The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

FME the best way to learn how to pay to enjoy recorded etc music.

As for e.g. Naim, often their best stuff is from pre-digital times when not as overpriced as their new money-makers.

Don't know much about Linn electronics but dare I mention the LP12. :sofa:

An iconic TT now in its 40th year.

I have owned my LP12 for 25 years. I have heard many other TT's but I still persist with the Sondek

A great second hand buy - much like Naim, many prefer pre Cirkus early versions over the newer versions. The beauty is that you can do as little or as much as you want in terms of tweaks - it hasn't got to cost a fortune.

• Haha 1

One of my wow moments in this hobby came from an mid spec LP12.:sofa:, amazing little system.

Why are people ashamed of their LP12s?

It is possible to criticise any turntable, since the technology of vinyl is delightfully but seriously flawed, but the LP12 has a long and distinguished record. (Pun unintended)

The only credible slur on its character is that it was a design stolen from Ariston.

Most of the 'it's a fruitbox' brigade are fruitcakes themselves, and need to more closely examine their own glasshouses (ie turntables) before they start throwing stones.

My heavily modified LP12 (thanks Steve!) is bloody magnificent.

Vivid4_zpsfd386756.jpg

An iconic TT now in its 40th year.

I have owned my LP12 for 25 years. I have heard many other TT's but I still persist with the Sondek

A great second hand buy - much like Naim, many prefer pre Cirkus early versions over the newer versions. The beauty is that you can do as little or as much as you want in terms of tweaks - it hasn't got to cost a fortune.

Indeed. I've had my fluted afromosia LP12 since 1980, so that's 34 years! I'm on my third arm. Originally it had a Rega / Acos, followed by a Mission 774 and now the Ittok. I did have the bearing replaced at the same time as I had the Ittok fitted.

A couple of years ago, I had a second-hand lingo fitted and a new cartridge (Benz Micro Ace SL) and it sounds very nice indeed, especially now it's back on a dedicated wall-mount.

I am looking to replace my LP12, probably next year, though it probably won't be with another LP12. I have my eye on a TW Acustic or SME...

FME LP12 (my 1st was 1982 - late into the game, as then-young/a student of whatever) best way to play proper recorded music.

Sadly, now most newer-vinyl is digitally-bastardised.

Still a great TT and a fully loaded new version is superb despite what the cynics might say!

Good prices on ebay for linn stuff, epically the power amps.

Have owned LP12s from the age of 15!!

Current one has an Armageddon motor PS and an EkosII arm on it with a DV20H cart

For user-enjoyer-purchaser-maintainer, best LP12 super for proper analogue disc replay. And Linn years ago made some great/best speakers/innovative adequate 1st RC- ever amps.

Do not feel that you have to overspend on overpriced new digital-era cobblers.

They were/are quite good for certain audio-titles also.

Still a great TT and a fully loaded new version is superb despite what the cynics might say!

A fully loaded new version is £15,000. I have very very very high expectations at that price point. The extent to which it is so different from the original, much lauded, pre-valhalla/nirvana LP12 perhaps explains why folk consider that early "star" a bit over-hyped by a near strangulation hold on the UK market. I am happy for anyone enjoying their LP12, but broadly feel it deserves the "perspective correction" it has experienced since I was last in the industry. And whilst one mans neutral is another mans coloured, the stock original LP12 was very different sounding from CD's (I mean tonal balance - not things like "glare"). In my (limited, but real) experience, master tapes then and now , sound more like a CD than an LP12 version. And the old PT Anniversary sounded more like CD and mastertapes. I am of course, hugely biased ;-)

A fully loaded new version is £15,000. I have very very very high expectations at that price point. The extent to which it is so different from the original, much lauded, pre-valhalla/nirvana LP12 perhaps explains why folk consider that early "star" a bit over-hyped by a near strangulation hold on the UK market. I am happy for anyone enjoying their LP12, but broadly feel it deserves the "perspective correction" it has experienced since I was last in the industry. And whilst one mans neutral is another mans coloured, the stock original LP12 was very different sounding from CD's (I mean tonal balance - not things like "glare"). In my (limited, but real) experience, master tapes then and now , sound more like a CD than an LP12 version. And the old PT Anniversary sounded more like CD and mastertapes. I am of course, hugely biased ;-)

I think that is very fair. I really enjoy my highly modified LP12. I can't claim it is perfect, no turntable is. I don't even think that there are not better tables out there, but I like what I hear which to me is the main thing.

There are fans of the various TT manufacturers, and people for some reason who seem to need to drag them down and come out with complete toss at times.

£15,000? - My LP12 was less than 10% of that, and great value IMO.

:^

I think that is very fair. I really enjoy my highly modified LP12. I can't claim it is perfect, no turntable is. I don't even think that there are not better tables out there, but I like what I hear which to me is the main thing.

There are fans of the various TT manufacturers, and people for some reason who seem to need to drag them down and come out with complete toss at times.

£15,000? - My LP12 was less than 10% of that, and great value IMO.

:^

Your LP-12 was used and at mates rates. :nerves: You're lucky you didn't have to spend weeks removing the AN badge too.

Joking aside, it does sound lovely mate. It certainly did when it came here on a musical eve.:^

I don't think the LP12's reputation is entirely down to how it sounds now. It may have been at the beginning but now you can get similar and better figures for a significant amount less. LP12's are now about a great deal more, about status and rank. If you have a fully loaded LP12 you have a card that says you are a member of a certain club. A club where your taste and wealth is unquestionable, and where in order to preserve your rank you are ready to dismiss pretenders who dare to fit none-Linn bits to the hallowed deck. Thus even if their deck has better numbers, somone with an early unmolested deck and LV-X will still rank higher.

I don't think the LP12's reputation is entirely down to how it sounds now. It may have been at the beginning but now you can get similar and better figures for a significant amount less. LP12's are now about a great deal more, about status and rank. If you have a fully loaded LP12 you have a card that says you are a member of a certain club. A club where your taste and wealth is unquestionable, and where in order to preserve your rank you are ready to dismiss pretenders who dare to fit none-Linn bits to the hallowed deck. Thus even if their deck has better numbers, somone with an early unmolested deck and LV-X will still rank higher.

I do know what you mean - we are not supposed to discuss other forums, but I will just say that I could not believe some of the stuff I read on the Linn forum. I think I was lucky to escape alive!

:)