1 minute ago, yeti2 said:

They were just so complicated I had my amps under the floor and spent most of my time down there checking all the connections were right🙄 

I never tried them with other amps sadly I do like the monolithic styling of them.

I imagine you're right and I wasn't trying to knock you at all, just to clarify.  :)

I respect your opinion and I just wanted to share mine as it's different to a lot of the comments. I did originally buy the 242's with the intention of going down the Linn Aktiv route but I'm so glad I didn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rv295 said:

I imagine you're right and I wasn't trying to knock you at all, just to clarify.  :)

I respect your opinion and I just wanted to share mine as it's different to a lot of the comments. I did originally buy the 242's with the intention of going down the Linn Aktiv route but I'm so glad I didn't.

No probs Ross We all tread our own path in this hobby 😁

The daft thing is they were fine passive but I was on the Linn upgrade treadmill & kept my blinkers firmly fitted. 

My LP12 has been and gone, the CD player became a doorstop, but at least my DS has improved with age.  From an operating system from hell, the dreaded Twonky software, to a mature system where it just works.  The kids don't get to destroy my disc's and leave the vinyl alone and are very happy driving the DS from I Tunes, leaving my NAS alone and it's FLAC rips intact.   Yes there may be cheaper/better solutions now, but I have been running this front end now for close to 8 years and it is still supported, unlike a lot of stuff I could mention.

The 22 /50's are a totally different animal with the dynamic power supply fitted,so much better in all respects!!,i only wish we could have heard the 242's with said amps and the missing link interconnects,i find now  that the smallest adjustment makes a difference to the sound,where as before ,you had to make quite big adjustments to hear antyhing at all!!

3 hours ago, Trigger said:

The 22 /50's are a totally different animal with the dynamic power supply fitted,so much better in all respects!!,i only wish we could have heard the 242's with said amps and the missing link interconnects,i find now  that the smallest adjustment makes a difference to the sound,where as before ,you had to make quite big adjustments to hear antyhing at all!!

I think I was so fed up with the whole thing mate & needed a complete change of direction. Even though I had bought everything SH I could'nt have justified the further expense of upgrading the PS's in five 2250's hoping that would improve things at the time.

Edited by yeti2

Still am I convinced after buying-enjoying many overpriced Linn products-experiences that they make the best basic tt/made the best - e.g. proper Kans.

Thank goodness I stopped buying them new when they went £25k + for stuff ...

Psychology-actuality ... lovely ...

My old fruitbox...

31679038125_8fb7160238_b.jpgLP12 with Nima by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

It's over 25 years since I owned my last LP12, but recently thought 'fuggit - I'm going to have another'. Yes, I know I could've got something better sounding for the money and I know it'll need a tweak every so often, but it sounds pretty damn good. In fact, since getting it a few weeks ago I haven't listened to so much vinyl in ages.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Well have to admit I am not huge fan of Linn many of their products (including the LP12) are good but not as good as the veneration they have at times recieved form both owners and the media .

I do have to admit that despite this I am a Linn Owner as I have a very lovely pair of Linn Sara 9,s which I use as my main speakers on my music room system . These were a serious long term itch purchase that I am very glad I went out and did. I have heard the Linn Kan and while they were good they were just a little bit too compromised in the bass and intergration of the drivers for me to live with them . When I heard Sara's on the end of two different systems (one a full Naim amplification set up , the other using a Nytech Receiver ) I was really surprised at how musical they could sound and the potency of the bass they produced.

So about two years ago (or could be more time flies) I managed to source a good set of Sara's from another Wammer and have enjoyed them ever since . They are by no means neutral and are not really anything like my Harbeths but they do add a joyous bonce and drive to music that for me is pretty much addictive. Bass is very good given the size but as Isobarik they have a hidden extra bass driver to charge the air. They are also very useful in needing to be as close coupled to a wall as possible so they are quite discreet .

If anyone has the desire to hear these and an original pair of KEF 103 Reference speakers (Circa early 1970's) then I will be making various noises at the Harrogate show so please look in if you go to the show and bring some music to play (CD only I am afraid) .

Edited by bencat
  • Like 1

Still believe in apt Linn suitably purchased-installed-maintained.

The fluted plinth still looks classy.

Any thoughts/experience on the Krystal cart? My ArkivB is getting a bit long in the tooth & I can't afford the Kandid.

This Linn thread seems to have lost a bit love, so thought I'd bump it into 2018.

I have a sort of Love/Hate relationship with Linn. I had an LP12/Ittok/Asak back in the 80s, which combined with Naim 42/110/Snaps + MA MD 852 sounded wonderful. It just seemed to work really well with Naim, in a way that I never achieved with anything else I'd heard. I liked the midrange bloom of the Linn and the Naim gave it the bit of excitement it might otherwise have lacked.

I sold the LP12/Naim in the early 90s and went with a more child friendly Linn Karik/Numerik + Kairn/LK100. This did me for many years until my kids grew up.

I'm a big fan of the Linn DS (own the Majik), but don't get on with their current amps (imo the more expensive they get, the less I like them); or their speakers, which are imo a bit "Meh" and there are better options for the money. Their Active stuff sounds better, but is so expensive, that I think there are better options for the Money.

Edited by CnoEvil

Super Wammer

Just a few lines to mention some changes that I have made recently in using my Linn Sara 9 soeakers. Firstly after a crossover upgrade to my KEF 103 these have moved in to the Music room on my main system and the Sara's are now in my spare room . Current system is as below

SBT Front end - PA1 Perpetual Technology Oversampler - Li Te DAC AH - Concordant Exhillarant Pre - Quad 405 Power - Linn Sara 9 Speakers .

This has been the same for around four or five months and gets listened to at least once every day if not more . Recently while working on a project for an Active speaker I need to have set of bi wires . After making them up and not being able to get the full active system in place I remembered that the Sara's are fitted for Bi Wire and I had never tried them this way . I am not a huge fan as previous speakers (Harbeth Compact Monitors ) sounded better single wired. However the designer did admit that he only made them bi wire as the market demanded that so they were not designed to work that way and take advantage of any gains .

I do not know if the same is true for the Sara's but it does not matter they really shine and improve by being bi wired . Bass is tighter and seems to have more texture . it also seems to blend with the mid and teble better sounding really as a whole . Treble seems to have alittle more air and cymbals sound more metal and have that shimmer you remember when you hear them live . All in all a very useful improvement for an extra wire run and somehting I would recommend to any other Sara owners to have a try at.

As another spin off of the Active speaker project I have recently aquired a second Quad 405 and when I was taking the system apart to put in a rack I bought from e-bay because the three shelf SO rack I had was a little cramped I thought what the hell lets go the whole hog and Bi Amp Sara's .

So as my Pre Amp has two ouputs (I have no idea why but lucky for me) I installed one Quad for the Bass left and Right and one for the Treble Left and Right . Results even though I have not been able to turn the volume up are very good indeed . Sara's do seem to like being Bi Amped as much if not more than they like being bi wired. Bass is now really tight and very tuneful it is hard to get it to show any boom unless that is how the music was recorded . Strong bass led music (Grace Jones , Lee Scratch Perry) now just pounds along with a real sense of ease and in the case of Grace Jones menace as well .

Up to this point the real achilles heal of the Sara's was always imaging . As they are designed (and used) with back close to the wall they lose this element of music in favour of the boogie and grin factor. Well I am not making any silly claims that they have turned in to Quad 57 's over night as they are still not strong in this area but bi amping seems to have brought as much as they can give and they do now at least cast an  image that is wider and deeper than the speakers themselves . They also now image a little height information and give you a sense if not spotlighted sound stage where musicians are playing .

I would love to put them back in the my music system on the main system to see what they can do but I am not sure i will ever be able to find (or afford , or have the space for) a second Krell KSA 50 so they will just at this moment remain where they are and i will enjoy there now much enhanced performance .

Super Wammer

Try the Quads one per side rather than one for treble and one for bass. This evens out the current requirement for each amp.

On 08/08/2018 at 11:59, CnoEvil said:

This Linn thread seems to have lost a bit love, so thought I'd bump it into 2018.

I have a sort of Love/Hate relationship with Linn. I had an LP12/Ittok/Asak back in the 80s, which combined with Naim 42/110/Snaps + MA MD 852 sounded wonderful. It just seemed to work really well with Naim, in a way that I never achieved with anything else I'd heard. I liked the midrange bloom of the Linn and the Naim gave it the bit of excitement it might otherwise have lacked.

I sold the LP12/Naim in the early 90s and went with a more child friendly Linn Karik/Numerik + Kairn/LK100. This did me for many years until my kids grew up.

I'm a big fan of the Linn DS (own the Majik), but don't get on with their current amps (imo the more expensive they get, the less I like them); or their speakers, which are imo a bit "Meh" and there are better options for the money. Their Active stuff sounds better, but is so expensive, that I think there are better options for the Money.

I have similar feelings about Linn. Years ago, my system was an LP12/Ekos/Troika/Linto, Karik/Numerik, Kairn, LK280 and early DMS Isobariks. It sounded bloody good.

All of it was bought used (Linn stuff could be picked up at reasonable cost back then).

There have been a few moments since then when I've wondered why I didn't just stop there...

5 minutes ago, horace said:

I have similar feelings about Linn. Years ago, my system was an LP12/Ekos/Troika/Linto, Karik/Numerik, Kairn, LK280 and early DMS Isobariks. It sounded bloody good.

All of it was bought used (Linn stuff could be picked up at reasonable cost back then).

There have been a few moments since then when I've wondered why I didn't just stop there...

That is similar. 

I don't really like their modern stuff....aside from the DS, which I rate highly.

There was a synergy back then with Naim, that really worked....in fact I preferred the LP12 with Naim, than I did with the Kairn/LK100. I haven't liked Naim since....and prefer the MD 852 to any modern MA.....I chose them over the Epos ES14.