peter-ward

Nottingham Analogue

However, Oscar Wilde once said that "but the highest form of intelligence," :geek:

I turn my back for a few minutes and look what happens! :)

TBH there are times now when I almost feel like I'm listening to real instruments. I'm sure people spending megabucks get that feeling more often, perhaps even all the time, but for me it's good that it happens occasionally. I remember when I first started out in hi-fi, with an Arison RD80, Creek CAS4040 and Mission 700s, that it didn't happen at all but I enjoyed it anyway. I still have the Creek -- my wife uses it in her study -- a good £100 investment I think. Oh and the Missions too, though there're in the loft because I don't have a use for them at present. Conveying the emotion in the music is what's important to me, though I also love a good image and deep bass, and I've been fortunate to have had that in the various kit I've had over the years. I think what I have now is the best I've had and the NA is a key part of that.

And yes, my wife is quicker to hear changes than me :)

First post, here's my Ace Spacedeck with heavy upgrade kit, SME IV arm rewired with Ikeda silver, Oyaide mat and weight and Denon cart - Love it!

DSC_4885_zpsf84f80dc.jpg

Wow - very nice indeed :)

Did you feel the heavy kit made a worthwhile difference to the sound? I've got an Ace Space and was wondering about the Heavy Kit...

Lefty

Wow - very nice indeed :)

Did you feel the heavy kit made a worthwhile difference to the sound? I've got an Ace Space and was wondering about the Heavy Kit...

Lefty

Thanks! I can't comment on the difference as other than the cart I bought it as is used last year to replace my LP12. It certainly sounds good and I don't intend to replace it, will upgrade the phono stage at some point.

Nice one Paul, and welcome. Interesting choice of Amplifier ;-).

Thanks for that pic, Paul. The mat looks interesting. What difference do you find it makes compared with just using the NA graphite "mat" as a mat?

Thanks for that pic, Paul. The mat looks interesting. What difference do you find it makes compared with just using the NA graphite "mat" as a mat?

I haven't tried Peter, the deck was set up for the mat when I bought it, the arm has to sit high due to the thickness of the mat so without adjusting the arm height it's impossible to compare. To me it sounds incredible and blows away the LP12 that it replaced!

Thanks! I can't comment on the difference as other than the cart I bought it as is used last year to replace my LP12. It certainly sounds good and I don't intend to replace it, will upgrade the phono stage at some point.

Ah - no worries. I'm not in any massive hurry as the deck sounds so good at present :)

Lefty

Was wondering what mats us NA fans use? I find the Ringmat preferable to the rather dull sounding Achromat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

IMO the graphite of the Heavy Kit, which forms the top platter of the Hyperspace, gives the most neutral sound.

Tom Fletcher was averse to mods to his TT's.

So I tend to stick to Tom's ethos.

I use one of Les's (Soundampedsteel) stainless steel isoplatmats which seems to work well, and have topped this with a Ringmat to good effect.

Here is mine with the heavy kit, OL 250 arm and Rhondo Bronze cart. Mostly I play the vinyl onto the platter of the heavy upgrade kit

AA44B144-B5C7-45BA-B168-05F30D34FE9D_zpsqzdujhzt.jpg

Was wondering what mats us NA fans use? I find the Ringmat preferable to the rather dull sounding Achromat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I also use a ringmat. I've found the best sound is achieved when using no mat, but this means I have to stop the TT when I change records. With the ringmat, I can leave the platter spinning.

All other mats dull the sound too much for my tastes.

Lefty

There is a mat worth trying on a Hyperspace - I got it from Kevin at Definitive - grey colour but buggered if I can remember what it's called - you stick it to the platter - kind of carbon feel to it - anyone recocgnise what I'm describing? Mellstock another NAS owner uses one too. :-)