Chris@Panteg

Voyd owners club

Simon

I dont know, but my Ref has 54 0396 on the tt and the psu, and I asked a friend who should know and he confirmed my interpretation of it. My 0.5 on the other hand has no numbers on either the tt or psu..... so who knows?

I was only involved in the manufacture for the first 18 months-2 years or so although I remained involved with distribution/sales for longer until PQ sold his share of AI & set up ANUK.

It would be interesting to try & document the various iterations of Voyd, Point 5, Reference & Valdi along with some pictures. In some instances it was the psu that evolved rather than the deck itself. It'd also be useful to try to track down such reviews as can be found. Here would be as good a place as any to gather them together.

By way of expanding the thread, these are pics of my "Mahogany" Voyd 0.5 Reference, which I got new from Guy in Cheltenham in approximately 1993.

Voyd-05-motors.jpg

Is that a copper foil ground plane? I'd forgotten about that. Is your Point 5 one of the motors running at 1500 RPM variety? Do you have a pic with the platter off?

Guy

hehe, I had forgotten about that until I took the photo.

I actually stripped it down many years ago and added the copper foil in a vain attempt to reduce the amount of hash a Cartridge Man moving iron cart was picking up from the 3 motors - don't try this at home folks!

The 3 spindles are v skinny, much more skinny than I remember the Voyd, and much more skinny than the Ref, which suggests the motors are running fast, so it could be a 1500 rpm version. I will try to take a photo over the weekend.

4 times the stored energy but much much more dependent on the exact matching of the pulley dimensions & motor performance.

I heard one or two really excellent Point Fives although never owned one. That motor's optimal running speed was 1500 rpm which it would do from 50 Hz.

Never actually seen one of the 1500rpm ones, the AN version of the 0.5 seems to have extra mass rings added to the motor, but runs them at 750RPM as per standard Voyd. Did include the beefed up brackets. :dunno:

I'm going to stick my AI Delta Inertia on the Reference, fancy hearing what it sounds like!

Use the spirit level to get it level while a typical weight album is on the platter.

And post the pics :D

I switched my arm and cart from my 0.5 to the Ref and there really is v little in it. 0.5 seems to party a little more, Ref just seems hewn from solid, but really close call.

I remember trying a bunch on those AI Delta arms, one was the most amazing thing ever heard, the rest.... well..... just couldn't get them to work properly. Great idea though.

I think it ideally lent itself to a fixed plinth deck rather than a lightish weight suspended design. We did the same kind of thing to a few different arms. One of my best results was in taking the counterweight off an Odyssey RP1 XG. That worked really well.

Use the spirit level to get it level while a typical weight album is on the platter.

And post the pics :D

:^

- - - Updated - - -

I remember trying a bunch on those AI Delta arms, one was the most amazing thing ever heard, the rest.... well..... just couldn't get them to work properly. Great idea though.

That doesn't sound very promising! What was wrong with them?

It was back in the day at a certain hifi shop in Manchester I used to attend...... One unit came in as a pre production unit as far as I recall and it was stunning. The few later units which came in seemed to drift after they had been setup, seemed to be spring related. But don't hold me to this, it is a v v long time ago.

Maybe somebody else remembers them...?

My recollection of the good one is extremely positive, so it must be worth a shot :-)

Evidently we need to arrange a Voyd Owners Club track day

or some such paper thin excuse :D:^

4 times the stored energy but much much more dependent on the exact matching of the pulley dimensions & motor performance.

I heard one or two really excellent Point Fives although never owned one. That motor's optimal running speed was 1500 rpm which it would do from 50 Hz.

Pully from my 0.5

Voyd-05%20spindle.jpg

compared with pully from my Ref

Voyd%20Ref%20spindle.jpg

from the size of the 0.5 it would appear it may well be running at twice the speed.