nsherin

The Arcam Owners Club

I'm only now learning about the A49 integrated Arcam amplifier, is it really that good? 50watts Class A? Does it sound good in the bottom end etc..?

Peter

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, macvisual said:

I'm only now learning about the A49 integrated Arcam amplifier, is it really that good? 50watts Class A? Does it sound good in the bottom end etc..?

Peter

Is it really that good? I think so, yes. I have had Arcam amps for 20+ years: A85+P85 then A38+P38 and an A39 up north for a year. The A49 is in a different Arcam league IMHO. Wonderful. It takes comparison with Pass Labs or similar to show any shortcomings. If you’re a happy Arcam owner today, the A49 is almost bound to bring a broad smile to your face.

You (and other Wammers) are welcome to hear mine in Leicestershire but will need to bring your own speakers as I now use mine only as a pre into active ATC’s.

I've been using a very basic old Arcam Alpha (version one) for years in my present audio system with superb results, I paid £35 for the integrated Arcam and it's used daily and puts a huge smile on my face.

I'm guessing the A49 must be leagues above in quality listening etc...! Is it true the A49 is no longer in production? So are second hand prices reasonable I wonder?

Peter

Edited by macvisual

Hi mac, the A49 has been discontinued  (in 2018 I think) it retailed for 4k but they tend to sell second hand for around 1600-1800. I had a Rega Elicit R before the A49 and it was a good step up in low level detail and dynamics with a bit more weight to the bass. Vocals have more emotion and really project into the room. On complex mixes, it is clearer, less congested and easier to follow individual instruments etc. 

Your Alpha is probably a little softer sounding - the Class G Arcams moved away from that to a more neutral slightly more exciting presentation I think.

As I was saying in my previous post, there are a few P49s on the bay at the moment (one brand new one). You would of course have to buy a pre amp to go with it (Arcam did the C49 which also come up used now and again) and I've heard that the Linn Akurate Kontrol (only available used) goes very nicely with it too (better than the C49).

Edited by VeraAndPhilharmonic

Flash - as you say, that new power amp would be a bargain if it matches the P49s performance. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it's not more or less the same amp (I think they've done away with the second set of speaker terminals though - probably to keep costs down). Maybe it's 30% cheaper as the R&D was done for the 49 models and they're trickling the tech down.

To be honest I get the impression that Arcam always had trouble selling the high end stuff which is a shame. These new ones are probably priced more suitably for their target market. 

If they do replace the A49 I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same case as the new HDA AV40, as the A49 used the same case as the FMJ AV receivers.

I already have/own a pre-amp, the Promitheus Audio TVC, my Arcam integrated is plugged into it using my Arcam as a power amp set-up with good effects.

Peter

Super Wammer
44 minutes ago, macvisual said:

I already have/own a pre-amp, the Promitheus Audio TVC, my Arcam integrated is plugged into it using my Arcam as a power amp set-up with good effects.

Peter

I suspect you'd be wowed by one of the '49s if you had the opportunity to hear one.

I'm not sure about the £1600-1800 mentioned above for an A49, I've only ever seen on at £1800 (or offers) and another at £2000, but they're still remarkable value at that price.

yes pogiboy who no longer seems to advertise much on forums had one for around 1500 quid . nintronics seem to be selling loads of new a39 at 699 which is cheaper than they go for s/h . well worth a try if you can`t get up to an a49 .   I still have my humble arcam in situ which has seen off a naim sn2 and a sugden a21se with my horns 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, hifinutt said:

yes pogiboy who no longer seems to advertise much on forums had one for around 1500 quid . nintronics seem to be selling loads of new a39 at 699 which is cheaper than they go for s/h . well worth a try if you can`t get up to an a49 .   I still have my humble arcam in situ which has seen off a naim sn2 and a sugden a21se with my horns 

I respectfully (always respectfully, Phil!) disagree. The A39 is basically the same spec as the OP's incumbent SR250 ie. Class G = Class A to 20w so this would be a sideways move. In the Arcam sphere, the only upwards move is an A49. No, I'm not selling mine, ever.

That pogiboy price is potentially misleading. Assuming it was in excellent condition, that is the lowest price ever for an A49. Realistically, one should be budgetting £1800-2000. Check out Europe-wide sold price on hifishark. And ignore the ridiculous "HiFi Occasion" £1100 one listed in Feb which has been taken down; that site is basically scam central and full of too-good-to-be-true (because they're not) hifi bargains.

• Like 1

ah good point re the sidways move . I guess i was just highlighting the rather good offer on ebay of the a39 from nintronics 

Has anyone heard the Arcam CD37? Reading some reviews back in the day they said it has a 'tonal richness' or warmth to its presentation. But in the real world? (I know it depends to a degree on amp and speakers).

As some of you know, largely thanks to input and advice here, I've just replaced an ageing Delta 60 with an FMJ A29 which I picked up for a good price - and I'm very, very happy with it. :)

I'm now thinking I need to look out for a replacement, at some point, for the Alpha 5 CDP which is also 30+ years old (bought new when first released, I think - although the Alpha 5 Plus upgrade came along less than a year later...).. It's still playing fine atm, though loading is now 'manual' as the mechanism failed several years ago...

Although the CD92 and Alpha 9 seem well thought of here, I'm with others in not wanting to spend a lot on something that old - particularly with moving parts + laser - and I'd rather like the aesthetics of an FMJ CDP to match the amp.

I've read through this whole thread now...quite a lot of it more than once..!  Also been looking at various reviews..
There are good reports and reviews of:

• CD23 and CD23T
  • CD33
  • CD36
  • CD37

But none re the CD17 and 27 (?)

The Ring DAC seems to play an important part in the earlier models of these...

So, given a hesitancy to invest £200 or more in a 10-year+ old CDP, which of these should be on a shortlist..? Do the CD17 and CD27 not cut it for some reason?

Just now, hifinutt said:

Ah, cheers Phil...
But, being fussy about looks, too, I want it to match the A29.. so has to be black I'm afraid. Suppose I could always paint it..! :D