hifinutt

audionote thread

9 minutes ago, bandit pilot said:

Most cables lift veils. AN Silver lifts eyebrows :D

:D

I currently use an IO2 through a copper Slagle SUT for IO into a M3 phono. The Slagle is excellent value and has been compared to a S2 by people in the know. I've never done an AB comparison in my system, but I like to believe the Slagle is slightly better than the S2.

I'm probably still some way from pulling any trigger, but just out of curiosity, what upgrade would bring the biggest improvement (hypothetically speaking). Upgrades I'm considering include:
- IO gold
- one of the serious AN SUT's, e.g S8, or
- M6 phono, e.g the one in the Megastore

My gut says: SUT, M6, IO gold in that order. Any opinions will be appreciated

Many thanks
Chivas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went from an IO1 with AN-S2 to IO1 with Kondo KSL-SFz to IO Gold with the SFz.

The SUT was the biggest bang for the buck. There was an SUT bake-off at one Scalford, and IIRC the SFz was placed just under an AN-S9, but better than an AN-S6.

I went from an IO1 with AN-S2 to IO1 with Kondo KSL-SFz to IO Gold with the SFz.
The SUT was the biggest bang for the buck. There was an SUT bake-off at one Scalford, and IIRC the SFz was placed just under an AN-S9, but better than an AN-S6.

Cheers, very helpful reply and echoes my thoughts. There was an SFz on Ebay the other day, but that specific one has done the rounds and has been for sale on numerous sites over the past few years, and the guy wanted £6k+ for it so I refrained. S8 appear now and then for around the £4k mark. Unfortunately mostly from Russia.

Any idea how the S8 would compare to the SFz? I believe there if I'm going to make the jump it should be to a silver wired SUT, rather than a "better" copper one

I can't comment on the SFz as I have no experience of it. But my advise SUT wise is buy the best one you can afford. Mario of AN told me just that a year ago and he was on point. I'd plump for an IO1 with an S9 in preference to IO Gold with S4 say.  It's amazing how important the SUT is in maximising an AN MC cartridge's potential.  

A word of warning about buying S/H AN from Russia on eBay. There are some very well cleverly made fakes being sold from that part of the world. Buying S/H needs care and attention. I've heard a very expensive AN system which was made up of S/H so called bargains which sounded awful!  Be careful.....

33 minutes ago, Chivas said:

There was an SFz on Ebay the other day, but that specific one has done the rounds and has been for sale on numerous sites over the past few years, and the guy wanted £6k+ for it so I refrained.

Ridiculous.  You can get a new one for £4.5k

Ridiculous.  You can get a new one for £4.5k

I'm confused sorry, it was an AN-s6c

I can't comment on the SFz as I have no experience of it. But my advise SUT wise is buy the best one you can afford. Mario of AN told me just that a year ago and he was on point. I'd plump for an IO1 with an S9 in preference to IO Gold with S4 say.  It's amazing how important the SUT is in maximising an AN MC cartridge's potential.  
A word of warning about buying S/H AN from Russia on eBay. There are some very well cleverly made fakes being sold from that part of the world. Buying S/H needs care and attention. I've heard a very expensive AN system which was made up of S/H so called bargains which sounded awful!  Be careful.....

That's interesting! Guess I'll try to move up the SUT ladder as far as possible before I let go of the IO2.

I agree, won't buy a cd from Russia!

That's the old version which AN (Japan) reckon wasn't as good!

Second-hand SFz should be no more than £3k, but not many about.  There are good discounts to be had on AN (UK) stuff if you know the right people.

That's the old version which AN (Japan) reckon wasn't as good!
Second-hand SFz should be no more than £3k, but not many about.  There are good discounts to be had on AN (UK) stuff if you know the right people.

I've been told that the SFz is better than the AN-s6c. Is that true? For £3k and under 2nd hand it becomes a viable option...

I haven't heard the s6c but have read that the SFz is the same transformers but with the complex switches removed because they had a negative effect on the sound.

Super Wammer

great to meet vincent at bristol show and hear the audionote e 

Super Wammer

gosh read 28 pages of this thread , must be bonkers . has anyone tried diy stands under the speakers ? does it have to be 400 quid 20kg jobs ?   

7 hours ago, hifinutt said:

gosh read 28 pages of this thread , must be bonkers . has anyone tried diy stands under the speakers ? does it have to be 400 quid 20kg jobs ?   

When I had E's I made my own stands, four marble chopping boards from Argos and eight perspex rods, all held together with epoxy glue, I think it cost me around £70 all in, I still have them but not the E's.

Not the best picture of them as they're behind my hi fi rack with stuff on top.     

DIY AN E Stands.jpg

On the subject on isolating loudspeakers, having the pleasure of auditioning some Townsend Audio Podiums under my K's-loving them.:cool:

• Like 1