hifinutt

audionote thread

Roughly what would you pay for a M2 and M3 used in the UK?

There is an M2 in the classifieds. I sold my early M2 with phono stage for £700ish.

I listened to Nick's old M3 against his Modwright. The Modwright was quite a lot better imo.

That M3 looks lovely, I'm waiting for my dealer to get his OTO Signature in, then I can demo that with his OTO SE and make some decisions about an amp to drive my AN/Js

I was listening to an OTO SE with AN/Js at the weekend, (with a lovely Garrard 301). Not surprisingly they work extremely well together. The OTO is a bit of a jewell in the AN crown.

- - - Updated - - -

Roughly what would you pay for a M2 and M3 used in the UK?

The M3 would be £2k to £3k (or more) depending on age and whether a phono stage was fitted.

Admin

Cheers.

I had Nick's M3 here for a couple of hours enroute to it's new owner.I should have plugged it to my system for a listen :doh:

I finally had an Oto SE in the house recently all be it a heavily modded one which belongs to Chris (hearingisbelieving) when we compared the Oto against my Mastersound there was not that much in it, the sonic signature was very very similar indeed.

On another note when we compared his Dac 2.1 signature again a modded one, the difference between the AN and my Jolida was somewhat a different story, in all honesty the AN Dac was far superior in all areas of performance, to be blunt it pissed all over my Jolida!

Ive know given up on the idea of getting an Oto as its too much of a sidewards move, Im still looking at alternate amplifiers such as a 300B model and Im also considering a AN dac.

I also recently had over AlanB with his Lavardin amplifer and again the AN-K's worked very well with his amp and sounded sublime!

All this AN talk is making me want to try the AN P2SE amp that's on eBay at the moment. Has anyone experience of this amp?

I finally had an Oto SE in the house recently all be it a heavily modded one which belongs to Chris (hearingisbelieving) when we compared the Oto against my Mastersound there was not that much in it, the sonic signature was very very similar indeed.

On another note when we compared his Dac 2.1 signature again a modded one, the difference between the AN and my Jolida was somewhat a different story, in all honesty the AN Dac was far superior in all areas of performance, to be blunt it pissed all over my Jolida!

Ive know given up on the idea of getting an Oto as its too much of a sidewards move, Im still looking at alternate amplifiers such as a 300B model and Im also considering a AN dac.

I also recently had over AlanB with his Lavardin amplifer and again the AN-K's worked very well with his amp and sounded sublime!

Interesting your comments about the DAC. I have only heard the Jolida once, but to my ears even my AN 2.1x (non signature) was better.

Anyone had the chance to compare a Meishu with either the Oto SE or Oto SE Sig?

Interesting your comments about the DAC. I have only heard the Jolida once, but to my ears even my AN 2.1x (non signature) was better.

Anyone had the chance to compare a Meishu with either the Oto SE or Oto SE Sig?

In all honesty given the price of the Jolida compared to the AN Dac then I would have expected the AN Dac to perform considerbaly better, the RRP of the AN 2.1x signature is £3500 and the Jolida is around the £600 mark. It does to go to show that all dacs dont sound the same!

Guest BD Audio

Big difference in price indeed.

Btw, I don't believe the Oto Se Chris owns sounds that much like an Oto Se any more. He's changes all the guts about.

Audionote fit the components they fit for a reason, to give a certain sound.

indeed and I was going to add that but it slipped my mind. When I was listening to DACs I set off with the view that I was going to end up with a Jolida to replace my Young DAC, and indeed for its price, the Jolida does punch above its weight - I certainly preferred its presentation of music to the Young, but when given the opportunity I was blown away by the AN 2.1x and at a great price used.

Having heard it a few times now, I think the Jolida DAC punches way above its weight. Compared with similar others, it's a somewhat of a bargain IMHO. The 'good' AN DACs (read, 2.1 upwards) are some of the best I have ever heard, but equally are considerably more costly. Daft stuff aside, I think this is one area (the other being AN pre-amps and SUTs) where price is genuinely reflected by performance.

That said, it all does have a certain 'sound' to it. One which I happen to like greatly. Others (sorry Serge) will disagree. It is colouration, without doubt, but to me it is immensely enjoyable colouration.

• Upvote 1

Btw, I don't believe the Oto Se Chris owns sounds that much like an Oto Se any more. He's changes all the guts about.

Audionote fit the components they fit for a reason, to give a certain sound.

Understand what your saying Jack but a dealer who sells both said it would be a sideward move and I do tend to agree with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest BD Audio

Wasn't challenging that at all Lee, just mentioning that to get a handle on an Oto Se you need to hear one as Audionote visioned.

indeed and I was going to add that but it slipped my mind. When I was listening to DACs I set off with the view that I was going to end up with a Jolida to replace my Young DAC, and indeed for its price, the Jolida does punch above its weight - I certainly preferred its presentation of music to the Young, but when given the opportunity I was blown away by the AN 2.1x and at a great price used.

I couldn't agree more with what your saying, a used 2.1x is a bargain, a new one is a different situation, I certainly wouldn't buy a new one as the difference is not justifiable.

The Jolida is a great Dac and does punch above its weight and for the time being I'll be hanging onto it

I wouldn't disagree either. The Mastersound is an extremely good amplifier, and with a similar sonic signature to AN stuff. The OTO is incredible at the (used) price, but I wouldn't see it as an upgrade Lee.

Wasn't challenging that at all Lee, just mentioning that to get a handle on an Oto Se you need to hear one as Audionote visioned.

Indeed mate, it's just that the ideal match for my speakers would be the Oto SE according to Audionote but I do feel that it would be too much of a side step, with that in mind I'll either hang onto it or look at a 300 B and go for a different flavour of sound

Just out of curiosity have you heard the Mastersound EL34 amp?