killie99

Thorens Thorens Thorens

Looking for a Rega arm board for a td 160s and not having much luck (unless I want to spend silly money) anyone got a spare or know where to buy one?

Paul

I've bought from here and they work great.

I've bought from here and they work great.

Hi Stuart, thanks for the link, but that is more than I'd be willing to spend to mount a budget Rega arm to try out the 160s - guess I'll have to fabricate one myself when I get some spare time.

Paul

Right, I now have the stuff I need to start my TD124 renovation. This will be a pretty low key restoration involving removal, cleaning and lubrication of key parts but no after market upgrades. The aim is to try to hear one in its original form. So far I have a service kit, a new set of mushrooms and one of the Moldovan plinths available on eBay. That has been encouraging because it took an age to arrive. I think the shippers need a certain quantity of goods to justify shipping so it vanishes into a tracking 'black hole' for 3 or 4 weeks. However it was well packed and the quality of materals and finish is very good so I am happy with that though I appreciate that had I gone for the US equivalent it would have cost twice as much but arrived in considerably less than half the time. I am at Jacks (BD Audio) bake off in a few days time so that will be my benchmark and I'll see how close I can get to that! :)

thorens002.jpg

My 125. Top drawer and the biggest turntable bargain out there.

What a Beautiful 125, I sold my last one for £125, it was in Mint Condition, WHAT A FOOL

Put the TD160s in the local paper classifieds section along with the RB250, but decided in case they don't sell to perhaps combine the two, so this evening put together an armboard.

013ff59e-b16a-4c35-a2c4-37c346521249_zps0afcc18a.jpg

DSCF4948_zpsef031a00.jpg

Quite pleased with how that turned out!

Paul

Thorens kit used in the past, TD160, TD160s plus a Misson 774 arm, got a Td 150mk2 some where purchased as a project,but never seen the light of the day.

My first post on the Thorens Club. I started with TD150s, a TD160, and latterly 6 x TD124s. Currently I own three - one a stripped down version which I demo'd at Scalford a few years back. The other 2 are in a DJ console which has just replaced a Cranfield Rock. The RH one is currently playing with a bog standard RB300 and an AT33PTG.

My question to you TD124 owners is - do you take the DJ top platter off or leave it on?

I have always played it without the flimsy top platter; havent given it a second thought though I havent done a comparison.

I was at Montesquieu's last night and he plays it with the top platter in place.

Yet to me it looks a sonic abomination..

Any views?

Imo the conventional cut out dimensions of TD124 and Garrard 401/301 templates leave something to be desired. Its best to get as much of your plinth material where it counts - underneath the motor unit.

To that end my efforts always start with cutting out a biggish section from the middle of the would be plinth and then chipping away with a smaller angle grinder (assuming marble/granite/slate) until the motor unit fits. This maximises the damping effect as you have more matter inside the perimeter.

The TD124 has three studs underneath which are involved in the top platter operation. The normal cut out template must take account of these thus increasing the cut out dimensions and lessening the damping factor. If you ditch the top platter then you can remove these studs. Initially, I had left the studs in place even though I had removed the top platter - this prevented the motor unit from sitting flush with my granite plinth. Removing them (but keeping them safe for resale) enabled me to maximise the damping by using a smaller than normal cut out.

If you use rubber grommets or similar to cushion the motor unit from the plinth you may not need to remove the studs. However, my view is the TD124 sounds best when clamped firmly to the plinth and with the 'DJ' top platter removed.

I picked up a functional but somewhat shabby Thorens TD-125 today. It has a Grace arm fitted and the best part of another for spares. This is just as well because the arm lift is loose/broken and the black plate that the lift sits on is cracked at the corner. Also the lid is very rough but I'm hopeful it will respond to a polish. I've never tinkered with a turntable before and I'm thinking this deck could be fun to learn on. Lots of research required.

2016-01-17%2015.11.58_zpsmg8uv0g9.jpg

2016-01-17%2015.12.50_zpsdzkmghzr.jpg

2016-01-17%2015.13.36_zpspvrhszey.jpg

2016-01-17%2015.12.37_zpsvvpfgij1.jpg

My friend inherited his brothers system and drove it down the 4 mile dirt track to his cottage. Lots of damage to the Thorens :(

Remade all the securing posts and after setting it up it sounded great.

1NEnNAp.jpg

Super Wammer

My first TT was a Thorens TD160B MkII. Bought used with a Mayware Formula IV MkIII. Lovely deck, appallingly set up by previous owner or the shop - I learnt a lot about how to set up a suspended deck. First cart was a NAD9200, then a Nagaoka MP11 and finally an MP20. Part way through its life I swapped out the arm for an AT1120 which didn't sound quite as good, but didn't need adjusting every 3 records or so. When I moved to CD as a main source, the Mayware went back on.

Thorens+Top+View.jpg

I an fitting a rb300 to a td125 using an armboard adapter from sound supports. Is this a DIY job or a likely disaster waiting to happen. Anyone know where to get a template for setting out the position? Thanks

Also, what about fitting a cartridge. How do you line it up??

Baerwald protractor found.