glowingtones

IQaudIO Pi-DAC 24/192 DAC for Raspberry Pi

Does that fit straight onto the pi 2 or do I need to do some soldering.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Does that fit straight onto the pi 2 or do I need to do some soldering.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ah, sorry. Did not realise you were using Pi2..as I use this with original Pi...and no soldering..

Hello don’t mean to hijack the thread but im using a pi for htpc. I already have a bushmaster dac how would i go about connecting it to the raspberry.I’m presuming i would have to get Hifiberry

mick

Mick

Check out the hifiberry forum for any pass through problems with whichever OS you run on the pi.

This is also a good idea

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=93522

atb

Ronnie

I've been tying pi b+ and squeezeplug and a qaudio dac for 10 months and it has been flawless. Great sound, and hadn't missed a beat. Run it through lms on my laptop.

Thank you to glowing tones for the original inspiration

Well, they're for different boards aren't they? The Hifiberry will go on to the B+/Pi2 whereas the Wolfson will only go on the B. One of the advantages of the Wolfson is that it has more and better case options. I haven't tried then side by side yet (but at some stage, I will).

Well, they're for different boards aren't they? The Hifiberry will go on to the B+/Pi2 whereas the Wolfson will only go on the B. One of the advantages of the Wolfson is that it has more and better case options. I haven't tried then side by side yet (but at some stage, I will).
There is a new version of the Wolfson, rebranded Cirrus, for pi2 and B+

apart from line out and headphone out it will take a line in or even a mic in from a headset. It has a S/PDIF in as well as out. It's very versatile.

http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-accessories/cirrus_logic_audio_card

But is it now updated to equal the SQ of the IQaudio board ?

I don't think the chipset has changed at all, just the connectors as I understand it- so that it will fit a B+ or a 2. I can't comment on the comparative sound quality. But aside from the dac functionality it can also function like a digi board to output to an external dac via s/pdif. (and of course many other things: it even has very small power amps to drive a passive speaker!) I think the headphone output sounds fine- at least as good as(probably better than) my iphone 6.

On 5/10/2014 at 18:24, glowingtones said:

I've been careful to sit on the fence as far as comparisons go but it's about time I said something.

I thought the PiDAC was well ahead of the Wolfson, also it produces a much more involving sound than the onboard DAC in Squeezebox Touch. I've tried to test like with like and used the same din rail switched mode 5v 2amp power supplies for the Wolfson and the PiDAC. I'm running PiDAC at -9dB so I need to turn up the amp more to compensate for the lower output and I still haven't run into noise issues. I found that running it at this lower output took the 'fizz' out of HF without it losing 'sparkle' and bass was less of an assault on the ears, instead it was clean and well presented.

I gave up with my side by side comparisons because PiDAC was so far ahead it was a futile test.

It's interesting to hear that the sound changed when you swapped power supplies - so can you tell me ...

What was the Sony va rating ?

What did you swap it for ?

What level did you set alsamixer output to ?

Got useful information, just ordered one