HoopsOnToast

Hoops, Cheese or Beans?

Really enjoyable read Rob, really enjoyed the keesonics at scalford . Soundstage was brilliant on them .

Can't wait to hear your opinions on the ae2s . I briefly had some ae109 floor standers to play around with recently and for what they cost they were bloody impressive . The ae2s should be fantastic .

How do you find the avr as a pre ?

Super Wammer

To be honest, I am not sure if they will knock out the Kolts in my room. I have said it before, I will never sell the Kolts, again. :doh:

They are possibly the only thing that I rave about, and I can not recommend them to anyone as they are super rare, so the SCM7 (Open, Dynamic)/SCM10 (slightly laid back but much better treble resolution) are second in my recomendations that come the closest that I have heard. The Kolts fit perfectly in the middle.

The anticipation on the AE2's has been so long (the drivers have been away for 8 weeks now, but should be here within the week) it will be interesting to see how they do.

I have heard AE109's at a mates house as it happens, and they do quite well in his small room, with Arcam Alpha gear iirc as well.

I found the AVR200 to do quite well running as main amp considering with the Kolts in my old room, but then used it as pre with the new room into the Sony, then the Zen.

I prefered it with the Zen on its own, but I need multiple inputs so tried the Sony as pre again after a good few weeks as and works quite well, the MC input especially seems to go better with the DL103 than it did with the Rotel RQ970BX, which has been ejected atm!

I briefly flirted with HT, but actually I did not use it and prefer just the 2 channel for movies is fine, and actually sounds better!

8121838024_0f2c027bd1_z.jpg

Luxman PD-272 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Super Wammer

Piccadilly Circus-

AE2 and Denon PMA-2000AE In and Out along with the Decware. AVR200 donated to a mate.

7280780080_70f5eb2d51_z.jpg

Denon PMA-2000AE by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

7371358952_ca041845d1_z.jpg

Denon PMA-2000AE by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

7371359704_83d355deef_z.jpg

7186127925_0c5ec16f53_z.jpg

7163457169_a6e6cc7b47_z.jpg

System by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

7348667210_7665abd8fe_z.jpg

With the Kolts:

7280775590_ddb786e14e_z.jpg

System by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

I really enjoyed the little Decware, lovely soundstage and very vivid mid range, treble was nice and smooth and overall a very fast paced presentation. Lack of bass depth and outright power in bass transients was the only thing the PMA-2000AE did better, sounded a little flat after the Decware.

Came back to the TA-F670ES, which (like the 770ES) just tends to sound just right. Weakness is the soundstage definition and its intermittent problem with channel in-balance but other than that, the presentation is just right.

AE2's were nice, but I did not find them as open in the mid range as the Kolts, and I really dont need the extra dynamic ability they seem to have in my room. Not as bright in the treble as I was expecting though and actually quite smooth.

Vulcans finished-

7396432534_68cd2a4810_z.jpg

Kord Vulcan by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

But probably not staying too long, they are like a smaller Tornado (obviously) but in terms of bass depth and outright 'rock out' ability but they are better controlled in the bass. I still keep going back to the Kolt/ES combo, just right in my room.

Change in source for a bit of fun, another freebie-

2010-05-01-11-52-07.jpg

Would be nice to get a newer ES amp like the TA-F5ES to match :love:

And my first go at SUT-

7661055498_02004c1600_z.jpg

AU-320 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

So main the main thing is get the amp sorted, either get it a good service or go for a slightly newer ES amp I think.

Dont think I will be changing the speakers at any point soon and early impressions of the S9000ES makes me think it may stay a while too! The DL-103 is doing OK, not convinced its set up 100% yet so a bit of fiddling about there I think.

• Upvote 1

Great read Rob, you will get a huge step in performance id you use a Dynavector 17d cart in preference to your DL 103!

The Vulcans look tasty with their new baffles, and with the cork you should get less diffraction.

Rep added.

S

Super Wammer

Cheers, Not looking at changing the cart atm, would like to have a play with it for a while.

Yeah quite impressed with how they came out, still a bit big for my room, or I am just too used to the very lean bass of the Kolts.

Nice job on the Kords, I may have to ask you for some tips on veneering. As you know I picked up some Quested H108 monitors using the same Volt BM220 bass driver but with a Morel MDT30 tweeter and in a very small ported box (about 10-11 litres by my reckoning!). Even with about 3 inches from the wall to speaker the bass output is low and non-boomy. Are the Kords sealed box or is there a port on the back of yours? I think I may have to give the cork baffle a go myself :-)

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

The veneering looks better in the pics than it does up close ;)

The Vulcans are a sealed box, where as the Tornado were front ported.

The Cork baffle was just 3mm cork rolled sheet stuck on with contact adhesive, went on pretty well.

Super Wammer

7442589360_26a4b4f089_z.jpg

S9000ES all lit up with the AU-320 hiding away....

And a brief flirt with the Teac A-H01

7661058074_67e9817374_z.jpg

A-H01 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Super Wammer

Still on the great amp quest. Not sure where to go next really.

A quick summary (with the Kolts as a reference speaker) and in rough order of what I would live with:

Decware Zen SE84C - Lovely Lovely midrange, speed and open presentation. Amazing 3D soundstage. Fast tight Bass but lacks depth and SPL/Bass Depth (to be expected)

Radford STA15 - VB bought this over at the bakeoff, was just stunning, did most things right that the Decware did but with some decent power. Not quite as Open and speed though. Way out of my price range now.

Sony TA-F770ES - All the bass depth and punch you could want, super smooth midrange and treble but not the most detailed in the treble/soundstage.

Denon PMA-2000AE - Pretty much like the 770ES but even more refined/laid back in the mid range. Effortless power.

Amptastic TA-2020 T-Amp - Fast, Open and great soundstage but lacking in bass depth and a bit thin in the mid-range.

Sony TA-F670ES - Like the 770ES but without the effortless power.

Teac A-H01 - Simmilar to the TA2020. With a bit more power at the expense of a bit of midrange and bass speed but more refined treble and bass depth.

Bantam Gold - Much like the A-H01 IMO but not as open in the mid-range.

Teac A-BX7R - Great all rounder, nothing stands out.

Rega Brio3 - Nice midrange but slightly graiting treble and weak bass.

Arcam AVR200 - Nice open and fast midrange but overall a bit 'meh'

Sony TA-F448E - Very 'Meh', made noise, thats about it.

What I would really like is the Midrange, Speed, Soundstage and overall WOW factor of the Decware with just 2/3rds the bass prowess and punch of the 770ES/PMA-2000AE and I would be happy. Answers on a postcard. :upgrade: (and under £500)

I fancy trying the Behringer A500 again, I really did not like it as an integrated, but willing to give it another try with a suitable pre.

I would have liked to try the Consonance Cyber 10SE with the Kolts, but their ownership did not overlap by a year or so :( Another that might have worked was the Audiolab 8200A I borrowed a while with the SCM7's and that worked really well but sounded a little thin in the midrange, as did the 8200MB mono's but they are far out of my budget now.

I may have to have another bake-off! :whistle:

Long term, the Kolts will still be the reference and the Sony S9000ES CDP will be staying I think, very very impressed with it! The CD-850 is backup as the Sony does not play CD-R's :clout:

Determine what brand it plays best and copy your non-players on to that make. I had a Sony DVD player that wouldn't play CD-R's but would play -RWs! If the player really is that good it is worth the effort.

Super Wammer

Good idea, we are only talking about 10 or so CD's so I will probably just buy a new copy, most if not all of them are copys of old cd's anyway!

Super Wammer

Cheers Paul, will keep an eye out. Still ruing that missed chance last year for that AN Zero Pre/Power combo that went for £400, that was a super duper bargain!

Super Wammer

I was really impressed with HIB (Chris??) Oto at Scalford earlier in the year:^

What I would really like is the Midrange, Speed, Soundstage and overall WOW factor of the Decware with just 2/3rds the bass prowess and punch of the 770ES/PMA-2000AE and I would be happy. Answers on a postcard. :upgrade: (and under £500)

What about XTZ AP-100. Sounds like just what you are looking for?

Would be happy to attend a bakeoff for you but oxford is a tad far!

Butuz