HoopsOnToast

Hoops, Cheese or Beans?

Super Wammer

Well, a slightly unplanned change....

Kef-09.jpg

I had been looking to try something a bit smaller than the Rega R9s, that do image/soundstage better. This was mainly centred around looking at the ATC SCM10-2A but it was proving hard to find a pair. Since I worked in the hifi shop a good few years back, I had a great admiration for the previous KEF Reference range having heard the 203/2, 205/2 and a little of the 207/2. I had however, never heard the smaller 201/2.

Basically, a pair came up, in the above Maple finish and decided to give them a go!

Full impressions at the weekend once I've got over this cold! :(

37345391862_04be2047ef_c.jpg

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They look tidy, I used to have some KEF Q1 when they first came out and they had some good properties. These are a little more advanced however!

I haven't listened to to the hifi for a week due to a cold, everything sounds muffled :-(

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, freefallrob said:

They look tidy, I used to have some KEF Q1 when they first came out and they had some good properties. These are a little more advanced however!

I haven't listened to to the hifi for a week due to a cold, everything sounds muffled :-(

Yeah, many many years ago I had a pair of XQ1s (below), pretty much tarted up Q1s which I did not get on with that much, did start my Rega journey with a Planet Mk1 and pair of R3s though. All of the smaller KEF (and Tannoy) Uni-Q/Dual Concentric speakers I have had tended to lack something, and not the smoothest through the midrange.

These 201/2s however, I think are probably the 'Highest Fidelity' speakers I've owned, more so than the ATC SCM7/SCM10 I think....

36649482054_92f0b38f9f_c.jpg

Other than that, KEF wise it was the excellent 104/2s

8456027430_f34d15aab9_c.jpg

Edited by HoopsOnToast

Super Wammer

37387646421_24441fd76f_c.jpg

KEF UNI-Q by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Well, a week in and still liking what they do, after a little experimentation with positioning, they seem quite flexible in that regard.

Bass wise, really impressed, good punch and depth, even with the Rega Pre/Power and not missing anything I don't think over the Transmission Line - Rega R9s.

What I do love though, is the Mid and Treble, really smooth and extended, no harsh notes at all, certainly get the feeling thats whats coming out is pretty much whats going in! The R9s, I love them but they do add a certain gloss, and everything sounds good, if not great but never outstanding, if that makes sense. The R9 still hold up, as speakers that I have had that do the 'least wrong'.

Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Like 1