Revolution and in the ensuing years since then. 

I make these points simply to establish a context within which the actual quality of a suitably re-armed 125 can be more clearly illustrated.

Vive la 125 Thorens!!!

lJziAAMh.jpg

Edited by curry49

Good contribution and a good read. I’ve dallied with many Linns, Lenco’s, Techies and Thorens myself but never a 125.

A bit late, but thanks!  :^  Apologies for the delay. 

For sure, any 125 is very nice.

A 125 with an upgraded arm (Ittok-level or above) rocks - absolutely!!!   :rockin:

Edited by curry49