Petrat

EAR-Yoshino (Esoteric Audio Research)

I'd be very wary of older Wadia players. They still command quite high prices so you'd be looking at an expensive mistake if it failed.
If it is particularly EAR you are after, and need the DAC function, you are looking at the Acute 3. This old thread discussed Wadia vs. EAR, though not in much detail:
There is also the more recent Acute Classic which has several digital inputs and on-board volume control. Or at considerable cost, the Acute 4 transport and Acute 4 DAC (about £8k combined). The latter pair will play SACDs too via a dedicated link and if you believe the hype might just be the best CDP/DAC currently available.
I've been offered the pair second hand (and a TAD D1000Mk2) and there's some attraction in that the EAR has a built-in volume control and analogue input so I could potentially ditch my preamp. However, the preamp in my system plays a large part in giving me the sound I'm after and I doubt either the EAR or TAD volume controls would be nearly as good.
If I were buying a CD player with DAC function now, there are plenty of options that give you robust transport mechs but they tend to come from established makers at high prices. Esoteric, Accuphase, TAD, more recent AudioNet come to mind. Possibly Audio Research. All involve hefty sums and complication for service. At least with EAR you are dealing with a company you know and I doubt they are the kind of outfit that would sell you a multi-thousand pound player with no hope of future mech replacements, unlike some I can think of.
Many thanks. Its an acute mk1 I'm looking at on flee Bay. It is currently at 730 euro and rising.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Bon chance :^

Bon chance :^
What do you think a mk1 is worth money wise?

Personally I wouldn't go over £1200 for a Mk 1 given their typical age but it's hard to say on that one - it's in Belgium. Also, that may not be enough especially at auction. At the very least I would message the seller to register your interest and ask if there are any operational or cosmetic issues not mentioned in the ad. I would also propose making contact by email or phone outside whatever site the ad is on. I would walk away if I hadn't had a satisfactory reply no matter how tempting.

There are many apparent hifi bargains, especially from Italy, Germany, Spain and Russia, incl. former Soviet countries. But sadly many of them are sham ads. Be very careful!

There are a few Acute Mk1s about - one listed at £1470 in Italy but I'd be very cautious about buying from there unless you can talk with the seller directly. Same for the one in France at 2200 Euros, which may have a small operational issue - avoid. You can buy from the US as the voltage is switchable but you will be hit by customs even for 2nd hand goods.

I'm sorry I can't really make any better recommendation - you have to do your homework and make a calculated decision.

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, DEdmunds said:

Another possibility is wadia 860, or 22. But no support, and old players you take a chance.
With mk2 and mk 3 what is the difference compared with mk1?
Thanks in advance.

The difference? Considerably more expensive!

The difference? Considerably more expensive!
I suppose so. But there must be a logical evolution to these players.
What would a mk1 be worth these days?

I suppose so. But there must be a logical evolution to these players.
What would a mk1 be worth these days?

Auction on acute mk1 ended. Very abruptly, back to the drawing board.
Where are ear yoshino dealers based in North West, or North Wales?

Personally I wouldn't go over £1200 for a Mk 1 given their typical age but it's hard to say on that one - it's in Belgium. Also, that may not be enough especially at auction. At the very least I would message the seller to register your interest and ask if there are any operational or cosmetic issues not mentioned in the ad. I would also propose making contact by email or phone outside whatever site the ad is on. I would walk away if I hadn't had a satisfactory reply no matter how tempting.
There are many apparent hifi bargains, especially from Italy, Germany, Spain and Russia, incl. former Soviet countries. But sadly many of them are sham ads. Be very careful!
There are a few Acute Mk1s about - one listed at £1470 in Italy but I'd be very cautious about buying from there unless you can talk with the seller directly. Same for the one in France at 2200 Euros, which may have a small operational issue - avoid. You can buy from the US as the voltage is switchable but you will be hit by customs even for 2nd hand goods.
I'm sorry I can't really make any better recommendation - you have to do your homework and make a calculated decision.
I thought about 1200 euro for mk1. Similar price to wadia on ebay. Do you know of a dealer in my area? I live in Wrexham North Wales. Perhaps I may be lucky enough to get one through the trade.

I thought about 1200 euro for mk1. Similar price to wadia on ebay. Do you know of a dealer in my area? I live in Wrexham North Wales. Perhaps I may be lucky enough to get one through the trade.

Think I'm going to just take my time with searching for an Acute mk1. Whatever I buy I'll send to be serviced. Just to be safe. A new laser mechanism is 50 quid, and labour is reasonable too, so I think it's worth the extra cost.
I'm off to Scotland next month so will pop into Jordan acoustics and have a chat, you never know, I might be lucky. Thanks for information. I'll keep searching. Dave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DEdmunds said:

Think I'm going to just take my time with searching for an Acute mk1. I might be lucky. Thanks for information. I'll keep searching. Dave.

You & me both... :D

I have also personally heard Baggawire's player, he very kindly brought it down to me ages ago when I was looking and so far I haven't heard anything better to my ears! Sublime, authorative and musical.

Good luck in your search. If you find two, kindly PM me. :^

You & me both...
I have also personally heard Baggawire's player, he very kindly brought it down to me ages ago when I was looking and so far I haven't heard anything better to my ears! Sublime, authorative and musical.
Good luck in your search. If you find two, kindly PM me. :^
Sounds like me finding hens teeth. It's going to take a while. But I found my 859 in hifi for sale in wrong section. So you never know.
Thanks to all again, Dave.

Sounds like me finding hens teeth. It's going to take a while. But I found my 859 in hifi for sale in wrong section. So you never know.
Thanks to all again, Dave.

For anyone interested there are a pair on 509 mk2 signature mono blocks for sale from hifi emporium no 75/250 5000 pounds. You just don't know when this equipment will become available.
Someone is going to be very lucky. Cheers, Dave.