Guest soulman

First Watt diy amps

Guest soulman

Anyone ever built or listened to the diy First Watt amps (F5, F4, Aleph) as I'm considering this as an option for a power amp, seems like a lot of amp for the build cost and class a should work nicely with my speakers. Cost is around £400 including case and all components for a F5 (25W into 8 ohms), their passive pre is around £90 to build and is supposed to sound top notch.

yes i was looking at the first watt pre but the dual volume control put me off

You could try posting this in the DIY section, those into DIY have more chance of seeing it as the thread won't be on page two in a few hours

Guest soulman

Thanks robster, I've already joined on there but it's a case of asking the converted. All of the reviews are positive and the diy ones, by all accounts can be as good or very close

I built an Aleph 30 some years ago. I have also tried a couple of Aleph preamps.

I have built many 10s of amps and the Pass stuff is the most dissapointing - very "hifi" sounding i.e. super clarity, holographic imaging etc but somehow rather poor at portraying melodies and rhythms. Must admit I seem to be very much in the minority with this view.