barry2tone

Music of Brazil - 2014

Thanks for posting this - from the line up it looks like this could be a cracking album.

Trailer track from Bam Bam Bam.

[video=youtube_share;fJC_TmISaQM]

"Four Corners", a national version of Playing for Change, which brings together various musicians for peace and a world without borders. This project brings together talents from all regions of Brazil.

[video=vimeo;29546222]

Caetano Veloso heads an all star list with "I'm Alive" for the Rainforest Alliance. The video shoot is in the urban jungle outside Rio.

[video=youtube_share;FvIyRzm8JMo]

The chorus of Veloso’s song “Nine Out of Ten,” from his 1972 album “Transa,” provides the base for the music.

“Of the songs I wrote in English while I was exiled in London from 1969 to 1972, "Nine Out of Ten" is the one I liked best,” Veloso explains. “So I was happy when Andrés Levin suggested we use it as the base song for the Rainforest Alliance project. The idea was to have the "I´m Alive" chorus repeated as other artists (all of whom I love so dearly) sang or rapped on top of it.”

An ironic lament from Edu Kreiger, that he'll not be cheering for Neymar, given that the World Cup has done nothing for Brasil socially.

[video=youtube;pChBIBDZm5w]

Lyrics

World Cup 2014

Welcome to Brazil!

I’m sorry, Neymar

But, on this World Cup, I won't cheer for you

I'm tired of watching our people

Languishing slowly

On TV shows

While FIFA is concerned with standards

We are guided by thieves ......

Rio Rhythm Band's Carnival Da Cassa.

'Evil' Eddie Richards and Ian 'EON' Loveday RIP created this 1990 house track sampled from Bumblebee Unlimited's Lady Bug tune..

[video=youtube;jRbW7KguV8g]

• Upvote 1

Rodrigo Amarante (multi-instrumentalist and part of Los Hermanos, Orquestra Imperial and Little Joy), from his first solo record Cavalo (2013). To accompany this track, he reworked local carnival footage from '75-'76.

My sister Marcela, who directed and edited this video with me, plays now in one of the most celebrated samba-schools in Brazil called Mangueira and it was for her that I wrote this song. Maná is the grace, the gift, and Má is her, Marcela. This video is an homage to those who were part of this parade every year and especially the older ones who made it all happen and are a proof that despite our belief that we are so modern and free on the 21st century our parents and grandparents were a lot less square than we are. Well, at least mine.

[video=vimeo;84752896]

• Upvote 1

A recent release on the Mr Bongo series of Brazil 45s.

[video=youtube;1sRe6FxvJ6o]