The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

On 23/04/2014 at 12:50, Chumpy said:

FME the best way to learn how to pay to enjoy recorded etc music.

This is always a matter of expection, of cause. I'm spending to Linn to enjoy recorded music for decades now, and don't feel like buying from Linn is a bad deal.

Example: I bought the Linto phono preamp end of the last century as a fresh product, and when I remember this correctly it was ~ 1400 €. When I sold it 20 yrs later, I asked and received 600 €. Thus, enjoying recorded music with this nice device actually did cost me ~ 40 € per year, a fair rent I would say. Since I started to buy from Linn (replacing my Phonosophie TT by an LP 12) I'm less excited to read the HiFi yellow press, and to tweak and replace stuff by the year. I rather buy music than equipment, and enjoy listening.
The good thing about Linn is that they take pride in building sustainable high-quality stuff. You can usually hand it down to someone with less budget, when the upgrade itch gets too painful.

Just my perspective on this. Other's may see things different.

Happy listening, TMC

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Thinking of upgrading my arm and cartridge. Currently have an akito 1 and at120 cartridge. Can’t decide between the project 9cc and Adikt combination on the current majik models or to go for the Nima with something like a dynavector 10x5.

intending to use either a heed or icon audio phono amp into a naim atom. 

Want a good allround sound. Budget is  £1000. 

Also does anyone think the Cirkus upgrade is worth it? 

On 20/03/2019 at 23:31, JustinS said:

Also does anyone think the Cirkus upgrade is worth it? 

No. 

Maybe I've got cloth ears, but I've not found any of the LP12 "upgrades" particularly worthwhile. I got mine in 1982, to replace a Dual 505. I initially went to the dealer to audition a Rega Planar and an AR. The former cost about £180, the latter around £195 if I remember correctly. Each had strengths and weaknesses. Neither was quite right. My dealer brought in an LP12 and said "I know this is above your budget, but give it a listen". By the end of the first track my wife told me to stop messing about and to buy the Linn, for the tremendous sum of £230.

I've added a Lingo 1 and a Cirkus, and replaced the Basik arm with an Ittok (and the Basik cartridge with a number of others, culminating in a Lyra Lydian), but none of the changes have brought as much to my listening pleasure as replacing the Dual with the Sondek. I've been toying with the idea of a Lingo 4 and a Kore, particularly with the offer presently running, but when it comes down to it, I think I'll upgrade my amp to one with a DAC and streamer, and perhaps replace my 28 year old, rebuilt 6 years ago, Lyra.

Yea, I read so many articles where one person says they can hear a big difference and some people don’t notice...I think you have to justify the expense! I’m going to change my akito arm,  stylus and phono stage though..,but it may be cheaper to pick up a newer deck...

It's difficult to know what to upgrade first... I was contemplating 'upgrading' to a Nima arm from my current 9cc arm - I had also contemplated replacing my Adikt cartridge with an MC, but in the end I took a punt on upgrading the phono stage to an Avid Pulsus (that I got half price, which is still a lot of money) and haven't regretted it for a second. It's made the whole deck sing - the Adikt has become detailed and musical where I had found it a little harsh and, quite frankly irritating. I no longer listen to my music thinking about the equipment. I was shocked at the difference a phono stage could make, but I think it's worth throwing a fair chunk of your budget that way. 

Hi there,
Is there a difference between a akurate DSM and a akurate DSM exakt? What is exakt?
Cheers,

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

On 04/07/2019 at 17:43, Kubs said:

Hi there,
Is there a difference between a akurate DSM and a akurate DSM exakt? What is exakt?
Cheers,

All of the Linn discussions have moved to 

Super Wammer
On 04/07/2019 at 17:43, Kubs said:

Hi there,
Cheers,

Hey, Kubs!  As it’s you, a quick explanation is that the Exact has only digital outputs. It, therefore, cannot operate as a streamer except within a Linn active system.  There’s more here...https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/exakt

• Like 1

Hey, Kubs!  As it’s you, a quick explanation is that the Exact has only digital outputs. It, therefore, cannot operate as a streamer except within a Linn active system.  There’s more here...https://www.linn.co.uk/technology/exakt
Nopiano - my man! Thank you! I've been looking at the second hand market for a DSM and came across the exakt which was generally cheaper and I wondered why.
Are you happy with your akurate?
Hope all is well.

Super Wammer
38 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Nopiano - my man! Thank you! I've been looking at the second hand market for a DSM and came across the exakt which was generally cheaper and I wondered why.
Hope all is well.

Yes, thanks, delighted.  It’s now totally at home and easy to use with Kazoo.  Linn are offering 10% off the Katalyst upgrades for a couple of months, so a used ADSM doesn’t need to be nearly new, as you get a fresh 5 year warranty.  But, yes, you need to keep an eye out for a beguilingly cheap model that turns out to be an Exact only version!  

If you don’t need the preamp then the plain ADS, now discontinued, is quite a bit cheaper. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Hope all is well.

The Akurate exakt DSM or system Hub as it is nowadays called, is the control point for the contemplary Exaktboxes.

The DAC's are in the Exaktboxes, every channel will have is own DAC. You can only use this Exaktboxes with speakers that are Exakt capable.

If you use a traditional amp, the Akurate  Exakt DSM/system Hub is useless.

The Akurate DSM (a streamer with pre-amp) can work with the traditional amps. A lot more expensive though.

• Like 1

The Akurate exakt DSM or system Hub as it is nowadays called, is the control point for the contemplary Exaktboxes.
The DAC's are in the Exaktboxes, every channel will have is own DAC. You can only use this Exaktboxes with speakers that are Exakt capable.
If you use a traditional amp, the Akurate  Exakt DSM/system Hub is useless.
The Akurate DSM (a streamer with pre-amp) can work with the traditional amps. A lot more expensive though.
Thank you - got it ...!