Strider

Recommend me a DAC for around £600-700

I don't know what Pete means by 'the modded one' because there are a host of different mods. Most likely he is referring to the Clarity cap version, which I haven't heard.

It was the Modwright version I heard. Don't let me put anyone off as many on here say it is great in their system and as I said the room was a bit strange at Scalford. Best try it in your own room and if you don't like it send it back. I believe it really comes on song with the Siemens valves.

My requirements might be my limiting factor as ideally I really want balanced outputs (XLR), a choice of inputs and sound quality that is not bright but detailed, a midrange that is open but not shouty and bass that is controlled but deep and tuneful. I also crave imaging, I know that it is manmade (recording engineer here) but I simply love that 3D imaging and soundstage depth.

What recommendations do you have as my eyes are starting to bleed reading all the mixed reviews on the 'net.. Please help:hug:

Seems simple to me - no vested interest from me - just a plain answer that ticks your boxes

+XLR

+Multiple inputs

+ Price ( normally on ebay from about £500...)

And you are an ex recording engineer !!!!

Isn't it obvious....

Benchmark DAC1

I owned one a few years ago, and was mightily impressed, I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned previously ......

Arcam irdac at £400 and the hifi critic reviewed music fidelity v90 dac at £200.

The V90 is amazing for the money

I'm thinking of putting this back up for sale... http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?46415-FS-Perpetual-Technologies-P-1A-DSP-P-3A-DAC-P-3B-PS-with-ModWright-Signature-Mods&highlight=perpetual+technolog

Difficult to beat for less than a grand. Probably looking for £600 ish...

Except it isn't balanced outputs :doh:

I'm thinking of putting this back up for sale... http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?46415-FS-Perpetual-Technologies-P-1A-DSP-P-3A-DAC-P-3B-PS-with-ModWright-Signature-Mods&highlight=perpetual+technolog

Difficult to beat for less than a grand. Probably looking for £600 ish...

Except it isn't balanced outputs :doh:

I have a nice digi xlr to go with the above. JPS labs superconductor II

Post 43

Mark has been sorted for a coupla' weeks nearly. :D

I use the metrum octave dac 1 and am very hapoy.

Seems excellent value to me.

Fully ntend rebuying a jolida again to compare the 2. Though

I know Strider has bought and I hope is happy .......

Just saw this --- no idea about it but obv a good pedigree http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRELL-STUDIO-DAC-IN-STUNNING-CONDITION-/171647348080?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27f6faad70

i have posted my own thoughts on the Jolida dac, which are in the owners forum, bottom line for me, brilliant piece of kit, well built and fantastic value for money. Open to lots of tweaking and it doesn't have to cost the earth to do it, some of the valves ive been messing around have brought excellent results.

My dac was modded by Robert at Aired Audio, and has vcaps fitted, cant recommend this highly enough

Maybe wont suit every, but for me Im Loving it!