The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

killie99

Thorens Thorens Thorens

I really like your 125 MJ

Super Wammer

I have a 125 which got damaged inc the SME arm broken in 2 places, luckily covered on home insurance, so I went for it sent it to inspire for a re-build, new chassis, solid maple, separate psu x1 arm and now going through a project rs phono, will never sell it sounds FANTASTIC, cant believe the difference, will try and put some pics up for you to view

Pete

Super Wammer

Oldius whats that fantastic looking arm you've got >

pere

Very nice indeed. I've had two TD124/IIs, a TD125/II and a TD160. All lovely in their way. Sorta wish I still had one of my 124s, but it wouldn't get played next to my Verdier.

Super Wammer

I bought a used TD125 with Mission arm and a cartridge I have forgotten for about £100 when LP was less fashionable than now. My daughter has it now but never plays it, too busy with small children.

I gave it a bit of tlc when I got it, the suspension was every which way.

I would be happy to use it myself.

A friend has a mint 124 which he offered to me. I don't want to rip him off and when I looked at current prices I wouldn't buy it.

Thorens has been a superb engineering company which was presumably knocked out of kilter by CD's arrival. A quick look at the web site reveals nothing at the 124 or 125 level being made now (IMHO)

Oldius whats that fantastic looking arm you've got >

pere

That's an Audiomods Series IV Pere. I have sold that now and I am using an Origin Live Conqueror on the Thorens. The Audiomods is a really good arm though and an aesthetic match for the chrome edged platter of the 125.

Super Wammer

thanks oldius I don't think I could have sold it - beautiful, I have a x1 from inspire which is fantastic, oh I spelt my own name wrong !

its Pete!

Tough call for me too Pete. It is a fabulous deck and the OL arm has the smoothest bearings of any I have owned.

B'Jesus some lovely looking decks there! l am beginning to fall in love with the looks of the TD124, but any road keep the pictures coming.:^

Here is something a bit more recent from Thorens, my old TD2010, which I used for three or four years before we left Australia. It replaced a Rega Planar 3 that had seen 18 service in my various systems and homes.

5827709199_e27834d66d_z.jpg

The arm is an RB250 clone IIRC, which matched the Ortofon Rondo blue very nicely. The deck looked lovely, but was an absolute dust magnet, so we had a cover made as I am not a fan of dusting, especially near an MC cartridge.

5827711201_5115705682_b.jpg

This new cover was fine for keeping the dust off, but at the time there was a lengthy (think 4-year) drought on in Oz, and so the deck also produced prodigious amounts of static electricity for much of the year, which was impossible to deal with, even with a humidifier.

A couple of years before we left Oz, I inherited a very nice turntable from a very close family friend, so the Thorens was sold as it was surplus to requirements. Out of all the turntables I have owned, this was the nicest looking machine, and made lovely music. However, unlike the other turntables I have owned, I don't really miss it as the issues with dust were irritating but the static discharges were a total pain in the backside.

Lovely looking pictures caps keep 'em coming.:^

Guest MJ.
So, Thorens.

I love them. 150's, 160's and now a 125 Mk2. The 125 has shown a clean pair of heels to my old fruitbox for about a quarter of the price. When I've finished tarting it up I'll post some pics - just waiting on a new plinth being hand crafted and all will be revealed .....

Any pics yet Stuart ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 125 which got damaged inc the SME arm broken in 2 places, luckily covered on home insurance, so I went for it sent it to inspire for a re-build, new chassis, solid maple, separate psu x1 arm and now going through a project rs phono, will never sell it sounds FANTASTIC, cant believe the difference, will try and put some pics up for you to view

Pete

Any pics yet Pete ?

plinth is taking a little longer than anticipated to get made - hopefully have it soon!

I wrote up a wee bit on the restoration of it in a DIY thread here.

Here is something a bit more recent from Thorens, my old TD2010, which I used for three or four years before we left Australia. It replaced a Rega Planar 3 that had seen 18 service in my various systems and homes.

5827709199_e27834d66d_z.jpg

The arm is an RB250 clone IIRC, which matched the Ortofon Rondo blue very nicely. The deck looked lovely, but was an absolute dust magnet, so we had a cover made as I am not a fan of dusting, especially near an MC cartridge.

5827711201_5115705682_b.jpg

This new cover was fine for keeping the dust off, but at the time there was a lengthy (think 4-year) drought on in Oz, and so the deck also produced prodigious amounts of static electricity for much of the year, which was impossible to deal with, even with a humidifier.

A couple of years before we left Oz, I inherited a very nice turntable from a very close family friend, so the Thorens was sold as it was surplus to requirements. Out of all the turntables I have owned, this was the nicest looking machine, and made lovely music. However, unlike the other turntables I have owned, I don't really miss it as the issues with dust were irritating but the static discharges were a total pain in the backside.

That is a very pretty deck.:cool: